The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dublin - Super5

super 5 rohrer & klingner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:59

Like most people I like novelties, especially when it comes to inks and fountain pens. You know - I've been looking for grail ink for three years and there's always chance it's still ahead of me   :)

When I came across Super5 inks mention on Goulet's site, I thought the bottles looked cool and - in a way - familiar.

super5-ink-group-720x340.jpg

The names of cities were cool as well. Colors looked really nice on swabs. My dear friend google helped me to investigate.

Super5 inks are sold by Format-Darmstadt GmbH on papierlabor.de site. The company offers also calligraphy pen and converter and some papers.

The inks are made by my second favourite ink maker - Rohrer & KlingnerCheck their "regular" inks here.

That's good news. Really. They know what they're doing and you can expect good quality from R&K. The quality they indeed deliver.

So why Super5 inks are much more expensive than R&K inks. First of all - they're pigmented (I believe), then there need to be some margin for the distributor. At 20 euros / bottle yhey're not cheap. However unlike Caran d'Ache or Iroshizuku they offer not only more than satisfying quality, good flow and good lubrication but also added value of waterproofness and lightfastness. 

Last week I was given the whole set. I'm going to review it and post comparison of the full line. Soon. 

The colors are really great. Honestly. They're also extremely waterproof.

I've already reviewed Australia and Delhi, check them.

Today is Dublin's day.

xrwxrE.jpg

GacEaW.jpg

dzg5Sp.jpg

Ink splash

Mondi 120 g

idFGjA.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

wS3tpq.jpg

Software ID

b6lFgw.jpg

Color Range

wYAkuG.jpg

Oxford recycled, 90 g - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper mode,B

xJIj9w.jpg

kqLFIk.jpg

XI9bXK.jpg

lRCOo7.jpg

Rhodia

jOLw9L.jpg

Rhodia after five minutes of soaking in the water

ic7qNu.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:09

This one is nice!

#3 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:58

Nice ink, clearly modelled on the river LIffey's distinctive gunge. But I actually do like it.

#4 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 14:27

I'm interested to know how the colour of this ink compares to R&K Alt Goldgrun?  It doesn't look a million miles away to me...  And that'd be a great colour to have in a waterproof formulation!

Edited by Jamerelbe, 22 December 2014 - 14:31.

#5 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 14:35

I KNEW I was going to LOOOVE this one...    :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:  :puddle:

You are killing me Vis...  I'll trade you a nice cat.. .(You like cats don't you??... let me just go down the street and find one...  :P)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#6 FP_Ink_Geek

FP_Ink_Geek

Ambrose

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 15:13

I was iffy on the inks when I first saw them but this does look like a nice green. Thanks for the review

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

#7 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 3,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 18:44

From the land of a thousand shades of green....  Nice review, as always.

What/who is you favorite ink maker, if R&K is number 2 on your list?

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#8 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 20:50

SYdcbs.jpg

@CYber - I'll give it a thought :)

@Sinistral - well there are four ink makers I really, really like: Sailor, Rohrer & Klingner, Graf von Faber-Castell, L'Artisan Pastellier. I enjoy Iroshizuku as well. I could live without Diamine. I would say Sailor makes best inks (to my taste in colors and properties).

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2014 - 23:34

I saw the color - murky greens - I know which of you like murky greens!  Thank you for the great review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#10 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:41

SYdcbs.jpg

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison - much appreciated!  [I think I like Alt-Goldgrun better...]

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:28

Interesting color.  Thanks for the review.

I had seen the Super 5 inks advertised but knew nothing about them beyond that.  So you say they're made by R&K?  Good to know.  The only ones I've tried are Salix and Scabiosa, so I'm definitely going to have to investigate further (I wasn't sure whether I would like Alt-Goldgrun because I was worried that it would be insufficiently legible), and Dublin looks to be a darker shade with less yellow (and also, at least from the swabs, more saturated).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: super 5, rohrer & klingner

Sponsored Content

|