The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Four J. Herbin Browns

j. herbin j herbin brown cacao du bresil terre de feu cafe des iles lie de the café des îles lie de thé

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jisip

jisip

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:40

It is a curious ink. The swab looks different to the writing sample. I'm waiting until our local group's pen meet next month, hopefully someone has a sample I could try.  I'm intrigued by how much influence paper choice have over the ink colour.

However, get a sample of Cacao du Bresil and see it in person. It is a lovely, complex color that toes the line between brown and grey. Only you can answer if the color is of interest, but Cacao is the single best behaved ink I've tried. I keep it in my pocket pen 90% of the time. 

Sponsored Content

#22 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:14

Very useful comparison. It's amazing how much of a difference paper makes. I have exactly the opposite reaction to them: love writing with Lie de Thé using a trusty Pelikan m400 F nib, don't see the point of the others: Terre de feu looks too pink, cacao too grey, café des isles very bland; but to each his own!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#23 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:33

Very useful comparison. It's amazing how much of a difference paper makes. I have exactly the opposite reaction to them: love writing with Lie de Thé using a trusty Pelikan m400 F nib, don't see the point of the others: Terre de feu looks too pink, cacao too grey, café des isles very bland; but to each his own!

I'm glad you found the comparison helpful. I think my issue with Lie de The is that it is too wet and/or too saturated. I think perhaps I'm expecting too much of it but I had dreams of that old master sketching with walnut ink on parchment color when I bought it. I wonder if a slight dilution will make me love it. 

I just wrote up a review for Lie de The, which I'll post as soon as I've tried the dilution and photographed a sketch or two. 

#24 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 00:44

I'm glad you found the comparison helpful. I think my issue with Lie de The is that it is too wet and/or too saturated. I think perhaps I'm expecting too much of it but I had dreams of that old master sketching with walnut ink on parchment color when I bought it. I wonder if a slight dilution will make me love it. 

I just wrote up a review for Lie de The, which I'll post as soon as I've tried the dilution and photographed a sketch or two. 

Well you don't have to like it... Although I've had it in a Pelikan m400, from which it shades like crazy.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#25 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:19

Well you don't have to like it... Although I've had it in a Pelikan m400, from which it shades like crazy.

I humbly accept your offer of a Pelican m400 so that I too can see this ink at its best.  :D

Actually, I want very much to love this ink. It was one of the very first I bought when I discovered fountain pens. And it's the only ink that I keep pulling out every other month or so and trying again.

#26 Papish

Papish

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:56

Thank you for the comparison :)
I like Lie de thè, but another of my liking is Cacao du Brésil. It's that greyish subtle what I like most in browns.

I feel some kind of contradiction with Café des Îles, because I don't usually like reddish browns, but... Terre de Feu is just too red for me.

Love Ambre de Birmanie, by the way :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j. herbin, j herbin, brown, cacao du bresil, terre de feu, cafe des iles, lie de the, café des îles, lie de thé

Sponsored Content

|