The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Best Fountain Pen Ever Made?

best fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:27

Both Vacumatic and Aerometric 51s would write the same. It is, mostly, the filling system that make people prefer one over the other. The diaphragm on the Vac 51s do fail more frequently (5 to 15 years) than the sac on the Aeros. And the replacement of the diaphragm is a tricky job that not every one is able to accomplish at home. In most cases one has to send it to a pro and, thus, pay for the repair cost upto $25-$30. On the other hand, almost 99% of the Aeros are found with the original sac that the pen came out of factory with some 60-70 years ago still in good shape.

Even then, there are peoples who prefer the Vacs over the Aeros for one reason or the other (apart from the filling system) such as colors, double jewels (on some of the Vacs), ink capacity or variety of cap / clip combinations.

Best.

Edited by mitto, 20 November 2017 - 11:29.

Khan

Sponsored Content

#62 tonydent84

tonydent84

Just Another Pen Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:29

Oh and best pen for me is a modern pen - Pilot Custom 823 or the Pelikan M800.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

#63 tonydent84

tonydent84

Just Another Pen Fanatic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:45

Both Vacumatic and Aerometric 51s would write the same. It is, mostly, the filling system that make people prefer one over the other. The diaphragm on the Vac 51s do fail more frequently (5 to 15 years) than the sac on the Aeros. And the replacement of the diaphragm is a tricky job that not every one is able to accomplish at home. In most cases one has to send it to a pro and, thus, pay for the repair cost upto $25-$30. On the other hand, almost 99% of the Aeros are found with the original sac that the pen came out of factory with some 60-70 years ago still in good shape.

Even then, there are peoples who prefer the Vacs over the Aeros for one reason or the other (apart from the filling system) such as colors, double jewels (on some of the Vacs), ink capacity or variety of cap / clip combinations.

Best.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure at first why there was preference for one over the other, but it makes a lot more sense now. Originally, I preferred the vaccumatic filler because it reminded me of the Homo Sapiens or the Pilot 823 or the old Sheaffer pens - but now that you bring up the maintenance issues, it makes sense to go with the aerometric fillers.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: best fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|