The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Nib For A Model 52?

waterman nibs pens parts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:06

Some months ago I bought a Model 52 with a Moore Maniflex nib. It's somewhat crumpled and a bit too wet, so I was thinking of replacing it with a proper Waterman nib. I wonder if the collective wisdom of the forum can advise me what I should look out for, and perhaps someone can explain why one nib is worth 30 bucks and another worth 900?

Sponsored Content

#2 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:23

Waterman Ideal No. 2

#3 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 22:30

You're a stickler, sir. I note, however, that there seem to be a good many variants on this deceptively simple numeration. What, for instance, is the cute little engraved star about? When and why did the breather holes change shape? Is there a brief monograph somewhere that I might peruse?

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,982 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:17

Not aware of a monograph on Waterman nibs.  The 2 refers to the size of the nib as in the 2 in 52.  The writing/logo on the nib varied from model to model and changed over the years.  Seeing the pen may help identify a 'correct' nib but most #2 nibs will work fine.

I would expect a standard nothing fancy #2 Waterman nib to be in the realm of 30...not 900.  What Waterman nib is going for 900?

If you are close to Millbrae, we are having a pen gathering on the 11th.  You are welcome to attend.  (Anyone is welcome to attend.)

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:05

That was a slight overstatement, but I ended up buying a #2 from John Mottishaw; a medium nib he's modded to add flex. I'm going to let him marry it to the pen because I don't do tools. I'm excited.

#6 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2015 - 21:21

i have seen Mauricio mention that there were three different sizes of waterman #2 nibs but i dont think he has ever explained what the differences are between them and how to tell which one is correct for which pen.  i have not had a problem interchanging #2 nibs yet though.  

#7 Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 00:06

There are three lengths of the nibs for the 52, different types (not all for all lengths) and probably also different hardnesses. (All these nib types were available at the same time! It was the choice of the customer.) All nibs I have seen in 52s had heart shaped holes. The nib imprint can be either of the NEW YORK type or of the REG.US:PAT:OFF. type. The later seems to have appeared at the beginning of the second halve of the 1920s. If the 52 has also a REG.US.PAT.OFF imprint, then for best match also the nib should have it. Otherwise it is an earlier pen and should ideally have a NEW YORK nib. But both nib types fit into both pen types.

Cepasaccus

Edited by Cepasaccus, 20 January 2015 - 00:07.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:04

I thought you'd like the end of the story. Mr. Mottishaw married pen and nib and they work a treat. The pen and nib are both the Reg. Pat. Off. type so temporally they're a good match, but it's the nib - springy and responsive - that's the real story. It's the only pen I own that's been tuned for a left-handed writer, and it makes a real difference. And whatever Mr. M does to his nibs is a lot like alchemy. I've sent him a grateful email.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, nibs, pens, parts

Sponsored Content

|