Parker 51 Aerometric C 1949

MSA

I have one perfectly restored example sold to me by Michael Mcneil about 5 years ago. It is burgundy in color and has a marking "Made in USA 9". The pen writes great.

For some odd reason the Cap says "Made in Canada" and the filler says "Made in USA". Is this normal or this is simply a mismatched cap. Were 51's made in Canada ?

Even if is a franken pen....I still love writing with it.

I will appreciate some help.

Thank you

Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• Matlock

• MSA

• daffie

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pen might have been assembled in Canada of USA made and Canadian parts.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have also seen the same in English made aerometrics, and speculated that the metal parts were made in the US and shipped to factories in Canada and England.

Yes , I have seen some P 51s with 'Made in Canada' on the cap but not a single 51 filler which would say 'Made in Canada'. Perhaps they are all 'Made in USA'. I have seen ,however , squeeze fillers used in P 45s and other later model Parkers that say 'Made in Japan' and are fitted in pens that say Made in USA , England / UK. Did they also make Parker parts in Japan and did they use these parts in pens made in USA and England/UK?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I would suspect the cap was switched. It is not anything to worry about.

Farmboy.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Your pen might have been assembled in Canada of USA made and Canadian parts.

Pens assembled in Canada usualy have a T preceding the date code, i.e. T9. It is quite common to have a mix of parts, I have a 1941 Vacumatic 51 with a Sterling Silver cap marked Made in Canada. This could have been due to shortage of parts in those troubled times or, more likely, the result of a repair/replacement. It is so long ago we are never likely to find the true reason, its just part of the history of a great pen.

Peter

I've seen T6 and T7 but not a T9 (or a T8). Would like a chance at it if it is for sale. For the uninitiated, these date stamps appear on single jewel pens and are clearly marked Made in USA. I'm not near the notes but there is a distinct pattern to the colors that turn up on a regular basis as well.

The T most likely means that the barrel was made in the Toronto plant and the rest of the pen was made and assembled in Janseville. It is a complicated story that lacks documentation that would be found in the Parker Archive if one could gain access to the files.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think you are correct, FarmBoy. There are known examples of "Made in USA T7" and "Made in Canada 7" and it would seem that that was the last year that assembly (with USA parts) took place in Toronto, after that pens were actually made in Canada. So it would seem to bring us back to a replacement cap. I believe that Aerometrics were made in Canada rather than assembled there.

I wonder what is the present location of the Parker Archive?

Peter

I have a pen like the original post.

I am not sure the cap of mine is a replacement, the cap is marked 'Made in Canada', but the nib is also Canadian made. Only the aerometric filler is marked 'Made in USA'.

Isn't it possible that the factory in Canada made 51's with fillers from the factory in USA?

I think you are correct, FarmBoy. There are known examples of "Made in USA T7" and "Made in Canada 7" and it would seem that that was the last year that assembly (with USA parts) took place in Toronto, after that pens were actually made in Canada. So it would seem to bring us back to a replacement cap. I believe that Aerometrics were made in Canada rather than assembled there.

I wonder what is the present location of the Parker Archive?

I believe the 51 Book has it wrong and the T indicated a barrel made in Canada and all other parts made and assembled in the US. It is likely that Janesville didn't have capacity to make 51 barrels due to other projects.

Believe the Archive is in France under lock and key.

I believe the 51 Book has it wrong and the T indicated a barrel made in Canada and all other parts made and assembled in the US. It is likely that Janesville didn't have capacity to make 51 barrels due to other projects.

Believe the Archive is in France under lock and key.

Could be but there are a lot of 51s, of that era, about marked made in USA without the T. I guess that until someone gets hold of that key we can only surmise. Remember that David Shepherd was given access to the Parker Archives, by Dave Ruderman, when he wrote the 51 book.

Peter