The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Trying To Find Wick-Less Traditional Sealing Wax In The Uk - Any Ideas?!

sealing wax stamp brittle seal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheTechFish

TheTechFish

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 00:13

Hi,

A couple of years ago my Dad found some lovely old sealing wax which he gave me. It doesn't have a wick, and is the traditional brittle kind. 

I am sadly starting to get to the end of my stock of this lovely wax and need to buy some more, however I am really struggling to find anything similar (for a decent price).

The closest thing I can find is something called "Bank of England" sealing wax, however J.Herbin "Cire Banque" looks like it might be pretty similar. 

The difficulty I'm having is that I can only find this was in bulk boxes that are £60-£80 each, really I'm only after a couple of sticks and looking to spend £20ish.

Does anyone know where I can get this type of wax for a decent price in the UK? (I'm after Red/Crimson, Blue and Gold).

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Lamy 2000 [M] | Lamy Joy [1.5] | Lamy Safari [F]

Sponsored Content

#2 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 00:48

The Bank of England wax is Waterstons (no 'e'), and you can see some at the bottom of Green and Stone's calligraphy page. Abraxas is also a brittle wax, and you can see the whole spectrum at kallipos.de.

There are more online suppliers of Waterstons than of Abraxas, so you be able to find somewhere cost-effective. Green and Stone doesn't have an online shop, but the staff are very helpful, should you wish to place a mail order with them. (I bought some Abraxas from them in person but wasn't sure which colour was which, so they broke a piece off and melted it for me so I could see which was the translucent amber I was looking for, then they gave me a new stick.)

Take care to see whether the wax you want has a wick or not: it's not always immediately obvious in online photos.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sealing, wax, stamp, brittle, seal

Sponsored Content

|