The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Unusual Swan Nib?

mabie todd

8 replies to this topic

#1 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 22:49

I have been very fortunate to acquire a very nice Swan SM1/57.  Apart from its prettiness, it has a most interesting nib which I assume is quite unusual: it is a broad oblique italic.  Writing with one of these is quite discipline-inducing!

Cob

1.jpg Nib 1.jpg Nib 2.jpg

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 johnmc2

johnmc2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 23:39

What a lovely pen.  I have the SM2 in the same colour.  I like the lever which I think is made from hard rubber?

#3 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 23:46

What a lovely pen.  I have the SM2 in the same colour.  I like the lever which I think is made from hard rubber?

Thanks.

I think that Mabie Todd had the most marvellous range of colours, and the blue/bronze (57) is not only attractive but charmingly subtle too.  Marine Bronze (58) is also splendid.

Yes the levers were black hard rubber.  There was one exception: the Big Blackbird which had a similarly-shaped ever but in red hard rubber.  These hard rubber levers are quite easily snapped by the clumsy who encounter a hardened sac!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#4 c4bb0ose

c4bb0ose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:23

I have an sf 130 with that exact nib on it, it is hard rubber however with a metal leaver along with no clip.

#5 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:48

Murfie says please don't bring it to the next meeting as he will be tempted to make an offer & we are on a pen-buying moratorium! :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

#6 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:50

Murfie says please don't bring it to the next meeting as he will be tempted to make an offer & we are on a pen-buying moratorium! :-)

A moratorium?  Oh dear!  I don't think I will be selling that one very soon, but then I always say that don't I? :happyberet:

I have one or two others...

Cob

#7 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:53

I have an sf 130 with that exact nib on it, it is hard rubber however with a metal leaver along with no clip.

Yes, and two gold bands?  They are very nice pens; reinstalling the lever-filling mechanism is a bit fiddly though!  So that's two of those nibs I know about; any others out there?

Rgds

Cob

#8 c4bb0ose

c4bb0ose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 21:51

Yes, and two gold bands?  They are very nice pens; reinstalling the lever-filling mechanism is a bit fiddly though!  So that's two of those nibs I know about; any others out there?

Rgds

Cob

Just one gold band around the top of the cap, ill get some pictures once I can find the cord to upload them from my camera :P

Edited by c4bb0ose, 05 January 2015 - 21:52.

#9 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,743 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2015 - 22:48

Just one gold band around the top of the cap, ill get some pictures once I can find the cord to upload them from my camera :P

I meant bands on the barrel? 

I have a SF230, no clip no nib, Another unmarked but similar but in black celluloid rather than BHR, wrong cap, uber-flex Phillips nib, a third a 230-60 with lovely flexible  stub nib and finally a 230B-60 with a great NY stub nib.  This one has the wrong cap too - and no clip either!  There's also a 230-50 jade, twin bands on the barrel as with all the others, with wrong cap - a rather garish green one, with very flexible English nib.

Cob

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd

Sponsored Content

|