• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• RMN

• amberleadavis

• Last Knight

I am an ordinary member and only see Starry Night and Tulipe Noir. Are there other colors available if I upgrade to a supporter?

GMB is sold out actually, although we may still have two more bottles, I understand. They will be added to the store once they are located.

We are ordering more, but before we receive those, it may be a few weeks from now.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

My two bottles of Starry Night have arrived as well, packed well enough to make it through the apocalypse. :-) I can't wait to try it out!

Thank you Amberlea!! And thank you for the lovely note as well. :-D

Edited by Spinnnr

My Galileo Manuscript Brown arrived Saturday, more quickly than I really expected. Thank you, Amberlea, for the prompt shipping.

I can't wait to try it out on several papers, especially in my journal, but haven't decided which pen to load.

My Galileo Manuscript Brown arrived Saturday, more quickly than I really expected. Thank you, Amberlea, for the prompt shipping.

I can't wait to try it out on several papers, especially in my journal, but haven't decided which pen to load.

Just one thing: I spoke with Nathan today, about GMB, amongst others (and ordered another batch :)). What you do need to do prior to using it is to shake it very well, until the "sediment" (not really a sediment) at the bottom of the bottle has disappeared completely and dissolved back into the ink again.

The type of dyes used, do distil out with temperature changes, or freezing for that matter. However, the ink completely reconstitutes when shaking thoroughly.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Unfortunately wimg, that does not happen. A red ink is not going to turn into a brown ink with any amount of shaking. The bottles are sealed, so there is no place for the components to "distill", they'd just drip back into the bottle. And the temperatures we're talking about are normal ambient temperatures, including room temperature, and below. And any ink that is changing color at room temperature in my mind is a flaw, not a feature.

I'm very happy with the FPN VGSN and the Tulip. I hope FPN gets a brown Galileo Manuscript Brown ink in the next batch.

I think distillation is indeed not the correct process, rather crystallisation or sedimentation, not through heat but cold. It is more difficult to dissolve something in a cold fluid (think adding sugar to warm or cold fluids) And in that case vigorous shaking could indeed help reconstituting the ink.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Unfortunately wimg, that does not happen. A red ink is not going to turn into a brown ink with any amount of shaking. The bottles are sealed, so there is no place for the components to "distill", they'd just drip back into the bottle. And the temperatures we're talking about are normal ambient temperatures, including room temperature, and below. And any ink that is changing color at room temperature in my mind is a flaw, not a feature.

I'm very happy with the FPN VGSN and the Tulip. I hope FPN gets a brown Galileo Manuscript Brown ink in the next batch.

I think distillation is indeed not the correct process, rather crystallisation or sedimentation, not through heat but cold. It is more difficult to dissolve something in a cold fluid (think adding sugar to warm or cold fluids) And in that case vigorous shaking could indeed help reconstituting the ink.

D.ick

I am only referring to what Nathan told me personally. It is indeed not proper distillation, but it is a physical process related to at least this particular ink. The components of this ink, due to its particular characteristics, do "separate" partially with temperature changes. The ink had been stored in an outdoor garage without heating for a rather long time, and got very hot in summer, and very cold in winter.

Shaking the bottle until the "sediment" at the bottom disappears, i.e., until the ink reconstitutes completely, should solve the problem, according to Nathan. I use quote marks because it is not a real sediment; a real sediment does not dissolve, this does. Essentially you have to shake until the glass itself is clear again, and the ink should behave as before.

Nathan told me he deliberately did almost completely freeze this ink when testing, so it would "separate", and produce this "sediment", and shaking would then give it back its expected behaviour (and colour). Furthermore, as he had some older test bottles, and he tried exactly this again to satisfy my curiosity: he did shake an old bottle with the "sediment", it worked flawlessly thereafter. In addition, I noticed that after a few years, my own bottles also started to show this "sediment", although I never had a problem with colour yet. However, upon vigorously shaking, this "sediment" completely disappeared, and the ink looks completely normal, and lays down a colour as before.

Do note that I am only the messenger.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I understand wimg, I'm not mad at you or FPN or even Mr. Tardiff. I have to go off to work today and will be away all day. I will happily shake the bottle to near death tomorrow and see if that changes things. I know with this bottle, as the label does not wraparound like other Noodler's labels, tilting the bottle shows the ink to be quite red and no crystals or "sediment" is to be seen. Perhaps these crystals are too small to be seen by the eye.

I may try to visit the hardware store where they have a mechanical shaker for house paint. The bottle may be too small to fit in their machine, but if it does maybe they'll help me shaking it with that machine.

I understand wimg, I'm not mad at you or FPN or even Mr. Tardiff. I have to go off to work today and will be away all day. I will happily shake the bottle to near death tomorrow and see if that changes things. I know with this bottle, as the label does not wraparound like other Noodler's labels, tilting the bottle shows the ink to be quite red and no crystals or "sediment" is to be seen. Perhaps these crystals are too small to be seen by the eye.

I may try to visit the hardware store where they have a mechanical shaker for house paint. The bottle may be too small to fit in their machine, but if it does maybe they'll help me shaking it with that machine.

Actually, your sample of GMB in the Inky Thougths topic appears to look quite normal ....

Maybe it requires another bit of shaking, I can't asses that from here, of course :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone. looking forward to the Starry Night.

with my bottle of Galileo Manuscript Brown you can clearly see the 'sediment' for lack of a better term in the bottom of the bottle if it has been sitting for a long time. It takes a couple of minutes of vigorous shaking to get it mixed back in.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

I got my two bottles of Starry Night, and I've got to say I love it. Might be the perfect shade of blue-black I've been looking for. :)

I have a bottle of the Galileo Manuscript Brown. I noticed no sediment and indeed, found none when i went back to take another look. I would also say that the ink has performed very well in my limited use so far. My concern is that if there is a component that can come out of solution in certain conditions, does this ink have the potential to behave as a particulate based ink (pigmented). Should one's pen maintenance be more intensive with the Gallileo ink or has this not been seen to be an issue?

I have a bottle of the Galileo Manuscript Brown. I noticed no sediment and indeed, found none when i went back to take another look. I would also say that the ink has performed very well in my limited use so far. My concern is that if there is a component that can come out of solution in certain conditions, does this ink have the potential to behave as a particulate based ink (pigmented). Should one's pen maintenance be more intensive with the Gallileo ink or has this not been seen to be an issue?

I wouldn't think so. In one particular pen, not a cheap one either, which I have been using only for signatures, and which has been filled with GMB right from the word go, I have to admit that I let it dry out too often, as I don't get to use it very often, and in addition it doesn't have a cap which seals very well either - so far no ill effects.

This deposit is completely water soluble, so should not be a problem at all.

A good reminder to start using that pen more often, however - I really love it :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

My two bottles of Starry Night have arrived as well, packed well enough to make it through the apocalypse. :-) I can't wait to try it out!

Thank you Amberlea!! And thank you for the lovely note as well. :-D

Glad you received them!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Have fun!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! How HAVE I missed this for so long?

I contributed to the thread that led to the development of FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown, but didn't have the cash to get in on the group buy, which I regretted for years.

And now I'm waiting for FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown to come back in stock. I've seen tulipes noir (flowers, not ink), and I think such a color would be wonderful to have in some of my pens. And of course I have to have the VGSNB too. How often should I check for the GMB to come back in stock?

We'll put a post up here when it is back in stock, so all you need to check is the News headlines here :).

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman