The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Spreading The Fountain Pen Gospel

pilot petit1 cursive recruitment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:34

While writing with fountain pens in my medical practice (an activity soon to cease, thanks to the U.S. Government), I often get comments from young patients, or the children of patients: "Gee, what a neat pen!" I decided to be prepared if a youngster shows a genuine interest by ordering ten Pilot Petit1 pens in various colors, along with accompanying cartridges--total cost about $50.

My first candidate was a 14-year-old football player whose mother was lamenting his lack of interest in his school work and his school's failure to teach cursive writing. Instead of the usual eye-rolling sneer that one gets from most teenage boys, I got the impression that this kid might be interested in improving himself. I sent him on his way with one of the Petit1s, after showing him how to load it, and gave his mother a note about Michael Sull's "American Cursive Handwriting" book.

Who knows? At worst, I'm out a few bucks, but the kid seemed grateful--it beats handing out Tootsie Roll pops or Mickey Mouse bandaids.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sponsored Content

#2 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:45

While writing with fountain pens in my medical practice (an activity soon to cease, thanks to the U.S. Government), I often get comments from young patients, or the children of patients: "Gee, what a neat pen!" I decided to be prepared if a youngster shows a genuine interest by ordering ten Pilot Petit1 pens in various colors, along with accompanying cartridges--total cost about $50.

My first candidate was a 14-year-old football player whose mother was lamenting his lack of interest in his school work and his school's failure to teach cursive writing. Instead of the usual eye-rolling sneer that one gets from most teenage boys, I got the impression that this kid might be interested in improving himself. I sent him on his way with one of the Petit1s, after showing him how to load it, and gave his mother a note about Michael Sull's "American Cursive Handwriting" book.

Who knows? At worst, I'm out a few bucks, but the kid seemed grateful--it beats handing out Tootsie Roll pops or Mickey Mouse bandaids.

Nice - thanks for sharing this! :)

#3 discopig

discopig

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:59

This is a pretty original and clever way to introduce people to fountain pens. I don't doubt you'll at least turn a few people on to them.

#4 bmillicent

bmillicent

Curious Cuddly Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:31

What a wonderful idea!  Even better (for me) that it is happening here in Cowtown :)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

#5 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:32

yeah thats great idea. What changes are the AMA implementing ?  Paperless documentation or something ?

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

#6 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Inksperimentrix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:28

It's nice to see generosity extended in the healthcare family. I actually started carrying a fountain pen at work because of the shift to digital--ePCRs had to be completed in ballpoint, whereas now that they're entirely done on (evil, heavy, work-destroying) tablets, I can confidently use an FP for the rest of my paperwork (narcotics logs, timesheets, etc.).

This is a Good ThingTM you are doing, Doc.

Pens: TWSBI Diamond 580-AL (M), TWSBI Eco (M)

Lamy Safari { Vista (M); Charcoal (M); Charcoal (1.1mm SI)},

Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness, Blue Poseidon Pearl, Clear Demo, King Philip Purple Demo)

Retro 51 Tornado EXT in Lincoln (copper) (M)

Inks: Noodler's: 54th Massachusetts, Apache Sunset, Red Black, BSiARIcelandic Minty Bathwater, Lexington Grey, Liberty's Elysium, Old Manhattan Blackest Black

"an' it harm none, | Primum Non Nocere | do what ye will."
l.png

#7 sarahfar

sarahfar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:39

very very nice..... all the best,

#8 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2014 - 22:52

You will find it more rewarding than selling the pen, with all the hassles.

Hike the Appalachian Trail.  Poke a hole in the dirt, and drop your apple core. 

Come by in a few years, and see what grows.  Planting a fountain pen seed 

can be interesting.

Well played.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, petit1, cursive, recruitment

Sponsored Content

|