Do You Still Remember Danitrio Raw Ebonite?

Tojusi

Do you still remember a time... some years back... when the black Danitrio raw ebonite pens were the "new black"?

I haven't seen any on the classifieds for some time, though it might be that I have not been diligent in my monitoring. Perhaps people are not letting go of their pens.

I still wonder how I was able to buy some of them, back then, being a relative newbie. Any pens that appeared for sale were snatched up in minutes.

Are you still enjoying your raw ebonite Danitrio?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• zaddick

• hari317

• rpsyed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes and no; how’s that for an answer right after the holidays?

Yes - I got a Sho-Genkai from Kevin, held it for a few minutes before sending it off to Ernest so he could work his magic. Ernest used the Tsugaru-nuri technique to transform the pen (the same style he used on the Edison Pearl a few years back). It looks great.

So, No- I no longer have a raw ebonite pen. This is one of the few time I wished I bought two identical pens (each with a different nib) in which I would have kept one in the raw state. I was impressed with the matte finish.

If Kevin (Kevin, if you’re reading this hint-hint) would ever offer to do another run of raw ebonite pens I would probably sign up. A Densho would be great.

Oh yes! I have a raw Densho, and it's a daily writer. I love the ED filler with the shut of valve, I love the ergonomics of the pen, it's weight and balance, and the ebonite is awesome. Actually, as far as writing comfort is concern, I like it much better than urushi (sold two Denshi with urushi). I was very tempted by the sho genkai, but the price was not right for me, and after seeing the pen, I think it was better this way.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Seems that I did not list my Danitrio there in the original post. The following are raw ebonite:

- Densho with a factory stub nib (supposed to be "flexy stub nib", but basically it is a soft stub) in shiny black

- Densho with EF nib, matte black

- Mikado with F nib, matte black, flat top with a clip

My fourth Danitrio is not raw ebonite - it is a tamenuri Genkai with a 0.7mm Binder cursive italic nib.

If I were to ink up all of these eyedroppers at once, it would be a while before I would need to rotate pens!

My raw ebonite Densho is also one of my daily writers. I love the feel of the pen, the smooth, wide section, and the lack of a step between the barrel and section. One of my favorite pens.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I had a Densho and a Mikado both RE, but ended up selling them to fund other purchases. I do have a RE Takumi with Yin Yang sterling silver and abalone inlays in it.

I am not selling any of my current crop of Dani Trio's. I learned my lesson...

the Danitrio Fellowship

I find it hard to understand why Danitrio doesn't make these any more. They've got to be much less work than the urushi models, and more people would be able to afford them. Right now prices for old used RE pens (if you can find them) are very high, because of the scarcity.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I recall there was a specific person who made them for Danitrio and one he was done, they were out. He may have just retired or perhaps passed away, I cannot remember.

As a firm, I get the impression Danitrio is not looking for volume sales anymore so there seems to be no incentive to redo the RE pens. Just my opinion.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Kevin (winedoc) was a huge influence in getting those done. He's not as active these days. I doubt they will ever do it again.

I recall there was a specific person who made them for Danitrio and one he was done, they were out. He may have just retired or perhaps passed away, I cannot remember.

As a firm, I get the impression Danitrio is not looking for volume sales anymore so there seems to be no incentive to redo the RE pens. Just my opinion.

I agree. If they were interested in volume sales, they surely would be able to find someone to finish the raw ebonite. It makes no sense to me to think there was only one person in the world able to make them.

IMO, they're missing out on a major demographic. They'd be well served by offering a "gateway drug" in the form of RE versions of their pens, which would later stimulate more sales of the higher-end versions. I know that Nakaya pens are popular here and are relatively inexpensive, but to me most of them seem less desirable than the Densho in terms of ergonomics.

Yes - I got a Sho-Genkai from Kevin, held it for a few minutes before sending it off to Ernest so he could work his magic. Ernest used the Tsugaru-nuri technique to transform the pen (the same style he used on the Edison Pearl a few years back). It looks great.

Ooh! If it's not too much work, I'd love it if you posted some pictures. That pen must be beautiful!

I make custom pens

I've made several from ebonite

I have both German and Japanese Ebonite rod

I am Tim Cullen from Hooligan pen company

I also collect Danitrio pens

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this party, but thought I would add my $0.02 worth. I purchased one of the original Densho RE pens, at that time a big investment for me as I usually bought vintage pens at estate sales and such and did the restoration myself. When Kevin offered the Sho-Genkai in RE, I jumped at it (thanks for the lay away plan, Kevin!!).

While I don't carry these pens everyday, I do love the feel of the RE and the quality of the pens generally.

Madhatter - I've toyed with the ideal of sending my Sho-Genkai off to Ernest, but have yet to decide. I have a few other Urushi Dani's so keeping the RE pens will probably win out.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

The maker of the raw ebonite pens took ill several years ago and will not be making pens again. This combined with the fact that they are focused on the higher end urushi/maki-e market makes it likely that there will never be any new RE danitrios made.

The actual production was in pretty small numbers, I believe less than 10 for some models. If you have one, hold on to it - it'll be very very hard to find another!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I make custom pens

I've made several from ebonite

I have both German and Japanese Ebonite rod

I am Tim Cullen from Hooligan pen company

I also collect Danitrio pens

Wonderful! Do you also make ED pens with the shutoff valve?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I could not get one in RE. I sniped one Densho with Kuro Keshi 'recession' urushi from Chatterley recently (or more like the pen sniped me). It is my favorite pen at the moment. No other pen had successfully commanded me to get a 2nd. This Densho did it. I ended up getting a Takumi which is on shipping.

I do not think Danitrio should stop the RE. It's good to have some entry level models (which do not require $$$$); so people can know and appreciate their pens (which I am very regret for not getting one sooner).

Hoping this, I guess I'll lose that 'never make again' for my Densho, but I think the company provides great pens that can make many people happy. Lone wolf is cool; however, wolf pack is more fun.

Edited by Downcelot

I had acquired a few of the REs, sold them all off. Only retained some of the Urushi Danis.

What did you keep Hari?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!