Montblanc Writers Edition : Ernest Hemingway

jamesgibby

Before i decided to proceed to purchase this pen, as i do with every other WE, i looked at the reviews. i was rather surprised, considering that this is a very popular pen among us MB fanatics, that (true to form) GoodGuy's was the only review.

a few words about GoodGuy, whilst i don't know him, few of us could fail to have been inspired by his adventures amassing a compete WE collection and sharing every step of the way on this forum (together with Tzutzik) i first noticed the WE pens because of his reviews and i bought the Mann precisely because of his review. i have seriously been considering embarking on that journey but i have yet to commit to the idea 100%.

so anyway to the matter at hand... the 1992 Writers Edition pen, the Ernest Hemingway

http://i.imgur.com/jqrWoOX.jpg

i bought this pen in Mint Condition from my good friend and FPN member Max. Max used to work for MB and is officially recommended by them for Vintage pen repair and servicing as they lack the skill to do it themselves! Max also spent many kind hours with me and explained how these pens are made vs the older generation MB's and generally taught me a lot about Fp's and FP collecting. apart from that he has restarted the Astoria pen company which was itself started by a former MB employee before being bought by MB in the 30's. (sorry got side tracked again [ this is sounding like an Oscar speech] :blush: )

Now, i must explain that shortly before i considered purchasing this pen my MB world really was focused on modern pens in the 14x range. i didn't really pay much attention to what preceded it. That changed when i considered this pen. i started reading a lot about the 139 and i must say that the Hemingway is very much a 139 in every sense of the word.

as an aside, i had always liked 149's but found them just a tad to large for me to write comfortably with. the Hemingway on the other had is pure bliss. i have found that the Hemingway, due to its flat top and flat blind cap is just that tad shorter in length which, when unposted, fits perfectly in my hand.

http://i.imgur.com/xGYJpCk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tIwYU5U.jpg

as you can see form the photos the pens are almost the same width although the taper in the 149 means that at time it feels larger than it actually is. Something i found which illustrated the similarities between the Hemingway, 139 and 149 was to gently swap the caps.

http://i.imgur.com/V3jGTlB.jpg

You can see the family connection!

http://i.imgur.com/N0uGtqe.jpg

You can see starting from the cap down, how this pen now looks like a 139 but as you move down the barrel to the cone piston knob it evolves into the 149. a sort of evolutionary chart of the last 60 years of MB design in one pen! It really shows the evolution from one pen to the other!

Something which i also found interesting, in the context i referred to above about the taper on the 149, is that the cap of the Hemingway fits and screws in wonderfully on the the 149 but not the reverse due to cap of the 149 being tapered and this the diameter of the 149 cap is smaller.

There are also a few details which hark back to earlier times. the Cap has "Mont Blanc" engraved on it with the mountain icon that is so frequently seen on the vintage pens of the 50' 60's. another nod to the 139 is that the Cap ring is engraved with Montblanc- Meisterstuck- Edition. the Piston knob has a flat ring on it but the lip has a small serrated edge something which can seen to a greater extend on the old safety fillers (apologies for these photos iPhones don't like close-ups!)

http://i.imgur.com/GYz2lIe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tFENlNo.jpg

so as you can see, i regard the design of this pen to be amongst my all time favourites. So much so that it has peaked my interest in purchasing a 139 myself (if you have any for sale let me know)!

in addition the pen has a matte finish to it, something which cannot be captured well by photos because its much more to do with feel than sight. All of those who have held this pen will know what i mean, the "black" precious resin lacks that deep almost artificial shine of modern pens, in some lights the black look almost a dull deep brown much like you would see on an older ebonite pen, even this to me shows that this pen was designed to make a connection between the old and the new, the bridge, the homage to the golden age of the fountain pen.

http://i.imgur.com/hR6WmN0.jpg

my final remark would be BUY ONE, sell your collection, sell your children, i don't care! just buy one, study it, admire it, use it and then pick up any other pen and you will feel the difference its pen that stands out in my collection (above).

Much has been said about this pen so i never intended this to be a recap of goodguy's review, i aimed to say what hasn't been said about this pen and tried to uncover why this is considered a grail pen by so many of us. i think that reason is that this pen is special; it just is... end of story.

[ i should have spared you all these ramblings and just said that last bit! :) ]

Edited by jamesgibby

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

146 Solitaire: Hematite; Gold & Black; Silver Fibre Guilloche.

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Want to Buy MB 129, 139 , 138 136  & 149 Silver Rings or Special Nibs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesgibby

• penmanila

• hypnostene

• redisburning

Thanks James for that informative review. Enjoyed it.

That's a gorgeous pen, and impressive collection of other Montblanc grail pens you have there.

The Ernest Hemingway is the first of the Writers Edition series right, and so that much more valuable?

Lovely review. I bought mine in early '93, and the only note I'll add is that the cap is a deep dark brown, which pairs beautifully with the matte orange I refer to as pumpkin spice.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Nice musings James. The Hemingway is a lovely pen. For the money, I found the Dumas to be a better value at current prices, but I certainly can't fault anyone who loves the Hemingway.

As you correctly observed, these pens tend to lead one to want the 139. I am hunting for one myself though they tend to be quite a bit out of my budget. I wish you the best of luck in your search and look forward to seeing your 139. :)

I'd also like to point out, though you probably know, the 1950s 149s are smaller than the modern ones, so you may find them more comfortable.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Nice musings James. The Hemingway is a lovely pen. For the money, I found the Dumas to be a better value at current prices, but I certainly can't fault anyone who loves the Hemingway.

As you correctly observed, these pens tend to lead one to want the 139. I am hunting for one myself though they tend to be quite a bit out of my budget. I wish you the best of luck in your search and look forward to seeing your 139. :)

I'd also like to point out, though you probably know, the 1950s 149s are smaller than the modern ones, so you may find them more comfortable.

That is also on my hit list but i got side tracked and in the past week i Bought the Hemingway and now the Proust and 149 75th Ltd Ed.

PoA: Copernicus; JP Morgan  WE: Hemingway; Proust; Dickens; Mann; Twain; Swift  149's: 1986 2 tone; 75th 1924 LE; 90th Anniversary; Platinum; Kingsman Edition; Calligraphy 

Misc: 234 1/2L; Boheme Medium size non-retractable BB nib; Starwalker FP & RB; Montblanc Newson (Matt)

Thanks for the great review. Thoroughly enjoyed it. While I am not a MB fan, I do have a 60s #34 and love it. The 139 however is a pen that has instant appeal for me. I would happily pay the boutique 149 price for a reissue (this would be about twice the cost of anything else in my collection) and then some.

MB please make one and take my money ....

How does it write?

it writes just like it looks :P

coral red and dark brown? ;)

Great review for a great pen; thank's for sharing.

The first three WE pens remain very special to me, as their design is very close to their vintage predecessor.

Enjoy in good health

Michael

Thanks James for that informative review. Enjoyed it.

That's a gorgeous pen, and impressive collection of other Montblanc grail pens you have there.

The Ernest Hemingway is the first of the Writers Edition series right, and so that much more valuable?

Its more valuable not only for that reason but because its such a classic design and cheaper than a real 139. you will see how the more sought after WE's Hemingway Christie and Proust have very strong links to vintage MB's. Also i think that back in 92 not many people could have imaged its success or the success of the WE line.

coral red and dark brown? ;)

Great review for a great pen; thank's for sharing.

The first three WE pens remain very special to me, as their design is very close to their vintage predecessor.

Enjoy in good health

Michael

Thanks my friend ;)

i will also review the Proust which is heading my way and the 149 LE 1924 also

i think i have a christie in my sights for the next few weeks

You are gathering some of the true modern classics lately :thumbup:

I'm curious how you like the Proust; lovely pen but feels tiny (because of the curved section) compared to the Hemingway.

Cheers

Michael

Hemingway is a great great uncle of mine (may be missing a great in there...) and my dad was only able to secure a ballpoint. This is definitely a coveted model in my family! Congrats on the snag! Covet it!

That is beautiful collection you have there, and nice way to keep them safe, with lock and key. If i had the money i would definitely spend it MB special editions.

That is beautiful collection you have there, and nice way to keep them safe, with lock and key. If i had the money i would definitely spend it MB special editions.

Thanks, the Box was a bit pricey i must say, but i thought that if you hae a collection in the ££££'s then spening some £300 for the box isnt that much. The box has a "piano " finish and so i keep it in the family room and makes my colelction part of my everyday life rather than storing it away in some drawer or desk.

the lock is a bit of a gimick and not very strudy and could in fact be opened with a paper clip but its part of the "romance" of montblanc along with the "precious" resin and not so limited, limited Editions :)

Ernest Hemingway FP is still elusive from my WE collection. Thanks for sharing the pics. It is a beauty. Glad you were able to purchase it from a reputable seller.