What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2015

RMN

I am waiting for a Montblanc WE Balzac that I ordered from Fritz Schimpf. My local Montblanc Boutique only has got the complete set in stock and as I don't need the pencil or the ballpoint, I had to order it online. However, because I want to have a fine nib, I'll still have to wait about two weeks until it arrives.

I also thought about getting the Pelikan Stresemann instead if I couldn't find the Balzac somewhere, well actually I even found one at a "Chinese" tourist store here in Salzburg - they cater for tourists that buy luxury products duty free - but when I asked whether I could have a look at it, the first question was whether I would like to buy it (well, yes; but basically I wanted to know whether it had a fine or medium nib); they checked the sticker, told me it was a fine nib, and asked again whether I would like to buy it now without allowing me to have a close look at it; then I walked out of the store as they apparently didn't have any time, went to the Montblanc boutique again where I was allowed to inspect the one in the set and actually hold it, although I had told them that I wasn't going to buy the set; however, I tested three other pens (Swift, two Defoes as one of the fine nibs was finer than the other one), was offered a coup of coffee and spent about one hour there without even buying a single pen. Four days later I was resolved to forget everything that had happened before at the "Chinese" store, went back again, but was thrown out of the shop as soon as I had opened the door because the shop assistant or the owner of the shop (actually there were about six shop assistants) didn't have time to talk to me: "I have to unpack the new delivery; come back in an hour!" "So you don't want to have my money?" "Not now! Come back later! In an hour! Not now! Go! No time for you! Not now!" Well, I went away (I think I was swearing in French and hoped that she wouldn't understand it, something like "put*** de m****, vas-te faire f***** con****)... To my own surprise, I came back! I just wanted to get the pen! I think she had come to her senses, because she tried to be nicer and I was even allowed to touch it, although I had to wear slippery cotton gloves! So I inspected the nib and realised that it was bent beyond repair, showed it to her and she promised me to talk to Montblanc about it and told me that I should come back the following week. Well, I came back (oh, why?), but apparently she wasn't there and another shop assistant told me to come again the... following day! So, to cut a long story short, I grabbed my bike, went to the Montblanc Boutique and bought the only remaining Jonathan Swift instead :-). Yes, I could have bought the Balzac and could have taken it to the boutique to have the nib exchanged, but I just didn't want to (and never will) see this shop again. Rant over!

This was about one month ago, but I still couldn't get the Balzac out of my head and so I decided to order it online, although I prefer to test the pens before buying them.

Ok, what did I want to say? Ah yes, I thought about getting the Stresemann instead, but it would always remind me that I didn't get the Blazac I actually had wanted. I have also read three novels by Balzac and like what I read. I cannot wait for it to arrive so as to restore my inner peace.

Andreas

Edited by Serlo

Andreas

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• Feathers

• RMN

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found a very interesting deal at Farhney's (no relation), a Montegrappa Espressîone, the old model with sterling silver section, 18K nib and ebonite feed. Limited choice (blue with F nib) that happened to be what I was looking for.

I also finally got myself Andreas Lambrou's book "Fountain Pens of the World"

Cheers,

Pierre

Rant over!

This was about one month ago, but I still couldn't get the Balzac out of my head and so I decided to order it online, although I prefer to test the pens before buying them.

Good rant. Cool story.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

I think it's Nicer looking than the Mont Blanc Hemmingway, at a fraction of the price. I'll post pics when it arrives

Edited by FOUR X FOUR

Platinum #3776 Celluloid Tortoise in Medium. A tortoise fountain pen to match my signature tortoise Ray Bans. B)

fpn_1435818645__platinum-celluloid-torto

Should arrive by Thursday or Friday of next week!

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Just ordered a Parson's Essential in amber with a medium cursive stub...

19162602989_18246248a3_b.jpg

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

I'll be waiting for this to come this week, ordering from Bryant tomorrow (Monday). I've been looking at this beauty for about 3 months now, finally able to spring for it. Can't wait and will post pics when I receive it. Getting it in medium so we'll see how flexible the nib is.

--John--

I love Visconti pens and that one is simply splendid ..... I ´ll wait a little bit before buying one because of jphis high orice ....

Ordered 2 pens yesterday.

Platinum 3776 Century, black with rhodium trim, music nib

Edison Beaumont, Bordeaux flake, 1.1 italic nib

I'm yearning for another Parson's Essential too. Think I might go for a broad italic this time, not sure which colour yet.

PORTIA DA COSTA
writing erotica and erotic romance since 1991/

born again fountain pen addict
http://www.portiadacosta.com

Gah, I have no willpower. I pulled the trigger on a green Parson's with broad italic nib too.

My excuse is that himself is away on a motorcycling holiday and I need some treats to cheer me up. :)

PORTIA DA COSTA

Gah, I have no willpower. I pulled the trigger on a green Parson's with broad italic nib too.

My excuse is that himself is away on a motorcycling holiday and I need some treats to cheer me up. :)

Well, it's not like you took a risk and got something foolish. You already have the medium; now it's time for a little more drama in your writing. You have me considering the broad italic also. I'll stay tuned to hear what you think.

Edited by Manalto

James

According to my precision calculations, my pen should arrive in the United States just in time for the holiday weekend. After 10 years, what's another three days, right? This is just like the Marine Corps Marathon – you see the statue of the marines raising the flag on Suribachi. "The end is in sight, whew!" Wrong answer: more than a mile left as you pass the statue. What a drag.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Well, it's not like you took a risk and got something foolish. You already have the medium; now it's time for a little more drama in your writing. You have me considering the broad italic also. I'll stay tuned to hear what you think.

As I live in the UK I don't have to wait long. Mr Pen has posted the pen and it'll be here tomorrow! :)

PORTIA DA COSTA

Just ordered, and am now waiting for my first TWSBI - a green 580, as well as my first Lamy - a blue green Al-Star! The Al-Star will also be my first experience in owning a B nib. So many firsts and so much excitement!

Just ordered a Lamy Safari in this year's Neon Lime (M nib) on sale from ipenstore. :) Well now.. I'm going to be looking forward to lots of pen mail for awhile as pens start filtering their way to my door.

I had a couple of the "Newton" versions of the Rotring 600 but I sold them. I grew to regret that so I just bought a silver 600, original version, on eBay. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I just bought a limited edition Sailor 1911 Standard Mocha Brown with rhodium trim (link to eBay listing). I am so excited! :happycloud9:

I've been thinking about buying a sailor 1911 Standard for some time now. I like the shape and size but the regular colors are not very inspiring. This one is transparent brown (Squee!) with rhodium trim i.e. just about perfect. Can't wait to receive it. (ETA: although the trim might be chrome and just the nib rhodium, I don't really care either way.)

Edited by thecla

An Italix Parson's essential in fine, which has been lost for two months now in the french Customs in Roissy!

I had a couple of the "Newton" versions of the Rotring 600 but I sold them. I grew to regret that so I just bought a silver 600, original version, on eBay. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

The original has a better reputation; I can't compare because I've never tried the Newton. I have two of the original, one in silver and one in black, both extra-fine. They're heavy, substantial, of unmistakable high quality. The nib is sleek and beautiful, works flawlessly, and feels smooth even though it's an EF. I love the knurled section; others have complained that it hurts their fingers, which makes me wonder if they're holding it in a death grip! Impossible - a ridiculous javelin - posted. Converters are available. One of my favorite pens. I hope you enjoy yours!

Edited by Manalto

James

The original has a better reputation; I can't compare because I've never tried the Newton. I have two of the original, one in silver and one in black, both extra-fine. They're heavy, substantial, of unmistakable high quality. The nib is sleek and beautiful, works flawlessly, and feels smooth even though it's an EF. I love the knurled section; others have complained that it hurts their fingers, which makes me wonder if they're holding it in a death grip! Impossible - a ridiculous javelin - posted. Converters are available. One of my favorite pens. I hope you enjoy yours!

Thanks for the mini-review, Manalto. I have a few Rotring mechanical pencils and like them very much. I have considered the pens, but never bought one. I may start looking for one or two, now.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I always wanted one but the prices had shot up by the time I had disposable funds. I've got an early non telescopic Esprit which does have the same qualities rotring was famous for. So I've come to except I probably won't get one unless some sumgai was to come my way.