Spreading The Fountain Pen Gospel

jmccarty3

While writing with fountain pens in my medical practice (an activity soon to cease, thanks to the U.S. Government), I often get comments from young patients, or the children of patients: "Gee, what a neat pen!" I decided to be prepared if a youngster shows a genuine interest by ordering ten Pilot Petit1 pens in various colors, along with accompanying cartridges--total cost about $50.

My first candidate was a 14-year-old football player whose mother was lamenting his lack of interest in his school work and his school's failure to teach cursive writing. Instead of the usual eye-rolling sneer that one gets from most teenage boys, I got the impression that this kid might be interested in improving himself. I sent him on his way with one of the Petit1s, after showing him how to load it, and gave his mother a note about Michael Sull's "American Cursive Handwriting" book.

Who knows? At worst, I'm out a few bucks, but the kid seemed grateful--it beats handing out Tootsie Roll pops or Mickey Mouse bandaids.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JLS1

• jmccarty3

• discopig

• bmillicent

Top Posters In This Topic

While writing with fountain pens in my medical practice (an activity soon to cease, thanks to the U.S. Government), I often get comments from young patients, or the children of patients: "Gee, what a neat pen!" I decided to be prepared if a youngster shows a genuine interest by ordering ten Pilot Petit1 pens in various colors, along with accompanying cartridges--total cost about $50.

My first candidate was a 14-year-old football player whose mother was lamenting his lack of interest in his school work and his school's failure to teach cursive writing. Instead of the usual eye-rolling sneer that one gets from most teenage boys, I got the impression that this kid might be interested in improving himself. I sent him on his way with one of the Petit1s, after showing him how to load it, and gave his mother a note about Michael Sull's "American Cursive Handwriting" book.

Who knows? At worst, I'm out a few bucks, but the kid seemed grateful--it beats handing out Tootsie Roll pops or Mickey Mouse bandaids.

Nice - thanks for sharing this! :)

This is a pretty original and clever way to introduce people to fountain pens. I don't doubt you'll at least turn a few people on to them.

What a wonderful idea! Even better (for me) that it is happening here in Cowtown :)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

yeah thats great idea. What changes are the AMA implementing ? Paperless documentation or something ?

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

It's nice to see generosity extended in the healthcare family. I actually started carrying a fountain pen at work because of the shift to digital--ePCRs had to be completed in ballpoint, whereas now that they're entirely done on (evil, heavy, work-destroying) tablets, I can confidently use an FP for the rest of my paperwork (narcotics logs, timesheets, etc.).

This is a Good ThingTM you are doing, Doc.

Girl Sam

(It used to be Sammi with a heart drawn over the I, but I stopped because absolutely everyone was doing it)

You will find it more rewarding than selling the pen, with all the hassles.

Hike the Appalachian Trail. Poke a hole in the dirt, and drop your apple core.

Come by in a few years, and see what grows. Planting a fountain pen seed

can be interesting.

Well played.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !