The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Michael Masuyama Review

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:56

Michael Masuyama has a good reputation, and I can now see why.
He received the pen on October 30th and sent an email saying the approximate turnaround time would be 10 weeks. He sent the finished pens on 22 December 2014, and they were in my mailbox on the 26th.
I've seen some ground nibs on which it's obvious they've been tweaked, but I would not be able to notice that either of these nibs received grinds.
I didn't expect the flow to be as impressive as it is.
The 1911L is exactly as I expected it to be and am really satisfied with the width; it's just the right width for my tastes. I provided a writing sample, and he grinded it to match the width. I'm so impressed with how well It performs!
Maybe it will fix itself with use, but the Needlepoint catches just slightly on the left strokes. I don't foresee I'll be using it too much, sadly. :(
It was a $40 pen to begin with, so it likely shouldn't have even been tweaked anyways. My main hopes were on the 1911, which were far exceeded. :)
Overall, I'm very satisfied with the service, and Masuyama really knows what he's doing.
Hopefully the 1911 won't be the last pen I send him.

The larger pen on the left in the photo is the 1911L (such a gorgeous nib...)
And the Young Profit on the right.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 AndrewC

AndrewC

user

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:11

Holy smokes! Those are some fine nibs! With the needlepoint, I am not surprised if it catches on a leftward stroke. It is not uncommon for very fine points to be finicky. I imagine that it has a veeery small sweet spot. You might try rotating the pen a little or adjusting the angle you hold the pen at to find it. Also, a different ink could make a difference. Find one that is more viscous or has lubricating properties, and it might help.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

#3 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:43

Glad to hear you had a great experience!  I went with Michael for a stub grind on my M600 Tortoise too - just sent it mid-December, and waiting (im)patiently for it to be dealt with! :lol: I found him very friendly and nice in his correspondence, and he answered my numerous emails promptly and without complaint. Wish I could attend a pen show and meet him!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#4 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 988 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:12

Good review, and you hit the nail on the head with the "not able to notice..." comment.  His grinds look like they came out of the factory that way.

#5 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,823 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2014 - 15:43

He's just as magical with an IB or 1.3 stub.

#6 IWantThat

IWantThat

I dream in ink...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:03

I had him regrind a stubborn Broad Montegrappa nib to a fine some years back and it's still one of my favorite nibs. Like yours, it looked like it was made to be a Fine - no blemishes of any kind on the metal. I highly recommend his work, as others do.

Tamara

#7 Kid Parker

Kid Parker

PBA Galleries Penman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 20:44

Mike has done several nib grinds for me, and his work is amazing!  I've sent him pens from Montblanc, Fend, Pelikan, Parker, Goldfink, and my favorite, Yard-o-Led, and they've all come back with wonderfully expressive nibs.  I just gave him two more pens to work on at the LA show, and eagerly await their return....

I. Briggs Director, Fine Pens and Comics, PBA Galleries Auctioneers, San Francisco ivan@pbagalleries.com

#8 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 00:04

I have had him smooth out some M90's after accidents, tune a visconti Palladium nib flow down, and a few other things, and each time, I am very satisfied. If i saw him in person, I'd buy him dinner. 

#9 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:29

Why don’t you try to gently smooth out the needle point with micromesh, rather than have it sit in a draw :(

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|