The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Building My First Pen

fountain pen make diy pvc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tjt7a

tjt7a

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 22:26

Dear Builder community,

I'm a fountain pen collector, and avid fountain pen user. I use all of my pens, even the pricey ones. I'm also a DIYer and want to construct my first fountain pen. I have some ideas and drawings for more complicated pens, but I wanted to start out with something very simple: A PVC fountain pen.

I want to take some small-gauge 1/4" PVC for the body and a larger gauge for the cap; maybe 3/8" or 1/2". I need to figure out how to get them to screw together. My first design will be an eye dropper, where I use a screwed fitting to seal the other end of the PVC pipe body and cap. I'll remove some PVC from the barrel to form the grip section, and screw in a nib/feed/nib collar into the PVC.

Has anyone tried this before? Am I missing something, or is this a bad idea?

Tom

Sponsored Content

#2 Inspector

Inspector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:34

I've used PVC to make a pen before but not from pre-made tube like think you are wanting to do. I used PVC from a new sewer line that was being put in locally. The pipe was 30" plus across and over an inch thick. The green scrap pieces about 3' long were mine for the asking. The stuff comes in other colours depending on the use and locality using it. White, light and dark blue, green and even pink can be found sometimes. On the lathe it cuts with long shavings that don't break so you need to interrupt the cut often or stop and remove them as they wrap around the piece. Threading is easy. If you want some and can't scrounge up any where you live I can send some your way. If going for the sewer pipe I strongly recommend "virgin pipe".  ;) 

Pete

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen, make, diy, pvc

Sponsored Content

|