The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan Bb, 3B And Oblique Discontinuation?!

pelikan bb 3b stub om ob obb o3b oblique double

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sach

Sach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 17:45

I started a thread here last year about Pelikan stopping the production of these nibs.

The Pelikan website continues to display these nibs as options and has a whole section (pun intended) dedicated to "selecting the correct nib", with these nibs being options to choose from.

Was reading a thread the other day, in which a post from a reliable German member stated that Pelikan may be considering a U-turn on this decision. 

Any news on this?

Sponsored Content

#2 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 17:53

Pelikan's selling point was its interchangable nibs and the range of nibs it offered. Maybe they have received much feedback about people wanting these nibs, thus the U-turn.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance
Epic... that's Lord Epic to you, or LE for short.   :P

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#3 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 18:28

I'm a 3B lover, so it would be nice not to have to leave the brand.

#4 dornblaser

dornblaser

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 20:28

It seems to me to be too long to still be selling out existing inventory; here is to hoping that Pelikan reversed themselves.  Of course, this question could also be asked directly to Pelikan or one of their distributors.  

#5 MarkTrain

MarkTrain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 21:30

While it would be nice to bring back these nibs, the big problem was that they were round and "bloby" and that to make them write with any character you needed to have them stubed. Because of this nobody was buying them or if they did they ended up returning them. If they brought back these nibs they would also need to have them ground as they were in back in the 80's.

Edited by MarkTrain, 21 December 2014 - 21:31.

#6 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 21:43

Bringing back the grind from the 80's would be amazing but I won't hold my breath. Still, fun to dream.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#7 dornblaser

dornblaser

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 21:44

While it would be nice to bring back these nibs, the big problem was that they were round and "bloby" and that to make them write with any character you needed to have them stubed. Because of this nobody was buying them or if they did they ended up returning them. If they brought back these nibs they would also need to have them ground as they were in back in the 80's.

Yes, but we at least need the nibs to be stubbed, etc.,

#8 Sach

Sach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 22:45

Yes, but we at least need the nibs to be stubbed, etc.,

Precisely..
We still need the "blob end" as a canvas to begin with. They were just such great nibs as starting points, without the need to have expensive re-tipping performed to make them exciting.

Thanks for everyone offering info here, but I'm more interested to know if anyone has heard from Pelikan that they are indeed going to continue offering these nibs..

#9 risingsun

risingsun

Collector Mentality

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 23:02

Best bet is to get a dealer to inquire and report back here...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

#10 360

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 23:45

i have been stockpiling m800 and m1000 3b and o3b nibs since this news dropped - anybody else?

all of my recent interactions with rolf and r. martini gave me the impression that their supplies of these nibs were indeed dwindling...

also, i picked up an m800 and m1000 from mr. mottishaw last month - both 3ob - and he was still under the impression that pelikan was NOT making these anymore. he did confirm that his supplies of these nibs were very limited.

of course, it would be great to confirm one way or the other with pelikan!

#11 360

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:21

i did reach out to chartpak (pelikan's us distributor) - according to them pelikan germany has stopped making them. so i guess that means there are no new plans to turn the big nib machines back on? anyone have any other info?

#12 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2014 - 17:35

The Writing Desk in the UK states: 

"As of late 2012 Pelikan has discontinued extra-broad (BB and 3B) and oblique (OM, OB, OBB and O3B) nib sizes from its ranges"

Peter

#13 scratchofapen

scratchofapen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:56

Iirc there is a nib grinding servise to what ever you wish at the Hanover plant, but only there and if you buy the nib at this occasion.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, bb, 3b, stub, om, ob, obb, o3b, oblique, double

Sponsored Content

|