Does This Bother You Too?

LRR

.... It's horses for courses...

Agreed, the Ranga Bamboo I have isn't my daily use pen.

A quick question to people who have been using EDs for a while now, shouldn't the greater number of turns only prevent accidental opening of the pen? Is the pressure slowly released when unscrewing the cap? Isn'tit technically actuallysealed until the last turn?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LRR

• Amit37

• Jamerelbe

• flummoxed

You know, until I read this thread, I didn't pay any attention to how many turns it took to open any of my Ranga pens (IIRC, I have 6 of them). I just open and close them, and use them. No big deal for me. The threads are cut so nicely on these, and the materials are so wonderful that I just don't worry about it.

I love ebonite pens - especially the ones mere mortals like myself can afford. I have several brands of ebonite pens, and the Ranga's are as good as any in their price range or the one above. No, I won't compare them to somebody's Nakaya or Dani Trio Maki-e pens, but compared to any other Indian brand or even my Taccia, these are fantastic values. I don't even "do" eyedroppers -- all of mine are fitted with converter or aerometric filling systems.

Yes a pen is technically actually sealed in the last turn, also 4-5 threads are better for ebonites due to easily uncapping in the pocket and in other pens where multi start threads are there generally 2-3 threads are good.

If a pen which has less than that then it can open easily.

Harsh

CLICK Pens

(Unique Pen Industries)

Yes a pen is technically actually sealed in the last turn, also 4-5 threads are better for ebonites due to easily uncapping in the pocket and in other pens where multi start threads are there generally 2-3 threads are good.

If a pen which has less than that then it can open easily.

Harsh

CLICK Pens

(Unique Pen Industries)

Thanks for the answer!

It ain't the time, it's the effort. 5 or 6 turns does not work for quick on the go writing. Just don't see the need for more than two turns.

I always have two pens. One with a slip cap for quick note taking and another like the Rangas or the Gama for longer work.

Just checked - my Ranga Model 8 unscrewed in 3 turns...

A lifelong FP user...

Guider has an ED pen which is a close Parker 51 lookalike, and has a slip cap. Never had an incident with that one, but it lives mostly on my desk so I wouldn't know if the cap slips off by itself... The seal on that pen is pretty tight, too.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I don't have this problem. If i had, i'd consider filing some of the threads off. It's not actually a bad idea to buy a pen with too many threads so you can work it and decide yourself how many turns are good for you. Of course it's easy to ruin some of the look of the pen but aren't we used to be careful with nib grinding and search for instructions? Or maybe you want to send the pen to some professional to do that. Maybe he is able to take threads off from the cap so it's not going to be even visible.

I have two threaded pens in use. Both of them open in less than 1 round. One takes like 200 degrees turn and the other some 280°

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

It ain't the time, it's the effort. 5 or 6 turns does not work for quick on the go writing. Just don't see the need for more than two turns.

"Does this Bother You Too"

De Facto....Not One Iota....

For quick stationary..or on the go writing..slip caps work.

For the record I own a passel of said pens..and other Indian pens.

Some require 3..4..or more turns..not a problemo..whatsoever.

Of course I speak of my own experience and your mileage may/will vary.

Fred

• 2 years later...

i find extra turns to open a pen bothersome too..

i watch a lot of japanese anime in japanese , with english subtitles ..and once i hear some words that i think i understand i jot it down in a pad..i collect 4-5 words per episode and i find that very helpful...if i can quickly open the pen and jot down the words then i dont have to pause the episode and write and then again unpause ...so i tend to avoid my screw on pens generally.....so yeah a few seconds to open a pen does matter in some instances...

second case - when someone one gives me a a form or something else to fill up..if i can open up the pen in 1 sec then they dont offer me their own crappy use and throw ballpoints to me along with the form...but if i take say 2-3 seconds to open up my pen then by that time they are already offering me their pen and then it seems quite rude to me to not accept and use my own costly pen ..(actually it only looks costly to them lol, when actually it some crappy garish jinhao that i might me using that particular day as my everyday carry pen)

Solution: When in a situation where you can't pause a movie or spare an extra second uncapping, bring a different pen that can be more quickly uncapped. Why blame the pen when you're choosing the wrong tool for the job at hand? If you need to cut some wood, do you bring a hammer then get upset that the hammer doesn't cut the wood fast enough?

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Solution: When in a situation where you can't pause a movie or spare an extra second uncapping, bring a different pen that can be more quickly uncapped. Why blame the pen when you're choosing the wrong tool for the job at hand? If you need to cut some wood, do you bring a hammer then get upset that the hammer doesn't cut the wood fast enough?

Exactly. Why is this even a issue... it is a feature of indian made ebonite pens and has a lot more benefits like slow pressure release, water tight seal for a eye dropper, etc. Are people so spoiled by the fast food kind of attitude, that one can't wait a few more seconds? Well, each to his own, but if you really want quick release pens, perhaps indian ebonites are not the ones for you.

I use indian ebonite pens all the time and my solution between tasks, thought ect. has been to recap and only screw it one rotation that way it's ready to get back to work sooner. I have not experience any significant nib drying using this method either.

Pens don't need to be recapped right away, so if I know that I'm going to be taking notes or jotting things down, I just leave the pen uncapped. It is a hassle to be capping and uncapping in quick succession, and there's no need to do worry about the nib drying for most pens especially when I've only had problems with Japanese F or EF nibs left open for at least half a minute and most of the time if I'm jotting down notes it happens more often than that.

Environment might have a lot to do with it, though, I imagine that more humid climates are more forgiving of leaving pens uncapped than drier ones.