I Copper Plated My Chipped & Scratched Lamy Studio

pringle

You have 'made my day!' I love seeing such divergent, creative solutions to problems, and your copper-plated Lamy Studio is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time. You have taken an already excellent design to a higher level because the copper surface, in my opinion, is more durable and, hence, more practical than the rubberized and painted surfaces of several, standard Studio models. It's also beautiful.

Although I like to use my brushed stainless steel, palladium, and enameled Studio pens, I have never liked the sticky, rubberized or matte-surfaced painted versions. I agree with some others that a copper-plated version should be a regular addition to the Studio line. Lamy, are you listening?

Thank you so much for sharing your project.

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• Anne-Sophie

• RMN

• OakIris

You have 'made my day!' I love seeing such divergent, creative solutions to problems, and your copper-plated Lamy Studio is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time. You have taken an already excellent design to a higher level because the copper surface, in my opinion, is more durable and, hence, more practical than the rubberized and painted surfaces of several, standard Studio models. It's also beautiful.

Although I like to use my brushed stainless steel, palladium, and enameled Studio pens, I have never liked the sticky, rubberized or matte-surfaced painted versions. I agree with some others that a copper-plated version should be a regular addition to the Studio line. Lamy, are you listening?

/Robert

+1

That. Is. So. Awesome. Impressed!

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

/Robert

Would you mind sharing which colors of the Studio are enamelled versus painted?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Would you mind sharing which colors of the Studio are enamelled versus painted?

As far as I know, the pearl white fountain pen (14K bi-color nib), rollerball, and ballpoint (purchased in 2008 and no chipping problem) and the new "Wild Rubin" (ruby red) writing instruments, also including a fountain pen (with steel or 14K bi-color nibs), rollerball, and ballpoint pen, are the glossy, enameled (hard enamel-like) versions of the Studio.

I have no idea why Lamy didn't keep the pearl white Studio in the permanent line up since it's quite beautiful, and it was so popular that it sold out almost immediately after its release.

/Robert

As far as I know, the pearl white fountain pen (14K bi-color nib), rollerball, and ballpoint (purchased in 2008 and no chipping problem) and the new "Wild Rubin" (ruby red) writing instruments, also including a fountain pen (with steel or 14K bi-color nibs), rollerball, and ballpoint pen, are the glossy, enameled (hard enamel-like) versions of the Studio.

I have no idea why Lamy didn't keep the pearl white Studio in the permanent line up since it's quite beautiful, and it was so popular that it sold out almost immediately after its release.

/Robert

I also wonder about that. White is a beautiful "primary color" it should have stayed in the line up.

I would love to see all the Studio colors released with the enameled finish. It is an upper tier writing instrument, so it needs to have a stylish and durable finish.

Reissuing the previous painted colors: blue, purple, coffee and the current painted colors imperial blue and grey with the enamel finish and the two tone gold nib would be great.

I also wish the platinum was offered with patterns, like the Parker 75.

Robert, would you mind describing the palladium color for me?

I thought it was a silver tone but the most recent photographies from Lamy seem to show a more golden color.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

"Robert, would you mind describing the palladium color for me?

I thought it was a silver tone but the most recent photographies from Lamy seem to show a more golden color."

When placed next to the brushed stainless steel Studio, the difference, and non-silvery tone, is dramatic since the palladium instrument appears to be a matte, very pale, warm golden color--like champagne, and light is diffused when reflected from the pen's surface. The clip and end pieces present a very shiny, silver-toned contrast. The palladium Studio attains a high degree of coolosity, for me.

Regards, Robert

"Robert, would you mind describing the palladium color for me?

I thought it was a silver tone but the most recent photographies from Lamy seem to show a more golden color."

When placed next to the brushed stainless steel Studio, the difference, and non-silvery tone, is dramatic since the palladium instrument appears to be a matte, very pale, warm golden color--like champagne, and light is diffused when reflected from the pen's surface. The clip and end pieces present a very shiny, silver-toned contrast. The palladium Studio attains a high degree of coolosity, for me.

Regards, Robert

Thanks Robert, much appreciated description.

Oh, I forgot to ask.

How would you describe the difference between the stainless steel and the two tone gold nib?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robert, much appreciated description.

Oh, I forgot to ask.

How would you describe the difference between the stainless steel and the two tone gold nib?

'Very sorry I haven't had a chance to answer your question sooner. I have found the stainless steel nibs to be consistently good. The 14K bi-color nibs seem to vary a lot in line width although they also perform well. The stainless steel fine nibs seem to write a narrower line than the 14K bi-color fine width nibs. The 14K nibs are certainly beautiful, but I think you would be happy with the steel-nibbed Wild Rubin Studio and it is certainly cost-effective, and you're actually writing with a similar iridium-like alloy tip.

Part of the reason the steel nibs are so consistent is that, I believe, they are robotically produced, while the 14K bi-color nibs are completed individually by Lamy technicians. The technicians, most-likely, put finishing touches to the nibs which probably affects the shape and width of the tip.

I also wanted to mention that on my early matte black Lamy Studio the steel nib seemed to be a light gray, rather than the shiny steel--like on the Lamy Safari. It came out at a time when most of the Safari line had black anodized nibs. I like the muted tone of that early Studio steel nib (a fine), and it writes very well.

Regards, Robert

A bit late to the party, but that looks fantastic! It would be cool if Lamy made something like this. A clear coat over it might protect the finish. Amazing work! :thumbup:

"Oh deer."

• 4 months later...

Amazing!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 3 years later...

Sadly the original image is no longer available. I for one would love to see it reposted!

Sadly the original image is no longer available. I for one would love to see it reposted!

Dont count on it. Poster has not logged in on FPN since the day after he posted this.

Probably cleared his files on Imgur, forgot all about FPN.

That is why we keep saying: don't use a picture service but post on FPN.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~