The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ranga Thin Bamboo In Bakul

ranga bamboo bakul india handmade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flummoxed

flummoxed

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 17:09

I finally succumbed and bought one for myself. A nice email exchange with Mr. Kandan (on behalf of his father), made it easy for me to order the Thin Bamboo pen in Bakul finish from Ranga Pens. Given that I am only beginning to use fountain pens again, he was really helpful in helping me understand the options available and the best option for me. Based on suggestions from members here and his own email I decided to have the standard Wality medium steel nib in the pen. So far, the nib has been smooth and works without any skipping. The pen itself is an eyedropper style pen with a large ink capacity. It is a light pen and I have been using the pen unposted. There seems to be silicon grease or some form of stopping material near the ink-tank and the section of the pen to help avoid ink spills. The nib itself seemed to have been misaligned a little from the feed, some gentle pressure helped sort it out.

Call me a sucker, but I love the quaint packaging that it comes in. It has been a long time since I got any mail with a cloth package and wax seals. Here are a few pictures of the pen,

100x180xSeals.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ioMH6-R8q  180x150xboxed.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gshuBGHIh  200x120xunboxed.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1j5B7bw 

200x80xpenhorizontal.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pd  100x180xpencontop.jpg.pagespeed.ic.63gb7  200x125xlengthcomparison.jpg.pagespeed.i 

150x125xuncapped.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2JaZ2T  150x100xfeeder.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wCt4HC4J  200x110xrealigned.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0qBoR

Cross-posted on my blog.

PS: This is not a review!

Sponsored Content

#2 mpkandan

mpkandan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 18:02

Dear Mr. flummoxed Sir,

Thanks for your words. Hope you are enjoying this Ranga Bamboo Ebonite pen.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

#3 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:57

I finally succumbed and bought one for myself. A nice email exchange with Mr. Kandan (on behalf of his father), made it easy for me to order the Thin Bamboo pen in Bakul finish from Ranga Pens. Given that I am only beginning to use fountain pens again, he was really helpful in helping me understand the options available and the best option for me. Based on suggestions from members here and his own email I decided to have the standard Wality medium steel nib in the pen. So far, the nib has been smooth and works without any skipping. The pen itself is an eyedropper style pen with a large ink capacity. It is a light pen and I have been using the pen unposted. There seems to be silicon grease or some form of stopping material near the ink-tank and the section of the pen to help avoid ink spills. The nib itself seemed to have been misaligned a little from the feed, some gentle pressure helped sort it out.

Call me a sucker, but I love the quaint packaging that it comes in. It has been a long time since I got any mail with a cloth package and wax seals. Here are a few pictures of the pen,

100x180xSeals.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ioMH6-R8q  180x150xboxed.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gshuBGHIh  200x120xunboxed.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1j5B7bw 

200x80xpenhorizontal.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pd  100x180xpencontop.jpg.pagespeed.ic.63gb7  200x125xlengthcomparison.jpg.pagespeed.i 

150x125xuncapped.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2JaZ2T  150x100xfeeder.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wCt4HC4J  200x110xrealigned.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0qBoR

Cross-posted on my blog.

PS: This is not a review!

how much did it cost you

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#4 flummoxed

flummoxed

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:04

Dear Mr. flummoxed Sir,

Thanks for your words. Hope you are enjoying this Ranga Bamboo Ebonite pen.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thank you, I'm enjoying the pen.

how much did it cost you

Hi, I think it is best if you PM Mr. Kandan, given that he has just replied to this thread and is on this forum!

#5 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:09

That does look lovely. The finish reminds me of that on my Lamy 2000!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#6 flummoxed

flummoxed

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:03

Hadn't realised that until you pointed it out!

#7 mrmohitmishra

mrmohitmishra

The curious enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 13:03

The pen looks cool !!!

I would definitely have it some day.

But my experience with Wallity monotone nibs has not been very pleasant. I feel sad because many people here have showered praises on the nib. 

Congrats for wonderful acquisition.

Great photos. Superb. Precise and nice review. 

Thanks!  :)  :)

#8 flummoxed

flummoxed

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2015 - 16:45

The pen looks cool !!!

I would definitely have it some day.

But my experience with Wallity monotone nibs has not been very pleasant. I feel sad because many people here have showered praises on the nib. 

Congrats for wonderful acquisition.

Great photos. Superb. Precise and nice review. 

Thanks!  :)  :)

I've been using this pen almost on a daily basis, and it has been a good writer. Apart from some drying issues by the end of a full scape page, which I think is more of a feed issue than a nib one (please correct me if I'm wrong), it is pretty smooth.

However, I must add that my experience with nibs is limited to the following,

- Shaeffer M: On a Shaeffer Fashion

- Wality M: On the Ranga Bamboo

- Hero: On the Hero 443

- Generic Iridium Point: On the Khyati Sketching pen

I would say the Wality M (when in the mood) is comparable to the Shaeffer M based on my writing so far.

Edit: Corrected Hero model and typos

Edited by flummoxed, 20 January 2015 - 16:46.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, bamboo, bakul, india, handmade

Sponsored Content

|