Matte Black Cross Bailey

PolarMoonman

Pen: Cross Bailey
Nib: Medium

Cost: $35

Packaging & Accessories: (8/10):

The pen came in a square box with 6 ink cartridges but no converter. The white box it comes in is nice and holds the pen and the ink cartridges. The only quirk with it is that the pen cap have to separated to be put away, there are two slots, one for the cap and one for the pen body, grip section and nib.

Appearance & Design (10/10)

The pen has a matte black finish and looks like a much more expensive pen. The pen also has some good weight to it. It doesn’t feel cheap or flimsy like some other plastic pens I’ve used. The pen has modern executive feel that suits me well. This is the only pen I have where I look at the design of the cap and barrel and can’t think of any improvements. So I’m very happy with the appearance of the pen.

Construction & Quality (7/10)

The pen is made of brass and is solid. No complaints about durability or materials used. One of the drawbacks with the pen is the cap. Now this may just be my pen… But the cap takes an excessive amount of force to get off. While it is amusing to let others try to use it and watch them struggle to get the cap off it’s a real pain. Another issue I ran into is that the cap doesn’t like to post, you have to apply a lot of pressure to get the pen to post securely on the pen. Being an avid “cap poster” this is an issue for me.

Weight & Dimensions: (9/10)

As I said before the pen has some weight. It’s lighter than the Parker IM and a little heavier than a Pilot Metropolitan. The pen is 5.25 inches when capped and 5.50 inches when posted. This pen posts shorter than most other pens I have used but you don’t really notice it while you are writing.

Nib & Performance: (9/10)

The nib on the pen is nice, right on par with the metropolitan. It is however wetter than the metropolitan. It’s nice to write with and I have had no issues with skipping or drying out. The design on the nib isn’t overly fancy but that’s okay, how it writes is the important part.

Filling System & Maintenance: (9/10)

The pen takes Cross cartridges and a converter but doesn’t take international cartridges. The pen isn’t terribly hard to take apart, I’ve already done it several times with minimal struggle and effort so cleaning and maintaining is quite easy.

Cost & Value: (10/10)

I got this pen for $15 and it usually retails for $35. Would I be willing to pay full price for one if I lost this one? Yes, I really like this pen. For me this pen is well priced at $35. It’s built well, good nib, nice design, wet writer, very happy with it.

Conclusion: (62/70 – 88%)

Everyone has that brand they don’t like. When I originally saw this pen I saw it was a Cross and was like, “Nope, don’t like Cross pens…” But later I came back to get it because I loved the design so much. I am super glad I ended up buying it. It is now one of my favorites better yet, I’m starting to lose my bias against cross. So all in all I’m very pleased and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

fpn_1421089479__bailey.jpg fpn_1421089521__s481936123699996266_p3_i

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apollo

• MidnightShadow

• PolarMoonman

• DaveBj

I have three Baileys, Black Lacquer, Red Lacquer and Medalist. All three writes well. The cap in the Medalist is more tight than the other two.

You can use the Cross Fountain Pen Converter orange or green, but the orange is more secure as it screw in the section.

Edited by MidnightShadow

• 9 months later...

Good review. Got one of these in blue as a gift from a work colleague. It writes nice for an inexpensive pen.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

• 1 month later...

I picked up one (matte black) for $20 today at Office Max, taking a big chance (well, $20 worth of "big"), because I bought a $20 Aventura from OM last year ago and hated it. So far, so good. The ink from the cartridge went straight to the nib (which is a medium). Nice, wet line; I'll use on some letters today. And it looks good :D

BTW, you can store an extra cartridge in the barrel of the pen, in case you run out. Don't know why they don't just make bigger cartridges with twice the ink.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 4 years later...

Hi ,

Everybody has an experience with the Bailey's EF nib ? I'm interested but I can't find any information about the widthness of the line and how is its smothness.

Thanks