Cleaning An Esterbrook J

jclewis33

I just bought an Easterbrook J and I love it. Writes amazing and looks amazing. I, however, just cleaned it for the first time. It took forever using the side lever. Do you have any tips for cleaning it next time? I would not like to spend the better part of 30 minutes cleaning my pen.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• pajaro

• ac12

• jclewis33

Pull (unscrew) the nib, use a bulb flusher on it, a syringe on the section/sac.

Keep in mind the last wisps from an old fill won't (generally) affect a new fresh fill.

Yes, there ARE a finite number of flexes in that j-bar (the lever pushes in on) before it dies.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

When the nib is unscrewed do you just stick the syringe directly into the end of the sac with the lever down? Does it not impede the flow of water coming back out? This is something I have not tried so it would be good to know exactly how to do it. Also, I have no idea how wide the open end of the sac is - having never looked at one. Maybe it is wide enough to accomodate a syringe with space to spare?

I've found that a bulb syringe works best for me. I remove the section (this isn't absolutely necessary - I'm just afraid of water getting in the barrel), unscrew the nib then, with a bulb-full of water, insert it into the section, leaving enough space to allow water to run out. Depending on the ink I've used, it usually takes just a few flushes to clean.

Cryptos - I squirt about 1 ml of water into the sac (with the nib removed) until I can see the water. Pour the water out of the sac which sometimes requires a little shake to get the water moving. Repeat as needed. Don't complicate this! ;)

I have the concerns Bruce mentioned re: cleaning by working the lever repeatedly which is why I tend to stay with one color of ink in a non-Estie lever filler. Another reason to love Esterbrooks!

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about jamming a tube on the end of the syringe. I only have hypodermic needles to hand. Have to look for some small gauge tubing.

Thanks. I was thinking the lever would wear out eventually if I cleaned the pen like that.

So where do I grip the pen to unscrew the nib and feed?

Also when you say unscrew or pull the nib, do you mean to pull the section off completely? I thought that was connected to the sac? Is there another section that pulls out besides the one holding the sac?

Also when you say unscrew or pull the nib, do you mean to pull the section off completely? I thought that was connected to the sac? Is there another section that pulls out besides the one holding the sac?

An Esterbrook "renew-point" is a nib-unit that unscrews. Check Ebay for Estie advertisements and you'll find that the company sold its pens as holders for its nibs. Even though we admire the colors and the marbled patterns, Esterbrook described itself as selling the "world's most personal pen". The customer was told to pick the point -- the best fit out of the 400 or 4,000 (only sight exaggeration) -- and have a clerk put the nib into a pen-body.

If your point doesn't twist, let it soak in plain water for an hour or so. While it's possible that a previous owner might have glued a point into place, it's more likely that dried ink is acting like glue or shellac. If a simple soak does not free the nib-unit, people can suggest more drastic solutions.

Don't bother trying to pull the section. At most, that will give you a point plus section plus sac and, at worst, you'll tear the sac.

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about jamming a tube on the end of the syringe. I only have hypodermic needles to hand. Have to look for some small gauge tubing.

A good cheap alternative is those plastic Pasteur pipettes

Can you buy them? My exposure to such equipment has been through my work in pathology. Since I've been out of that scene for the last handful of years I don't have access anymore.

I was forced to clean out an LJ today through the section due to a broken J bar.

I just used a 25 cent pipette from Anderson Pens inserted partway and flushed. The last of the watery ink didn't come out easily due to some physics suction reason but using the pipette to suck up some water helped. And leaving the pen upside down in a cup did the rest.

An Esterbrook "renew-point" is a nib-unit that unscrews. Check Ebay for Estie advertisements and you'll find that the company sold its pens as holders for its nibs. Even though we admire the colors and the marbled patterns, Esterbrook described itself as selling the "world's most personal pen". The customer was told to pick the point -- the best fit out of the 400 or 4,000 (only sight exaggeration) -- and have a clerk put the nib into a pen-body.

If your point doesn't twist, let it soak in plain water for an hour or so. While it's possible that a previous owner might have glued a point into place, it's more likely that dried ink is acting like glue or shellac. If a simple soak does not free the nib-unit, people can suggest more drastic solutions.

Don't bother trying to pull the section. At most, that will give you a point plus section plus sac and, at worst, you'll tear the sac.

Ok, great. That helps a lot. I will give it a try next time my pen is in need of cleaning.

Can you buy them? My exposure to such equipment has been through my work in pathology. Since I've been out of that scene for the last handful of years I don't have access anymore.

You could try SMS in Queenstown locally or just buy off eBay where you can get 100 for about $5 with free shipping or trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/health-beauty/other/auction-827742493.htm

Edited by johnmc2

• 7 months later...

Various implements of section squirtration.

2012-09-06_16-40-42_100.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The red tube from a can of compressed air makes a handy extender. The Goulet blunt needle was too skinny, so I used an Art Brown from the back of the drawer. I had to open the hole up a little, but it's a perfect super-tight fit. Out of an abundance of caution I rounded and smoothed the leading edge of the tube with an emery board.

fpn_1440423561__sac-cleaner-2.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I hold the pen (with the nib removed) upside over the sink and squirt water into the pen. It drains easily and if you turn it right side up and squirt water into then tip it over and flick it you will see the ink become watery and then clear. It's easier to fill through the opening too, just leave enough room for the nib or you will have ink spilling over your pen.

Blunt needle syringes can be bought on Amazon about 4 for $5 with free shipping.

I put an inch of clean water into a plastic Rx bottle. I use the lever to draw one measure of water. After agitating the water back and forth in the sac, I expel it. Refilling the Rx bottle, I repeat. A total of six cycles cleans the Esterbrook.

Is there a trace of very dilute ink in the feed system ? Yes.

Is the pen hospital clean ? No.

Is the pen clean enough to use in eating ? Never.

Does this matter to me ? Yes. I don't want to wear out and break my vintage Esterbrook, getting it clean enough to throw away a spotlessly clean, broken pen.

Just because the pen can be fully disassembled, does not obligate one to do it.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I put an inch of clean water into a plastic Rx bottle. I use the lever to draw one measure of water. After agitating the water back and forth in the sac, I expel it. Refilling the Rx bottle, I repeat. A total of six cycles cleans the Esterbrook.

Is there a trace of very dilute ink in the feed system ? Yes.

Is the pen hospital clean ? No.

Is the pen clean enough to use in eating ? Never.

Does this matter to me ? Yes. I don't want to wear out and break my vintage Esterbrook, getting it clean enough to throw away a spotlessly clean, broken pen.

Just because the pen can be fully disassembled, does not obligate one to do it.

Wouldn't activating the lever six times every time you cleaned your Estie cause more wear-and-tear than simply removing the nib and shooting water into the sac?

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Wouldn't activating the lever six times every time you cleaned your Estie cause more wear-and-tear than simply removing the nib and shooting water into the sac?

As long as you don't tear a hole in the sac when you shoot water into the sac.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com