Pelikan M205

jclewis33

I use an M250 which is nearly identical (just older and came with a 14K nib instead of a steel). It's smaller than most of my other pens but I find it to be one of my more comfortable pens and smoother writers. It also posts very well and the weight is comfortable (tad on the lighter side, I imagine some of the negative reviews didn't like the size or weight).

It's also one of my more attractive black pens.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/uncapped.jpg

I'm currently using a 1.0 Steel stub on it (which I'm guessing originally came off a Pelikan MC120). which is pretty easy to swap out since the nib units just unscrew.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jclewis33

• FayeV

• risingsun

• sargetalon

I use an M250 which is nearly identical (just older and came with a 14K nib instead of a steel). It's smaller than most of my other pens but I find it to be one of my more comfortable pens and smoother writers. It also posts very well and the weight is comfortable (tad on the lighter side, I imagine some of the negative reviews didn't like the size or weight).It's also one of my more attractive black pens.http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/uncapped.jpgI'm currently using a 1.0 Steel stub on it (which I'm guessing originally came off a Pelikan MC120). which is pretty easy to swap out since the nib units just unscrew.

That is a nice pen.

Ok, so you have convinced me. What would you consider to be a good price? Pen chalet has one for $95.

New that is pretty good.

I have two M205's - a black with fine nib and a Toledo Red with medium. They get a lot of use. I got mine previously owned. One had been inked once, but never used. The other (the black) was in great shape, but may have been used more. I obviously paid less than what Pen Chalet has/had them for.

The Toledo Red is filled with BlackStone Green Cashmere

The blac is filled with Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

my M150 (m) has Diamine Steel Blue

my 120 Merz & Krell (ef) Akkerman Shocking Blue

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'm a fan of the m205 (black) but it is a bit lighter than some other FPs. I don't mind but maybe try it out if there's a local pen store? I like steel nibs too.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

I have two M205's with EF nibs and both were champs out of the box. I've found that Pelikan's steel nibs are less finicky than their gold ones.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Do not buy P205 (the latest cartridge model of the model line)!

See my experience with P205 in the reply to the latest review of P205 in the section for reviews.

I can recommend only M205 or M215.

Yes, the M205 is a great pen. HOWEVER. Please be aware of its small size and girth. It is close in size and girth to a Pilot Prera or a Kaweco Sport. It is a small pen.

Everyone says this. Capped, it is small. Uncapped, unposted, same size as my Lamy 2000. Not so small after all!

I purchased the M205 in taupe with a broad nib from pen chalet. The price was great. I did find it to be smooth, but a hard starter. There was a nice baby bottom I had to square off myself. Now it writes beautifully. It is a smaller pen, but very comfortable posted. Perfect for a shirt pocket or placket.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my M205 in the mail. I love it. Great size! Nib is awesome. Tuned by Richard Binder. It's an EF with a 7 out of 10 flow. I am excited to put it through it's paces this coming week.

That's great, glad you got it. You will enjoy it for sure. I got mine binderized, though it did finally ended up with an even finer-than-Pelikan-EF than it started out with thanks to P. Brown. It was the sort of situation, I love this pen, now I really love this pen.

• 2 weeks later...

That's great, glad you got it. You will enjoy it for sure. I got mine binderized, though it did finally ended up with an even finer-than-Pelikan-EF than it started out with thanks to P. Brown. It was the sort of situation, I love this pen, now I really love this pen.

My EF is a little broad but I like it.

My EF is a little broad but I like it.

If you like it enough to keep it as a daily usage, you can always send it off to Dan ( http://fpgeeks.com/nib-services/ ) or one of the other nibmeister (I'm sure others will have suggestions) to have it re-ground to XXF (if going off western sizing). Dan @ FPGeeks does it for 45$. Masuyama I know can also do a needlepoint grind (which I find to be slightly smaller than a western EF but not quite near a Japanese EF).

Skip it if you can. It's great if you line it up with a dry ink, because it runs too wet. It's still a fine investment. I can easily sell anyone on a blue demo anytime. But, the nib is, well, it's ok.

If you like it enough to keep it as a daily usage, you can always send it off to Dan ( http://fpgeeks.com/nib-services/ ) or one of the other nibmeister (I'm sure others will have suggestions) to have it re-ground to XXF (if going off western sizing). Dan @ FPGeeks does it for 45$. Masuyama I know can also do a needlepoint grind (which I find to be slightly smaller than a western EF but not quite near a Japanese EF).

I might think about that, or just wait until the next pen show. It is a little broader than I normally use, but I am ok with the line size for now. Ideally, it could be a little finer, but it is nice and smooth so I will write with it like it is for now.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Skip it if you can. It's great if you line it up with a dry ink, because it runs too wet. It's still a fine investment. I can easily sell anyone on a blue demo anytime. But, the nib is, well, it's ok.

What inks would you use with their Italic nib?

I never noticed how wet they were until I got my white M205 with Italic nib.

(My black M200 with Italic nib doesn't seem to write as wet)

It was too wet filled with Waterman South Seas Blue.

I just cleaned it and filled it with J. Herbin Vert Olive and it's still on the very wet side.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein