The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Vegetal Resin Pens

noodler ahab konrad

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shawng

shawng

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:06

So I've recently heard that normal noodler pens (made from vegetal resin) have the tendency to disintegrate with expose to ink or water. I personally love all noodler products, and own a bunch and would be pretty concerned if this was tue. That being said is there any validity to these claims?

Edited by shawng, 04 January 2015 - 01:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:10

News to me. Have a half-dozen Konrads, no damage from ink or water.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#3 The_Great_Pontini

The_Great_Pontini

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:26

Yeah, I mean if you dunk the pen in water for 300 years, it'll probably break down I would think.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

-Fred Allen 1894-1956

#4 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:31

anything disintegrate with water ANYTHING (maybe not gold) just time and sun are your best buddies why else do you think the pacific is now suffering from plastic problem it's called photodegradation

#5 shawng

shawng

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:54

News to me. Have a half-dozen Konrads, no damage from ink or water.

Best of luck,

Are the Konrad's made out of the same material as the Nib Creaper and the Ahab? Still waiting for my local store to get a stock of them. 

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:11

Are the Konrad's made out of the same material as the Nib Creaper and the Ahab? Still waiting for my local store to get a stock of them. 

Some of them are (the $20 US ones).  In fact, I noticed recently that some of them are made from identical blanks as the other two models.  

The ebonite and acrylic ones aren't -- but some of Neponsets are made with those.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 wastelanded

wastelanded

No affiliation.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:14

My Ahab's Pearl Konrad is two years old, and is developing brown spots like rust on a car. No soaking of any kind, minimal rinsing only.
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

#8 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:03

I have a Mandarin Yellow Ahab that I bought soon after they became available. (That's got to be at least a few years ago.) The feed has been hacked and the nib has the EMF mod. This pen is in regular rotation and is often being cleaned and/or soaked.

I have had zero problems with staining or break-down of the barrel/section or the cap in any way.

However the clear piston has turned a slight yellowish/brown color over time, but it operates normally like when new. The yellowish tinge to the piston may be due to ink staining. I tend to use yellow or orangeish colored inks in this pen that shade a lot when the pen is flexed. Apache Sunset is a regular, but I've never seen Apache Sunset stain any other pen before. So I'm on the fence about blaming the ink.

I have several other Ahab and Konrad pens that were purchased either at the same time as the Mandarin Yellow Ahab or after. None of those pens is showing any signs of break-down or staining either. I'd say there are at least a half-dozen "Vegetal" Noodler's pens kicking around here - in addition to the Ebonite and Acrylic versions.

Conclusion: So-far nothing to worry about, and that doesn't look like it will change.

#9 Hadders

Hadders

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:57

Pretty much false...

#10 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:57

but it takes a good 3 decades for plastic to photodegrade hence you can still have a soupy time capsule of plastic in the Pacific ocean but that means 30 years of exposure to water and sunlight... I don't think Casein would even last that long
according to hari they use LDPE which is the same thing found in some plastic containers depending on where you are from I think in the US generally use thats PET

Edited by Algester, 06 January 2015 - 06:03.

#11 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:21

So I've recently heard that normal noodler pens (made from vegetal resin) have the tendency to disintegrate with expose to ink or water. I personally love all noodler products, and own a bunch and would be pretty concerned if this was tue. That being said is there any validity to these claims?

Casein (made from milk solids) is the material that doesn't play well with water.  Ebonite (hard rubber) can discolor.  Vegetal Resin (which Omas also uses) should be fine.

#12 BlakeNole

BlakeNole

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2015 - 18:46

I've had a transparent blue Ahab for 2.5 years and have left it soaking for a few hours during regular cleanings. No noticeable changes from what I recall of it being brand new.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodler, ahab, konrad

Sponsored Content

|