The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Catching A Hairline Crack In Its Early Stages

snorkel maintenance section repair hairline crack

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironwampa

ironwampa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 18:11

I have an open nib Sheaffer's Snorkel and there is a small crack in the section. So far the crack hasn't had any functional consequenses as would be expected of a snorkel.  I was wondering if anyone had advice on how I can prevent the crack from becoming something significant.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 21:39

STOP !    

Put the Sheaffer safely into a secure container.

Email Ron Zorn.  (Sorry, Ron, if this is outside your limits.)  

He will do no harm, and I trust his work.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#3 onotopen

onotopen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 18:53

Check out 'Capt Tolley Creeping Crack Cure'.  I've never used it, so it would need a bit of research, and proceed with caution - I mentally 'tagged' it in case I ever get a similar problem.  It looks like it uses the capilliary action of the crack to fill the repair.  Worth looking into at least - and maybe someone else here has a view.

#4 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 18:58

Check out 'Capt Tolley Creeping Crack Cure'.  I've never used it, so it would need a bit of research, and proceed with caution - I mentally 'tagged' it in case I ever get a similar problem.  It looks like it uses the capilliary action of the crack to fill the repair.  Worth looking into at least - and maybe someone else here has a view.

I think this is used to prevent liquid seeping through a crack, so might be of use in an eyedropper. It will do nothing for repairing the crack, if that is what is required.

#5 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 19:38

Send it off to Eric Wilson Paul.

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 19:56

Captain Tolleys is not the thing to use.  It seals, but has no structural strength, and I am fairly certain will fail in this application.

Given the relatively low cost of the sections, in most cases it's more economical to replace it rather than have someone repair it for you.  If you want to try repairing it, use a solvent for acrylic.  You need something that contains methylene chloride.  Tenax-7R, or the stuff sold at hobby stores made by Plastruct should work.  Spread the crack gently so that there is a gap.   Use a soft artists brush (natural bristle) to drop some solvent down in the crack.  Let it close, hold it closed and set it aside for 24 to 48 hours.  With this stuff the immediate strength is pretty high.  It hits about 80% in the recommended time window, and then continues to strengthen over the the next few weeks.  Blending the repair is the tricky part.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 onotopen

onotopen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2015 - 22:14

Thanks Ron, I'll make a mental 'Tag' of that !

#8 ironwampa

ironwampa

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:06

Attempted the fix I think about 2 weeks ago. It turns out that the acrylic cements (containing acrylic) and acrylic solvents have really similar chemical names. Be very careful when picking your poison.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel, maintenance, section, repair, hairline crack

Sponsored Content

|