Twsbi Eco Update

Ambrose Bierce

Call Kevin, I'm sure you can get BRB.

Last time we talked about concentrated inks, he'd shipped all his samples to someone in Nevada :bawl: - though admittedly, that was a while ago now! Luckily, I have a stash of Susemai Blue Diamond - tell me what you think:

post-108160-0-63046600-1438835028_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Ambrose Bierce

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Jamerelbe

Call Kevin, I'm sure you can get BRB.

I sure as heck am not sharing mine! :lol:

Looks good to me. I only tried the Cashmere line of blue, but BD was highly regarded.

I know we're getting off topic here, but... oh, well! I wasn't a fan of the purple tinge to the Cashmere line - but really liked the deep dark turquoise colour of Blue Diamond. The black and blue 'unconcentrated' inks available on the website now are pretty good, I think - I've had the blue in a Jinhao 599 for over a month, and it's been very well behaved.

Back on topic: I can understand why some people might find the Eco 'industrial-looking' rather than elegant - it's very comfortable in the hand. The Broad nib isn't overly broad, but it's smooth and juicy, and wrote straight 'out of the box.'. No complaints here!

My extra fine was a little dry with my first ink, vintage Sjeaffer Burgundy, but with my second ink, PR Sherwood Green, it's just right.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

is it a wet writer? or is it a dry pen like the twsbi 580?

I just got mine yesterday. F nib and writes quite wet. It is a western style F writes like a Japanese M. I won't call it a dry nib.

The ink is JB Bleu Myosotis.

Sadly I don't have any of the Blackstone concentrated inks - and I confess (to my shame) I hadn't seen the names before today either. Sydney Harbour, Barrier Reef, Daintree, Uluru and Black Stump - just brilliant! Hope they're available soon... I do have samples of the black and blue inks currently available from the JustWrite website - but was thinking of trying a more vivid colour first up...

Kevin sent me a set of inks for the SF Pen Show ink sampling setup.

From his message, it seemed that he was finishing up pre-production work/testing on some of the inks, and the inks were not yet in production, at the time of his message to me a few weeks ago.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...

OK, we're a little behind the curve it seems, but maybe just because FPN have been positively focused on the Eco since long before it landed - note I didn't say obsessed ; ) Nevertheless, United Inkdom has made the Eco the subject of its third meta-review here - please enjoy! 'Hopefully useful for anyone who hasn't yet pulled the trigger: 10% discount code up there for the next week :D

• 4 weeks later...

How does the eco feel in the hand? I love my Vac700, but I do find it a little on the chunky side for my preference.

Leaning towards the white, but the clear demonstrator is pretty cool!

How does the eco feel in the hand? I love my Vac700, but I do find it a little on the chunky side for my preference.

I have the VAC 700, 580 (non AL), and the ECO. The ECO is the lightest of them all, needless to say. It feels decent, not too light at all. I use it unposted and it feels very balanced. If you think the VAC700 is a little big and heavy then I'd say the ECO is good for you. I also got the white one and think it looks very good. Ink capacity is generous. My only worry is I would not use a very strong ink that may stain this pen.

I have the VAC 700, 580 (non AL), and the ECO. The ECO is the lightest of them all, needless to say. It feels decent, not too light at all. I use it unposted and it feels very balanced. If you think the VAC700 is a little big and heavy then I'd say the ECO is good for you. I also got the white one and think it looks very good. Ink capacity is generous. My only worry is I would not use a very strong ink that may stain this pen.

Thanks, that's helpful. I like the Vac demonstrator, but I do find it a tad annoying when I get condensation or ink droplets in the the cap (whenever I carry it somewhere). The white eco would avoid this I guess.

Evy

Thanks, that's helpful. I like the Vac demonstrator, but I do find it a tad annoying when I get condensation or ink droplets in the the cap (whenever I carry it somewhere). The white eco would avoid this I guess.

Evy

That's actually one of my favorite features of my Eco; the solid cap (mine's black) keeps me from obsessing over any condensation or tiny ink specks that I usually see in my clear caps. Though so far my fine nib has not been getting any specks, so I'm assuming the cap may be clean on the inside regardless, which is amazing if true because is do a lot of walking around with it in my pocket. The opaque cap also entices my to uncap it and write so I can see the nib and feed in action. I guess I never realized before that the clear caps of my demonstrators was actually something I didn't like.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

That's actually one of my favorite features of my Eco; the solid cap (mine's black) keeps me from obsessing over any condensation or tiny ink specks that I usually see in my clear caps. Though so far my fine nib has not been getting any specks, so I'm assuming the cap may be clean on the inside regardless, which is amazing if true because is do a lot of walking around with it in my pocket. The opaque cap also entices my to uncap it and write so I can see the nib and feed in action. I guess I never realized before that the clear caps of my demonstrators was actually something I didn't like.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who obsesses over it! :wacko:

Evy

I would like if TWSBI made a pen about 2mm smaller in diameter. But then I like 'slimline' pens, and the diameter of the Eco is right under my cut-off limit.

I really notice this when I pick up a slim pen right after using the Eco.

If I don't pick up a slimline after using the Eco, it feels OK.

I do have to use the Eco unposted, as the posted cap moves the center of balance too far to the back of the pen, for me.

I have not seen any notice of an ALL CLEAR Eco. That one, I would buy.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

That one, I would buy.

So would I.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I've not measured them, but the TWSBI Mini seems slightly thinner than the Eco. I've become quite a fan of the mini.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Well I broke down for one from Pendleton Brown. Not fair to compare his nibs to a stock one. But I do think the pen may be one of the best TWSBI has produced to date and definitely in the front running for the best beginner pen. I'll have to get the black one eventually. I hope they produce some additional colors.

I also got one from him and it is probably my most used pen right now. Inked with DA Sky Blue . Seriously love it. So I was convinced to send him another pen and love that one as well.

Life isn't always what you make it. Sometimes it just falls in your lap and you have to deal with it.