The Best Fountain Pen Ever Made?

luvgolfing

Both Vacumatic and Aerometric 51s would write the same. It is, mostly, the filling system that make people prefer one over the other. The diaphragm on the Vac 51s do fail more frequently (5 to 15 years) than the sac on the Aeros. And the replacement of the diaphragm is a tricky job that not every one is able to accomplish at home. In most cases one has to send it to a pro and, thus, pay for the repair cost upto $25-$30. On the other hand, almost 99% of the Aeros are found with the original sac that the pen came out of factory with some 60-70 years ago still in good shape.

Even then, there are peoples who prefer the Vacs over the Aeros for one reason or the other (apart from the filling system) such as colors, double jewels (on some of the Vacs), ink capacity or variety of cap / clip combinations.

Best.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Ron Z

• luvgolfing

• PenHero

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and best pen for me is a modern pen - Pilot Custom 823 or the Pelikan M800.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

Both Vacumatic and Aerometric 51s would write the same. It is, mostly, the filling system that make people prefer one over the other. The diaphragm on the Vac 51s do fail more frequently (5 to 15 years) than the sac on the Aeros. And the replacement of the diaphragm is a tricky job that not every one is able to accomplish at home. In most cases one has to send it to a pro and, thus, pay for the repair cost upto $25-$30. On the other hand, almost 99% of the Aeros are found with the original sac that the pen came out of factory with some 60-70 years ago still in good shape.

Even then, there are peoples who prefer the Vacs over the Aeros for one reason or the other (apart from the filling system) such as colors, double jewels (on some of the Vacs), ink capacity or variety of cap / clip combinations.

Best.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure at first why there was preference for one over the other, but it makes a lot more sense now. Originally, I preferred the vaccumatic filler because it reminded me of the Homo Sapiens or the Pilot 823 or the old Sheaffer pens - but now that you bring up the maintenance issues, it makes sense to go with the aerometric fillers.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

• 3 months later...

Sheaffer Legacy 2....the last Sheaffer pen made in the US and the best writting instrument ever made.

You have not given us any reason why you believe the snorkel ( which Snorkel?) is the best pen ever. Do you wish to inspire some interesting and intelligent discussion or are you merely interested in voicing your own opinion? Also why post this in the Sheaffer forum if you care for an objective discussion of all pens?

It seems like you are a pen expert...I'm interested in your opinion on the best pen ever....

"best" is such an impossibly vague word that can mean anything, so I prefer to say best in what way

For nib alone and writing experience(eg uniqueness and appeal, reliability, consistency of experience etc), it can only be a Sailor.

For aesthetics, one of the Viscontis or the metal bodied long diamond nib Sheaffers.

For a complete(design, ink capacity, balance, overall appeal, durability) pen, possibly the Waterman Carene or the Lamy 2000.

For best value for money, any of the Jinhaos or Heroes. A pen, after all, is meant to write and write well. These pens do - they're reliable and issue free after an initial flush - and for very little money.

Edited by Bluey

• 6 months later...

(1) Waltham was the biggest US maker of fountain pens for a while in the 30s and early 40s, and (2) they made the Wearever line the most popular US fountain pen brand for a decade or so in the late 40s and early 50s.

I would love to see the data that supports both statements 1 & 2.

I bought a few Wearevers in the later 1950s. The ink sacs leaked with a month on each and every pen. They are probably the reason behind my use of ballpoints until finishing college in 1970. Then I bought a new Parker 51 I still use daily.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Wearever is just a reworked Waltham, made by the same people. The Waltham was the el cheapo pen of the 30s, but it writes very well indeed. I have two Wearevers from the 40s/50s and both write like a dream. Nice hard plastic, no cracks, no leaks, and a very expressive , slightly toothy line. Also, their bladders hold more ink than any other bladder pen I have ever used. I wish I had a hundred of 'em.

Wearever was a trademark of and the major brand of David Kahn, Inc. According to the company, it was established in 1896 and its manufacturing plant was in North Bergen, New Jersey for most of the company's existence. The company always focused on popular price pens and in the 1940s advertised as "America's largest pen manufacturer." The company continued making fountain pens into the 1960s.

Waltham was a brand made by the Starr Pen Company of Chicago, Illinois. It is unrelated to Wearever.

My wife and I refer to Wearevers as "whatevers." It got me into trouble with Don Fluckinger. :D

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

My wife and I refer to Wearevers as "whatevers." It got me into trouble with Don Fluckinger. :D

Haha! That's good.

I've always referred to them as Wherevers because it seems that wherever you go hunting pens, you will always find a Wearever.

As for the best pen? Easy:

The next one!

Haha! That's good.

I've always referred to them as Wherevers because it seems that wherever you go hunting pens, you will always find a Wearever.

As for the best pen? Easy:

The next one!

Everleaks. That's how I think of them. Everleaks.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Everleaks. That's how I think of them. Everleaks.

The first two fountain pen I ever owned were two Wearever cartridge pen with metal caps. The things leaked all over the place. That was back in 4th grade, 1966. I hated them, and finally threw them away. Fountain pens were rescued by the next pen which was a Sheaffer student pen. To this day I will not deliberately buy one unless I have to have a part to repair one.

I pulled a NOS Wearever out to put a new sac in for someone. NOS, brand new. THE FIRST TIME I pulled the lever, the pressure bar broke.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yeah, but that freebie one with the stub nib I had you repair is not a bad pen for the money....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The first two fountain pen I ever owned were two Wearever cartridge pen with metal caps. The things leaked all over the place. That was back in 4th grade, 1966. I hated them, and finally threw them away. Fountain pens were rescued by the next pen which was a Sheaffer student pen. To this day I will not deliberately buy one unless I have to have a part to repair one.

I pulled a NOS Wearever out to put a new sac in for someone. NOS, brand new. THE FIRST TIME I pulled the lever, the pressure bar broke.

About like my experience in the 4th grade in 1957, and unsurprising.

Yeah, but that freebie one with the stub nib I had you repair is not a bad pen for the money....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

They are all bad deals. Put the stub in another pen. A real pen.

Edited by pajaro