• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• lurcho

• avlisyar

• 4lex

The OPs question is 5 years old but still stands.

I m interested in the answer, in case anyone has it.

This is not about gold vs steel nibs however.

As it has been said flex or softness does not depend on the material, but probably on a lot of other factors together.

The question however still is

Has anyone tried a Jowo gold nib? How does it behave vs its steel Jowo alternative.

I use Jowo steel nibs, they are good but mostly stiff.

If the gold version were softer I would consider purchase.

I do not consider titanium as an alternative, I tend to dislike the excessive yield.

I have pens with JOWO nibs in Steel and Gold (14K and 18K).

The Gold nibs are definitely a little softer in IMHO and while I

enjoy them, I am partial to the Steel nibs. BTW, all of these nibs

are Italics for what it is worth. The grinds were done by Mike M

and Pablo at FP Nibs.

Thank you very much.

I have quite a number of pens with steel Jowo nibs, they are very good nibs, smooth, and with regular flow, although if I can choose I have a slight preference for Bock steel nibs because they tend to be very slightly springier, and I prefer a slightly softer touch.

I have no specific interest in just having a prittier/more costly nib, so if the gold Jowo are in fact somewhat softer this is a good

reason to attempt purchase, as I have not tried one jet.

It may be you prefer a stiffer nib because italic requires it?

I am also a customer of Pablo, although I have not tried his italics yet, what size are yours?, I tend not to like very broad stubs/italics, and usually I am not too fond of untipped nibs either.

Thank you

My

Thank you very much.

I have quite a number of pens with steel Jowo nibs, they are very good nibs, smooth, and with regular flow, although if I can choose I have a slight preference for Bock steel nibs because they tend to be very slightly springier, and I prefer a slightly softer touch.

I have no specific interest in just having a prittier/more costly nib, so if the gold Jowo are in fact somewhat softer this is a good

reason to attempt purchase, as I have not tried one jet.

It may be you prefer a stiffer nib because italic requires it?

I am also a customer of Pablo, although I have not tried his italics yet, what size are yours?, I tend not to like very broad stubs/italics, and usually I am not too fond of untipped nibs either.

Thank you

My italics are Mediums and Broads. Pablo did two (2) Medium Italics

for me and they are extremely nice. I mainly print and am a slow writer

so going back and forth from Steel to Gold does pose much of an issue.

And I agree with you, I basically no longer use untipped nibs.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, so the medium italics done by Pablo retain some tipping?

This is interesting as I m not fond of stubs/italics done just by cutting off the tip

Thanks

Thank you, so the medium italics done by Pablo retain some tipping?

This is interesting as I m not fond of stubs/italics done just by cutting off the tip

Thanks

I have several stub and italic grinds done by Pablo, as well as stub/italic grinds by a couple of other well known nibmeisters, and I can confirm that none of them were modified by completely cutting off the tipping material only grinding of the original tipping to achieve the desired writing effect.

I don't love the 18k JoWo nibs. found them a little mushy, but I did have one ground for hyperflex. For normal writing, it might have been much better

the 14k, with heavy customization, makes an incredible flex nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 weeks later...

@austinwft

Thank you sounds like what Im looking for

For a medium italic should I choose a medium to be ground? For a medium stub?

@Honeybudgers

Thank you for the comments but I am not looking for a pronounced flex, I dont usually engage in calligraphy, I use my pens for everyday writing (business use, notes, etc)

I like fast writing and a little give on my nibs to reduce fatigue. Calligraphy is not really an issue as mostly Im the only one reading my notes...

I usually experience steel nibs like Bock and Jowo as still a bit too stiff for my liking (other steel nibs are often stiffer, eg Jinhao ) whilst I like the softness springiness of 14k and 18k nibs (earlier Visconti, vintage Pelikans, Montblanc, Stipula, etc). Titanium far too mushy. Palladium usually ok.

I dont usually write script, if not all capital, otherwise cursive.

I dont use italics, but Im curious. Some stubs, but for line variation in cursive I do like smaller tip stubs. I have a F.C. medium stub that is very nice.

I will probably go for a medium stub in 14k from Pablo.

Thanks

I have both 14k and steel #6 Jowo cursive italics, with key breather holes, ground by Pablo. Both are nails. Titanium works for me.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have a few modern steel nibs, all rather stiff. The bigger size 6 feels better than the smaller 5. it helps to tune them wet and smooth. My modern Onoto nibs are 18k Jowo size 7 nibs. They are rather pleasant writers. Soft enough but less bouncy than say Montblanc Heritage 1912 nibs which are quite bouncy. I don't have titanium nibs to compare. Some day I will try it. I remember the Palladium nibs were soft on Visconti pens.