The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Vanishing Point <M> Vs Custom 823 <M>

pilot vanishing point vp custom 823 823

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Aetheric Continua

Aetheric Continua

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 16:59

I've done some searching but couldn't quite find what I'm looking for.

I recently purchased a VP with a Fine nib and it's just finer than I would like, so I'm planning on getting a Medium nib unit later in the month.

Later in the year I'm hoping to get my hands on a Custom 823. Before I got my VP I was thinking about getting the 823 in a Fine but now I'm likely to go with the medium. Only thing is, from what I've read on the forums, Pilot's VP Medium writes rather similarly to a Western Medium and that there's no real happy medium.

Is this the case with the 823? How does a VP Medium compare to a 823 Medium?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc.  When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

Sponsored Content

#2 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 18:27

My experience is that VP sizes are similar to "european" ones wereas other Pilot nibs are "japanese".
I have an CH 92 B and an VP M and both write similar.

#3 LuisAAbrilRomero

LuisAAbrilRomero

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 20:13

I own one Pilot M 90 in F, one PC 823 in M and F each, and several Vanishing Point nib units in M and F each. In my experience, the VP nibs are indeed a tad wider than their counterparts on the PC 823, while the P M90 F is pretty similar to my VP nib units in Fine.

Hope that helps.

#4 Aetheric Continua

Aetheric Continua

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2015 - 14:02

So the Custom 823's nibs more closely follows the "one-size-down" rule of thumb and the VPs are exceptions?

Medium 823 for me it is then :) Thanks all~

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc.  When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

#5 benay148

benay148

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2015 - 14:35

My vanishing point medium is a western medium for sure. It is the same size as my safari medium. It does seem to be the exception to the Japanese one size down rule.

JkyEiJW.png

#6 Jeff_H

Jeff_H

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:43

All I know is that I just acquired the 823 with a B nib, and it is fantastic. I have a VP with a M nib, and I actually feel it might be a tad wider than my 823. My VP nib is so juicy though it's not quite a fair comparison. The 823 with a B nib is so smooth and so luscious it's hard to believe at times. It does not put down a wide line, in my opinion. I have a Waterman with an 18k M nib that writes a wider line. The 823 lays a very crisp line. I can't say enough good things about it.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.  

#7 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:51

The Medium in the Pilot Vanishing Points are wider than other Mediums in the Pilot line.

#8 maverink

maverink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:07

yes piolot VP nibs are designed to open the door hence have to be stronger hence the width increase compared to the other pilot pens

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F
And all indian pens

#9 Aetheric Continua

Aetheric Continua

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2015 - 13:56

The Medium in the Pilot Vanishing Points are wider than other Mediums in the Pilot line.

Thanks for the nice and concise reply :)

And thanks to everyone who replied (: I will more than likely get the 823 in a medium. I need more experience with Pilot/Japanese pens anyway ;)

Now I have to decide if I should save for the 823 or for a pen show...

Edited by Aetheric Continua, 12 January 2015 - 13:57.

#10 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:20

Everyone has there own experiences with these pens and I have plenty of them in front of me "write" now......the VP fine has always been a "tad" finer in downstroke line width compared to the #5 thru #15 nibs.

The VP Mediums in my arsenal (5 of them using Aurora and Iroshizuku inks) have always been undifferentiated between any other Pilot/Namiki Medium nib.......similarities for the most part can only be said for the Medium VP nibs not all of them.....this is relation to ink flow and down/cross stroke line width.

Edited by PinarelloOnly, 14 January 2015 - 03:23.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, vanishing point, vp, custom 823, 823

Sponsored Content

|