A Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze (Maxi) Review

sannidh

Very well written and answers a lot of questions I had in the past - and needed to order one to get them answered...

Greetings,

Michael

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• jameswatts

• Betweenthelines

Very well written and answers a lot of questions I had in the past - and needed to order one to get them answered...

Very happy, that this review helps. I did start with some questions I had before buying the pen - very common ones like size compare, nib size, filler type, cap-lock..tried to capture those first.

Thank you

Thank you.

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my Visconti Homo Sapiens' nib replaced with a F (earlier was an EF, a bit scratchy). Felt like taking it for a dip in the ink bottle and writing a page or two, on a lazy Saturday noon! Over :happycloud9: on the F-nib

http://s25.postimg.org/k1p5xmasv/vhs_F.jpg

Nice review, you were able to get the exchange done locally or did you have to send it out?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review, you were able to get the exchange done locally or did you have to send it out?

Thank you ! I sent it out to Germany. Only the nib section (with papers) for replacement.

I have one with a medium nib. It was my "grail" pen. The medium nib lays down quite a wet line. I have considered swapping it for a F. Thanks for the review and the lovely pictures.

I have one with a medium nib. It was my "grail" pen. The medium nib lays down quite a wet line. I have considered swapping it for a F. Thanks for the review and the lovely pictures.

Thank you kulnet...Btw, I never found the fine nib very wide. both EF and F lay a wet line. IME, F is not very wide and I like it somehow.

Does the medium run very wide?

What do you recommend using on the finish of the Visconti Homo-Sapiens finish. I have read regular car wax to dish soap. What has Visconti recommended? Is it as big an issue as I perceive?

Great review, very thorough . I will have to try the Visconti Blue? Thanks.

Earl Pitts

What do you recommend using on the finish of the Visconti Homo-Sapiens finish. I have read regular car wax to dish soap. What has Visconti recommended? Is it as big an issue as I perceive?

Great review, very thorough . I will have to try the Visconti Blue? Thanks.

Earl Pitts

Hi Earl,

Thank you !

For cleaning :

Lava region: I use a damp cotton cloth (or handkerchief) for cleaning after filling up with ink. If there is something unusual, a little foam of from hand-wash soap does the job. (for bronze the yellow visconti cloth seems good enough)

Then (I may sound a bit crazy here ;) ), I leave it on the table with some sunlight falling, for 10-15 minutes.

Else the dampness sometimes forms white spots over the lava surface. (I never thought cleaning is a big issue till I found the white spots all over the lava surface, India is pretty humid)

Hope you like the intensity of visconti blue..

Best,

Sonik

• 3 months later...

VHS being one of my favourite pens, I did update the Visconti HS Maxi review with some new pictures & content on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I hope you enjoy the review :)

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze (Maxi) Review

Best,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

Thank you for the excellent review. I would like to own this pen one day but as far as I can tell there is no ink window and this puts me off a little.

Thank you for the excellent review. I would like to own this pen one day but as far as I can tell there is no ink window and this puts me off a little.

Yes, you are right, the Homo Sapiens does not have an ink window. This can be offputting, I just cleaned mine because it started skipping and found out that there was still about 0.4g of ink left.

So this time I've measured the exact empty and full weight of the pen and will only clean it once I'm down to >0.1g of its empty size. Let's see if it allows to be emptied all that way.

btw, I was able to get 1.1g of ink in it. Quite happy with it.

Thank you Venator. I do feel an ink-window is missed and the crystal swirl LE is too much of an ask for transparency :P

Yes, you are right, the Homo Sapiens does not have an ink window. This can be offputting, I just cleaned mine because it started skipping and found out that there was still about 0.4g of ink left.

So this time I've measured the exact empty and full weight of the pen and will only clean it once I'm down to >0.1g of its empty size. Let's see if it allows to be emptied all that way.

btw, I was able to get 1.1g of ink in it. Quite happy with it.

Thanks hessi for confirming on the ink capacity. May I know which ink blocked your HS?

Edited by soniknitr

Thanks hessi for confirming on the ink capacity. May I know which ink blocked your HS?

Diamine Majestic Blue. But I wouldn't say it blocked it, it just started skipping so I was under the assumption that it was empty. Wasn't too fond of the colour, anyway, so I took the hint and cleaned it to change to another Blue (PR Electric DC Blue). I was just surprised that so much was left in the pen. Hence the weighting. I will have to wait for DC Blue to start skipping to see how useful the pen remains with small amounts of ink in it.

Edited by hessi