The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Bottles To Decant Ink Into

ink lid not cork practical

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:32

I bought some 2 oz and 4 oz amber glass Boston Rounds recently.  They would mostly be for storage rather than actually working from (I spent part of Christmas night decanting some vintage Skrip Peacock into several of the 4 oz. bottles -- one of which I put an eyedropper cap on).  But I realize now that the 2 oz. bottles in particular would not really be good to fill pens from except for the really thin ones like the Parker Vectors.  So, since I don't have any *empty* bottles yet, I use sample vials or the 1 oz. nalgene bottles for travel purposes (but, being plastic rather than glass, I'm not convinced that either are an ideal "long term" storage solution).
When I *do* get to the point of empty bottles, I suspect that the Waterman bottle and the Sailor Jentle bottle (and possibly the empty Levenger bottle) will be my best bets.  And of course the three Ackerman bottles -- but it's going to take a LONG time to empty those.... Especially since I keep getting distracted by bright shiny objects other inks....  :lol: 
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: 
@ alexcat -- Does that bottle have a screw-on cap?  It's gorgeous -- but yet, other than the cap it does look like an Herbin bottle....

Ah, Im not sure....must check and see. ( and I love those Ackerman bottles....and now the Levenger, too! Leaving me atray, you are....)
"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Sponsored Content

#22 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:35

I use Boston Rounds (30ml) and wide mouth glass vials (8 ml) for many of my inks. It gives a nice conformity to things, although I only fill directly from the vials.

I learn so much here....had to Google Boston Rounds: sounded like a really yummy cream cake :)
"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

#23 Alexcat

Alexcat

Lost in space

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:45

Got this, which is "the very dab"(perfect for the purpose....)

It's much nicer than it seems in the photo....and has a lovely swan on the bottom. Really nice, and didnt cost much.

image.jpg

#24 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 15:56

I reuse my lamy bottle.  Not the prettiest but unmistakable. my MB shoe is pretty but not yet empty.

TWSBI also makes pretty inkwell bottles.

#25 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 21:11

HuZolZp.jpg
I found these while somebody posted some Sailor exclusive pens...
zmLKnqG.jpg
from pen-house Japan they retail 100-200 USD ish for the Japanese craftsmanship

Absolutely beautiful. Would really love to see like this one on my desk... probably wouldn't be there for long time... just till the cat arrive...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, lid, not cork, practical

Sponsored Content

|