The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Delhi - Super 5

super 5 rohrer&klingner kaweco

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 21:42

Like most people I like novelties, especially when it comes to inks and fountain pens. You know - I've been looking for grail ink for three years and there's always chance it's still ahead of me :)

When I came across Super 5 inks mention on Goulet's site, I thought the bottles looked cool and - in a way - familiar.

super5-ink-group-720x340.jpg

The names of cities were cool as well. Colors looked really nice on swabs. My dear friend google helped me to investigate.

Super 5 inks are sold by Format-Darmstadt GmbH on papierlabor.de site. The company offers also calligraphy pen and converter and some papers.

This week I was given the whole set. I'm going to review it and post comparison of the full line. Soon. 

The colors are really great. Honestly. They're also extremely waterproof. Delhi is the only orange I know (well there used to be Royal Aztec and Sun Never Sets by Suisher's but they're mno longer available) that doesn't loose color after being soaked in the water. And that's awesome for orange fan. 

First ink to review will be Delhi. Great ink. Great color. Great shading. Waterproof.

Let's take a look at the bottle:

MT9LGY.jpg

I believe many of you are thrilled to know there's new ink maker on the market offering great waterproof inks. Well, the thing is, there isn't.

B)

Take a look at the other side of the bottle.

7MwIrK.jpg

Yes - the ink is made by my second favourite ink maker - Rohrer & Klingner. Check their "regular" inks here.

That's good news. Really. They know what they're doing and you can expect good quality from R&K. The quality they indeed deliver.

So why Super5 inks are much more expensive than R&K inks. First of all - they're pigmented (I believe), then there need to be some margin for the distributor. At 20 euros / bottle yhey're not cheap. However unlike Caran d'Ache or Iroshizuku they offer not only more than satisfying quality, good flow and good lubrication but also added value of waterproofness and lightfastness. 

Let's take a look at Delhi.

Abstract Expressionism (a.k.a. ink splash) on Mondi 120 g paper

OquJg1.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

EZggwB.jpg

Software ID

mjAx6y.jpg

Color Range

4UJRtE.jpg

Oxford recycled, 90 g - Kaweco Sport Classic, eyedropper mode, Broad nib

XNfyCa.jpg

s3UukO.jpg

gEVzaz.jpg

8FG0e0.jpg

Rhodia

tPc5UO.jpg

Rhodia in the water on the photo after five minutes of soaking

lm0J3C.jpg

I do advice to check at least the sample of this ink. I'm impressed and although I like most of inks I'm not often impressed by them and their properties. This is good stuff. Pricey but good.

Edited by visvamitra, 20 December 2014 - 21:44.

Sponsored Content

#2 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,555 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 22:07

Thanks for the review. BTW, are you a former resident of Delhi?

#3 bstnnyc

bstnnyc

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:02

Thank you for the review! I love the shading and that this isn't an in your face bright orange. I've never tried a pigmented ink before so maybe this will be the first. (Just checked the goulet technical specs and you are correct; it is indeed pigmented.) Will add a sample to the next order :)

#4 tinysnail

tinysnail

math & pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:15

What a great orange. I'm real impressed by the waterproofness. Another awesome review :)

#5 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2014 - 23:45

I love your Yoga figurine Vis....

But the price....  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: ...  is like Japanese ink all over again...  :( :(

I am sure I am going to like Dublin ... Delhi looks nice too...  :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#6 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 00:47

Made by R&K? Now I want them!

#7 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:26

@wolverine1 - unhappily I've never even been to India :) However while writing reviews I try to look for texts in different languages, even these I don't know (as german or hindi). You can treat it like lorem ipsum bla, bla, bla :) The meaning is not important, the color and properties are.

I guess I have to invent a language of my own, so that I don't have to make two reviews - one for polish forum, one for FPN. For instance using different languages, peoems, prose, quotes makes the deal :)

Edited by visvamitra, 21 December 2014 - 07:28.

#8 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:41

Beautiful. Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#9 Taiin

Taiin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2016 - 20:16

I am bumping this up! I was on the hunt for an orange ink, as I own no orange inks. This review is what settled it, I'm in love! I ordered a bottle and eagerly await the delivery!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: super 5, rohrer&klingner, kaweco

Sponsored Content

|