Great Prices On Some Sailors & Pilots And Iroshizuku At J-Subculture

miatagrrl

HollyGolightly.....at those prices you should try an even higher end pen. One with a gold nib maybe. Once I tried a gold nib, I kicked myself for waiting so long. Don't get me wrong, there are great steel nibs out there, but gold does have a different feel.... unless you already have one.... then I'll just go about my own business.

I don't! Not yet. Truthfully I am limiting myself a bit as I only began getting into FPs at the start of January, so my purchases have been in the lower price range and i gravitate to the options that have my preferred color choices (aesthetics matter a little! and I'm trying to keep my small collection cohesive when I can).

That being said- I'd love to hear any recommendations you might have, particularly any that are priced fantastically at this site. I don't own any gold nibs, strictly steel at the moment, but obviously dream of/would love to take a gold nib for a spin.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MediaVita

• Dr.Grace

• miatagrrl

• Inkysloth

The Pilot Custom 74 is an outstanding value. Writes very well. It only comes in black, clear and dark blue finishes. You could also try the Platinum 3776 Century.The least expensive models are black, translucent blue (Chartres blue), and translucent burgundy (Bourgogne). On j-subculture, they don't list a nib width on the Chartres blue model, which is strange.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

The Pilot Custom 74 is an outstanding value. Writes very well. It only comes in black, clear and dark blue finishes. You could also try the Platinum 3776 Century.The least expensive models are black, translucent blue (Chartres blue), and translucent burgundy (Bourgogne). On j-subculture, they don't list a nib width on the Chartres blue model, which is strange.

They don't, but they give the product number: PNB-10000#51-3. The "-3" part here denotes a medium nib, I think

-1 would be extra fine

-2 would be fine

-4 would be broad

Counter-intuitively, ultra-extra-fine seems to be -9 and -0 is soft-fine.

At least judging from product codes on amazon.com.

Thanks for cracking that code Hypnostene.

Are those two pens on the large side? I'm a petite gal, small hands, and huge and heavy pens don't agree with me much.

- The poster formerly known as HollyGolightly

Are those two pens on the large side? I'm a petite gal, small hands, and huge and heavy pens don't agree with me much.

My hands are fairly large, so I might not be the right person to ask. However, I find the Custom 74 very comfortable and light enough (I'm sensitive to weight and strongly dislike those heavy Chinese pens.) You'd probably want to use it with the cap unposted. If posted, it might be a bit too long and unbalanced for your hand. I don't have a 3776 Century (I have an older celluloid 3776), but from what I've read, it also doesn't seem too big or heavy.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

My Pilot CH 92 only took 24 hours. I paid for faster shipping so not sure if that had an effect on it.

Yup, I chose expedited shipping too (It was so cheap compared to other sites!). Hopefully it ships out during the weekend.

Ordered a Pilot Custom 74 with expedited shipping on Jan 24 and it arrived at my office on Jan 30. Pen was in perfect shape and I was very happy with the great price.

Well, gotta say the actual shipping was faster than the time from order placed to order sent out. They shipped it out on the 31st of Jan and it's already with the delivery courier today, on the way to my place here in Singapore. Can't wait to get my hands on the Custom 823 once I am home!

Holly....

Below is a link which shows a size comparison for all the Pilot Custom series pens, which all have gold nibs. I have the Custom 74 and it's a light pen. My wife is petite and I bought her a Platinum Century 3776 and she loves it... it's really light and writes wonderfully. Platinum nibs run narrow, so don't go less than a medium unless you like really fine lines. We both have the Platinum in broad nibs and they write slightly thinner than western mediums. I paid right at $90 for both of our Platinum's. That is hard to beat, and I have seen them cheaper on Japanese websites.

Good luck choosing. Pilot and Platinum make great gold nibs in very affordable pens.

http://kmpn.blogspot.ca/2011/06/pilot-custom.html

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Just ordered a Pilot Prera from the Bay site, The price is much "affordable" and the shipping costs as well.
First time order from that store, I have no idea how long it takes to the other side of the pacific.

Awesome recommendation!

The prices are even cheaper than Engeika!

in the search for the penultimate slim wooden black sumi urushi deskpen with a 0.1 mm UEF rhodium plated nib

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a 912 with a Music nib, $147 shipped. I have to say it is pretty good pricing, better than Amazon or anyone else.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I too have just had a 912 with music nib delivered great pricing and 4 days to deliver in New Zealand! Would love your feedback on the music nib..taking some time for me to get the hang of it and hard starts from time to time.