The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Four J. Herbin Browns

j. herbin j herbin brown cacao du bresil terre de feu cafe des iles lie de the café des îles lie de thé

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:21

_FUJ6351.jpg

_FUJ6350.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to compare the four Herbin browns.  Top is Rhodia dotpad; bottom is Strathmore watercolor paper.

Terre de Feu and Cacao du Bresil are two of the best sketching inks I've found. Lie de Thé is a gorgeous drawing ink that washes into a bold orange and sepia, but I never draw with it because it is such an ugly color to write with. I haven't found much use for Café des Îles. I considered including Ambre de Birmanie (one of my new favorites), but I consider it a yellow.

Parker Quink Black (really a dark, dark blue) on the far right was added because Cacao du Bresil reads grey among the other browns.

Anyone have a favorite? Hate them all? Prefer something else similar?

Edited by jasonchickerson, 12 January 2015 - 09:22.

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:24

I love Lie de The I dislike Terre de Feu, I don't care for the other two.

Nice presentation, thank you.

#3 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:28

I love Lie de The I dislike Terre de Feu, I don't care for the other two.

Nice presentation, thank you.

What is it about Terre de Feu that you dislike? 

#4 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:48

The color :) And this you can't help.

#5 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:14

More ink tests please !

These are gorgeous to look at . . .  :)

#6 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 13:51

Very nice, thanks for this side by side comparison. I quite disliked Terre de feu when I got it because I first used it in a dry, fine nib and the resulting lines were super faint and bland and (too) light. I then put in a medium Parker Frontier and wow, what a difference! 

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 16:05

I like the color of Café des Îles, but have been concerned about reports of grit in the bottom of the container (oh, well, I guess that's still better than SITB).  Couldn't make up my mind about Lie de Thé when I tried it.  Didn't like it well enough to merit getting a full bottle.  Have not tried the other two.  Don't like Terra de Feu on the basis I don't like red-leaning browns.  Might try Cacao du Brasil at some point, but it definitely seems to be a very odd color, to say the least.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 16:46

I like the color of Café des Îles, but have been concerned about reports of grit in the bottom of the container (oh, well, I guess that's still better than SITB).  Couldn't make up my mind about Lie de Thé when I tried it.  Didn't like it well enough to merit getting a full bottle.  Have not tried the other two.  Don't like Terra de Feu on the basis I don't like red-leaning browns.  Might try Cacao du Brasil at some point, but it definitely seems to be a very odd color, to say the least.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

If you don't like red-leaning browns, you're not likely to enjoy Café des Îles anyway. I had not heard anything about grit. I have a sample only so I can't say.

Cacao du Bresil is very strange. It eludes description and looks very different in different settings. It is very similar to Rohrer & Klingner Sepia and Iroshizuku kiri-same, which are two very different inks. I describe it as a very desaturated brown-grey with a whisper of lavender. Possibly it is very similar to actual cuttlefish ink (sepia).

I'll try to get a review up for Cacao du Bresil soon.

Edited by jasonchickerson, 12 January 2015 - 16:47.

#9 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 16:49

More ink tests please !

These are gorgeous to look at . . .  :)

Very nice, thanks for this side by side comparison. I quite disliked Terre de feu when I got it because I first used it in a dry, fine nib and the resulting lines were super faint and bland and (too) light. I then put in a medium Parker Frontier and wow, what a difference! 

Thanks to both of you. 

Yes, I'd rate Terre de Feu a 4/10 in wetness, so it benefits from a slightly wet writer. 

#10 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2015 - 21:23

I Have only Terre de Feu, I can confirm, its pretty dry, really need a wet pen, but I kind of like it more and more. Even that I did everything I can to avoid brown inks still not feel any regret for buying it.

#11 jisip

jisip

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:19

Thanks for this comparison! Just last night I was comtemplating how I didn't have enough brown inks and was considering getting another J. Herbin brown. I love Lie de The because of how drastically the colour changes depending on flow (Pilot 78G with a springy F nib). It was the first brown I got because of the four I think it's the one the looks brown. Terre de Feu reminds me more of the red bricks that pave our garage (and Qin Shi Huangdi for some reason). I recently got Cafe des Iles in a raffle and it's ok, but not enough to load in one of my daily writers. I don't see myself getting Cacao du Bresil anytime soon based on your comparison photo. It just looks too dull and pale to interest me.

P.S. Your comment on Quink Black being a dark blue reminds me of an argument between my dad and I on whether an unmarked Quink bottle had blue or black ink. I said blue, he said black. Turns out it was black.

#12 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:42

Thanks for this comparison! Just last night I was comtemplating how I didn't have enough brown inks and was considering getting another J. Herbin brown. I love Lie de The because of how drastically the colour changes depending on flow (Pilot 78G with a springy F nib). It was the first brown I got because of the four I think it's the one the looks brown. Terre de Feu reminds me more of the red bricks that pave our garage (and Qin Shi Huangdi for some reason). I recently got Cafe des Iles in a raffle and it's ok, but not enough to load in one of my daily writers. I don't see myself getting Cacao du Bresil anytime soon based on your comparison photo. It just looks too dull and pale to interest me.

P.S. Your comment on Quink Black being a dark blue reminds me of an argument between my dad and I on whether an unmarked Quink bottle had blue or black ink. I said blue, he said black. Turns out it was black.

I'm glad the comparison helped, even if it was to convince you not to buy. 

However, get a sample of Cacao du Bresil and see it in person. It is a lovely, complex color that toes the line between brown and grey. Only you can answer if the color is of interest, but Cacao is the single best behaved ink I've tried. I keep it in my pocket pen 90% of the time. 

#13 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2015 - 15:58

Lie de Thé.... FTW!!!   MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

I might need to get a sample of Cacao du Bresil... it might look interesting coming out of a Flex nib...    ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#14 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:36

Lie de Thé.... FTW!!!   MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

I might need to get a sample of Cacao du Bresil... it might look interesting coming out of a Flex nib...    ;)

C.

C, I'll try to get a Cacao du Bresil review up this coming week (or at least a flexed writing sample).

#15 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:19

I have a big bottle of Lie de Thé and like it, but I plan to try Cacao du Bresil--that grayish brown, without any red, is just what I'm looking for in a lighter brown. For a darker brown, Iro Yama-Guri is my favorite.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#16 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:29

I have a big bottle of Lie de Thé and like it, but I plan to try Cacao du Bresil--that grayish brown, without any red, is just what I'm looking for in a lighter brown. For a darker brown, Iro Yama-Guri is my favorite.

If it looks interesting to you, I'm sure you will love it. Please post your thoughts here after you give it a try. 

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 20:25

I love the comparisons. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#18 Red Dragon

Red Dragon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 23:37

Beautiful comparison!
I used Lie de The as a background colour in one drawing. Blending it with water gives a lemony bright yellow. It's such a nice gentle brown.

#19 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2015 - 23:52

Beautiful comparison!
I used Lie de The as a background colour in one drawing. Blending it with water gives a lemony bright yellow. It's such a nice gentle brown.

Interesting. Put enough ink down and my bottle washes a sunset in orange. 

_FUJ6390.jpg

Please post your work!

Edited by jasonchickerson, 19 January 2015 - 23:53.

#20 Green Ink

Green Ink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 00:19

Thank you so much for the comparisons! Must. Get. Lie. de. The.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j. herbin, j herbin, brown, cacao du bresil, terre de feu, cafe des iles, lie de the, café des îles, lie de thé

Sponsored Content

|