Inky T O D - Color Swatches - Ambers, Yellows And Golds - Please Post Your Pictures And Tell Us Your Thoughts

amberleadavis

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• Jan2016

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what it is about Yamabukiiro (when written, not necessarily the swatch - the swatch kind of removes the green undertones) but something about it really makes me happy. It isn't super saturated, so it has a lovely slight color change along the edge when it dries. It is definitely something I reach for on a bad day.

I've been looking at Yamabukiiro, but then telling myself that I have Taisanji, which will suffice. Perhaps I need to experience the colour haloing myself. Just to be sure that I don't need it, of course.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I should have mentioned above that the Havanna Brown is from De Atramentis, who seem to have a really good range of browns and greys, not the more well known Waterman. If I could find the thread where someone was asking for a golden brown, I would definitely put this forward (although I think they found the Diamine Gibson guitar sunburst inks to fill the niche?).

• 2 weeks later...

Green Gold is an area I like!
fpn_1586570069__green_golds.jpg

Oh, the two stripes at the bottom are Sahara Grau and Havanna Brown from De Atramentis.
The pink is Rouille D'Ancre.

Edited by pgcauk

The amazingly golden "Golden Sands" of the Diamine Shimmertastic Inks!!

fpn_1444952403__golden_sands-hjb.jpg

This one is going on my "Ink Wishes" list!

As well as their great/overwhelming range of browns and greys, I notice that De Atramentis have three inks called gold: Gold, Old Gold and Topaz Gold (and also a Yellow Ochre). Has anyone been able to compare these?

fpn_1586885217__img_5796.jpg

fpn_1586885231__img_5797.jpg

fpn_1586885244__img_5798.jpg

fpn_1586885258__img_5799.jpg

Of course, the camera is helping along a bit too well with the legibility...

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Not all inks are for writing with, surely? I have "body text" colors (often quite drab), and then a whole range of annotation and highlighters. Red and Yellows can be great at grabbing attention even where they're not suited to writing a novel!
. . . . and then there's sketching inks . . .

Not all inks are for writing with, surely? I have "body text" colors (often quite drab), and then a whole range of annotation and highlighters. Red and Yellows can be great at grabbing attention even where they're not suited to writing a novel!

. . . . and then there's sketching inks . . .

fpn_1587213469__img_5800.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I find yellow is the best at getting attention but the hardest to read (hence highlighters etc.)
Red is next on the list. I have a small collection "Geometry Pens" (Pilot Penmanships - a disposable price but an extra-fine (Japanese!) nib) which I also use for bookkeeping and annotation - a soft-grey for construction lines, R&K Helianthus and Fenambuk for strong contrast and then an IG blue-black with an M nib for construction. Hang on a mo' . . . .
Thusly:
fpn_1540061919__triangles_in_ratio_-_tat

Red can seem so assertive but the idea of annotating students work in what is essentially a bright flamingo pink makes me feel much better!
I have a whole color cosmology, but we won't go there now!
In my little pen case which wraps around my phone & Notebook case I have three inks always with me:
An "olive drab" which lays out the general outline of events (material),
Scabiosa, which is more for goals, wishes, ideas and ideals and . . . .
A.N. orange for action items, "to do" lists, corrections, underlining etc.
At the moment I have Autumn Oak in the latter capacity as, again, I prefer something that's not too assertive (I had Akkerman's Steen Rood but that felt more like a command than a suggestion!).
I love this color stuff!
Generally moving from paint to ink I have found it best to "mute" everything down away from brighter "pure" colors (which are rare exceptions in Nature) to tertiary and lower levels of our everyday "background" colors and let the eyes rest a bit?
At the risk of trying patience, here's a sample:
fpn_1587237071__base_trio_20.jpg
I love how using color gives me more than one "voice" to speak in - very liberating - like moving from a two-dimensional existence to three!
Excuse me Yellow thread - I did not mean to hijack! Oh wait, I have Topas Gold to sear your retinas!

Edited by pgcauk

Here's the six occupents of my recent De Atramentis ink shipment from (wonderful) VanNess.
The three browns were full bottles, two of which I had samples of already, (and the third, bought blind "to qualify for free shipping" I am very, very happy with) and three samples, two of which I am uninterested in but I thought might be of interest here: Topas Gold and Apricot.
The Ocher Yellow I don't think qualifies for a place in this thread, bit it qualifies (as a pink!) for a place in my heart!
They didn't have a sample of Old Gold, but they sent me a swatch, which I will also scan and post below. The Topas and Old iterations of Gold I find quite remarkably distinct!
fpn_1587237750__de_atramentis_april_15th

Hurrah for VanNess!
fpn_1587238025__de_atramentis_old_gold.j

Edited by pgcauk

I've been a big fan of DeA Apricot for a long time, and I use it occasionally to grade papers. I assume that the anti-freeze florescent green underlying the color is what makes it so vivid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi pgcauk,

that is some lovely use of color in the geometric diagram! Did you draw those circles with circle templates, or with a compass? If the later, what kind of an ink set-up did you use? If the former, did you just use the dot grid to locate the centers of the circles, or what?

I find yellow is the best at getting attention but the hardest to read (hence highlighters etc.)
Red is next on the list. I have a small collection "Geometry Pens" (Pilot Penmanships - a disposable price but an extra-fine (Japanese!) nib) which I also use for bookkeeping and annotation - a soft-grey for construction lines, R&K Helianthus and Fenambuk for strong contrast and then an IG blue-black with an M nib for construction. Hang on a mo' . . . .
Thusly:
fpn_1540061919__triangles_in_ratio_-_tat

Red can seem so assertive but the idea of annotating students work in what is essentially a bright flamingo pink makes me feel much better!
I have a whole color cosmology, but we won't go there now!
In my little pen case which wraps around my phone & Notebook case I have three inks always with me:
An "olive drab" which lays out the general outline of events (material),
Scabiosa, which is more for goals, wishes, ideas and ideals and . . . .
A.N. orange for action items, "to do" lists, corrections, underlining etc.
At the moment I have Autumn Oak in the latter capacity as, again, I prefer something that's not too assertive (I had Akkerman's Steen Rood but that felt more like a command than a suggestion!).
I love this color stuff!
Generally moving from paint to ink I have found it best to "mute" everything down away from brighter "pure" colors (which are rare exceptions in Nature) to tertiary and lower levels of our everyday "background" colors and let the eyes rest a bit?
At the risk of trying patience, here's a sample:
fpn_1587237071__base_trio_20.jpg
I love how using color gives me more than one "voice" to speak in - very liberating - like moving from a two-dimensional existence to three!
Excuse me Yellow thread - I did not mean to hijack! Oh wait, I have Topas Gold to sear your retinas!

Hi n1003u!

The dots are materially helpful in this drawing as it is intended to show the relationship between the side and the height of an equilateral triangle, which is irrational, by comparing their areas, which are not!

I use, and love, the (very simple) circle master compasses, as they are cheap, simple, portable and allow me to work with a whole range of pens and colored pencils :)

Did you ever see the 1847 version of Euclid by Oliver Byrne? Math should not be restricted to black and white!! (In fact just this week I was leading a class towards positive and negative numbers, which can get frightful, by doing bookkeeping exercises with red and blue ink! Cancelling a debt is a lot more obviously beneficial than minusing a minus!!)

Apologies again, people interested in the color yellow!

• 1 year later...

Platinum Citrus Black (IG).  This ink has a lot of character - it shades dramatically from bright yellow-green to a dark gold-brown.  It's not really my cup of tea but I know other people love inks of this type.   It was easy to flush out of my Platinum Prefounte.

platinum_citrus_black.jpg