Are Fine Tip Nibs For Noobs

transcend

So I bought a TWSBI mini in EF this past Christmas. Never really took to it. Situational writer, I figured.

Well, I got around to using it a bit tonight in earnest and it's really impressive. I can fit 15 pages worth of "sloppy cool" broad print into one neat sophisticated looking single page with the EF. Even in tiny print I can barely see myself, my e's and o's aren't blotting. Sheesh, how am I not supposed to be impressed.

The thing with the broad is the ink. it's art over function. i love the ink flow. i love how it saturates page, in it's entirety.

But it's not a real writer.

soft fine is probably the best all around writer.

ignorance is bliss. i feel very sad.

Edited by transcend

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• transcend

• KBeezie

• ac12

• SockAddict

I started using fountain pens in 1957, was 8 years old in 4th grade under the tutelage of knuckle-cracking nuns in Catholic school. We started the year printing with the pens, but by mid-year began writing in cursive which we had started learning in 3rd grade with our pencils and Big Chief (pulp, rough paper) tablets. Using the ink, we had graduated to ink-friendly tablets and loose-leaf paper. At the beginning of our ink usage the school/Sisters had issued school supply instructions which I remember to be "...blue or black bottled ink, and a fountain pen with medium or broad nib..." We were being taught the Palmer method. I have used fountain pens ever since, except for those school and employment periods when ballpoints proved better able to put up with three and four sheet handwritten carbon copies. My preference changed to fountain pens (and ball points) with fine or extra-fine nibs because my natural cursive is small.

Up until about 5 years ago I was under the impression that the strictures of medium or broad nibs on fountain pens was just an arbitrary rule of the schools, but apparently there was reason behind this. In the penmanship section of this forum, there was a copy of an old Palmer Method manual that I was reading, and it was stated, in these or similar words, that it is recommended to use a broader nib rather than a fine or extra-fine because it is easier to see your mistakes in forming the letters and thus easier to correct them.

Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Mount Carmel orders, well I'll be damned if you weren't right again!

To those of us who prefer fine and extra- fine or needle-points, REJOICE!, for we can show that we are the mature writers and no longer newbies.

Just enjoy your pens, inks and papers and never stop experimenting.

Have fun, and will see you down the road.

so many posts here I would like to give upvotes for. none of them my own. thanks guys.

i still think there's something special about broads. something really special.

fines aren't for noobs at all.

for the record, declaring any singular size or type of nib as universally superior is the biggest noob statement of all.

long live the broads.

I started out when I was a noob with broad stubs because they felt buttery smooth even when used with ballpoint pen-like pressure. Over the years, I've learned to use a lighter touch, and have come to appreciate extra fine nibs in my every day writing.

Edited by cellmatrix

My broad is a Pelikan m605, with the unitone nib. I know no other broad.

The line is characterized as wet, and width, thicker than a Japanese double broad. Blotted e's are virtually unavoidable.

It's the sensation of the pen on my fingertips and elbow in particular, as it flows across my high end paper, that makes the writing experience so distinctive. Not the finished product. Broads are a writers pen, not a readers pen. It's an indulgence I can no longer live without.

Edited by transcend

edit: morning coffee post, tmi... here's a picture of an amazing pen:

fpn_1424102652__gk-1026.jpg

Danitrio Rokkaku Monyo

Edited by transcend

edit: morning coffee post, tmi... i'll post some nice pen pictures here soon.

Edited by transcend