Venlo "Portofino"

On a recent thread I mentioned that I was currently using a Venlo "Portofino" 5 pen storage/traveling case. For a history of Venlo, please see their website at www.venlocompany.com.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Venlo014.jpg

I purchased the Portofino mainly for school. When I have a full day of taking notes for several classes, I like a little variety. One pen is just never enough! At first, I began taking two pens with me in my shirt pocket. I like big pens, and have two of them in my pocket at the same time was a major bother, so I started looking for something different. I looked the small leather cases with the leather flap that goes over you pens, however, many of them would not fit my larger MB 149 or Danitrio (bigger and wider than the 149). I looked at the cases with elastic pen holders and zipper, and got worried about possible damage to my pens. Then I finally found the Venlo "Portofino".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Venlo017.jpg

This is an awesome pen storage/travel case. The outer leather is Italy's finest; buttery soft. The lining for the individual pens is soft suede. (I wish Venlo made a bed like this, how comfortable would it be to tuck yourself in being surround by suede?!! OK, that's a little weird, but one can dream, right?) The case provides ample room for even my largest pens and it's extremely sturdy, so I don't have to worry about the pens being tossed around in my backpack should I happen to drop it. I have complete peace of mind using the Portofino and that mean a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Venlo019.jpg

Now, for the down side; Websites sell the Portofino for as much as $229.00. This is definitely a luxury item and you’re paying for the Venlo name. I was able to purchase mine for $169.00 plus $26.00 for overnight shipping. (I just had to have it!) In all reality, this seems an absurd amount of money to pay for a 5 pen case. Though now, after using it for quite some time, I've really fallen for it. I love this case for it's usability, great feel and looks, and most of all for the peace of mind I have while lugging around what sometimes adds up to a couple grand in writing instruments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/Venlo022.jpg

So is it worth the price? I hesitate to answer that. It really depends on your personal situation. However, I will not hesitate to fully recommend this case should your personal circumstances permit. I love it!

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• zxc

• Roger

• StanSoph

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Bryan, that is nice. It is pricey, but you have to look at the lifetime of the product. Like a good leather handbag for a woman, your pen case will last you for many years, decades even. So there is good value in it even at the higher price point. :)

Never lie to your dog.

Leslie,

You know, I never thought of it that way before, (Comparison to a Women Handbag) They can easily cost more then the Portofino! :lol: I'm sure with the great construction of this item it will last at least my lifetime. :D

Thanks for the ammo should someone call me crazy for buying it!

Bryan

Excellent review, Bryan. It's definitely convinced me of being reasonable value for money, should you be able to afford it, of course.

And with a lady making that point in defence of this, it just makes buying it feel so much sweeter! :lol: (thanks, leslie ;) )

Bryan, how heavy is this case? It looks like it can test your back strength, but actually, since you carry it in your backpack, i guess it shouldn't be that heavy.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

With the pens as pictured above, the case weighs 1lb 2.6oz or 528g.

Compared to many of my text books, this thing is a light weight!

Bryan

It's so beautiful :o

I love the way it has that little bag over it, I wouldn't mind packing that in my school bag in the morning :lol:

Though at about £100 it is seriously pricey...but it has such class!

It's a shame that there's nothing budget with the same sort of design. I really don't like those little pocket things with space for two pens ¬_¬

Edited by zxc

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for that review! I love it (and the case too).

I have always found it a pity, drooling over it in pictures, that they didn't make a bigger size, say for 10 pens, or double drawer, for 20.

I know I would fall for a bigger one, yes. For now I still manage to hang on a little longer, as I don't see myself carrying four of these yet.

Oh, no, I gave myself an idea here... :D

Better log out quickly, and hide the credit card.. :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wow Bryan, that is nice. It is pricey, but you have to look at the lifetime of the product. Like a good leather handbag for a woman, your pen case will last you for many years, decades even. So there is good value in it even at the higher price point. :)

You bet! My wife is carrying a Coach handbag that is in excess of ten years old. Other than the scars that lend character to leather, it still looks great! :) That style is no longer made, but it matters not as it'll last as long as she does. :rolleyes:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

I have always found it a pity, drooling over it in pictures, that they didn't make a bigger size, say for 10 pens, or double drawer, for 20.

Better log out quickly, and hide the credit card..

Wilde Wraps aren't nearly as classy, but they do hold ~9 pens. I just bought a similar wrap, in black, that holds 17 pens from a girl found here:

http://www.laeom.com/PenStrokeStudioPenWrap.htm

Won't work, Wim. You have to give the card/s to momma and let her hide it/them! :lol:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

• 7 months later...

My mother buys many used Coach purses. I have come to learn that a good quality product can last decades, with minor dye jobs and some mink oil. I can also, oddly, determine pretty accurately if a Coach purse is real or not.

I don't like the new Coach designs. They are trendy, and don't last. Leather is better.

I hope some day to be able to have one of those pen cases - trés pratique. I will in the future take a picture of my pen-case.

Edited by J. John Harvey

Bryan, if you don't mind, could you mention where you found the Portofino for $169?

TIA

Ryan.

I bought mine from the Fountain Pen Hospital. They don't show it on their website, but do carry this item.

Bryan

Since this review has been bumped up, I just want to add that the Portifino is wearing wonderfully. I take it everywhere with me in my back pack where it is continuously being jostled around, yet it still looks great and has been very protective of my writing instruments!

This is really a great pen case.

Bryan

• 9 months later...

I have to have one of those things, stat.

Is there a way we could find a retailer that would give us a deal on a "Group Buy"?

Would we need a lot of people?

Overachieving Underachiever

All posts edited by my dog

Too rich for my blood--I'd have to buy more expensive pens to use it! I made my own case, sewn out of soft cloth.

However, there are obviously people on here with more money to blow than I have!

• 13 years later...

Thank goodness for the ability to bring 15 year old threads back from the dead. I'm having a bit of "over-run" with my 24 pen holder and for some time have been seeking a real nice travel case for a handful of pens, but more than 3. I'm still kicking myself that I lost out on a beautiful 12-pen leather Visconti case a few weeks back, so now I'm paying much more to get the very nice Portofino 5-pen case by Venlo. Why this thread is important is I found a used, but excellent condition Portofino case at an auction site at a very fair price, but had some concern that the current-day cases don't have a Venlo logo... but what I just purchased does. I'm glad to find this thread that validates such a logo was used in prior years... looks exactly like what I got.

Just my luck that my current over-run is 4 pens and this is a 5 pen case. What will I ever do with that last open slot?