The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Converting To Eyedropper...

hero eyedropper eyedropper conversion 329 ink

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 phillieskjk

phillieskjk

Drowning in Impulse Buys

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 21:51

I have a Hero 329 (New Version- Not Star Trek).  I love it.  It always writes smoothly, it has never broken, I love the design (It's a Parker "51" clone) and it was 1 USD!  I only have one issue with it.  The ink sac is TINY!  So, I want to increase the ink capacity by turning it into an eyedropper.  I was planning to cut off the sack (it cannot be removed otherwise) and then proceed as if it was a cartridge pen.  My only concern is the screw at the bottom of the pen.  If I seal that screw with silicone grease as well, will it be watertight?  Will there be any negative effect on the ink if it is in direct contact with the grease?  I am not afraid of breaking the pen (since it was only a dollar) but I don't want it to leak all over. 

Thanks,

Phillieskjk

Edited by phillieskjk, 18 December 2014 - 21:52.

Check out more of my reviews at my website

Sponsored Content

#2 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 23:44

I would use silicon gasket rather than grease. Once set the ink will not have any effect on it.

#3 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:47

+1. Silicone RTV, sealant, glue, whatever you want to call the stuff, it will do the job. But how coarse or tight are the barrel threads? If the fit there is sloppy, you will have to keep it heavily greased. Then there's the time you forget you converted it to eyedropper...

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:15

I am a coward.  I don't use eyedropper pens.  My suggestion >>> Learn to love the ritual of filling 

your fountain pen.   

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:28

A tiny capacity means you get to change colors frequently. 

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#6 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:31

I have regretted to some degree or other, most ED conversions I have ever done, not that some of them didn't  work out swimmingly.  I don't share the attraction of large ink capacity myself, as I like the ritual of filling, and as Fabienne points out, the pleasure of changing ink colors.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#7 phillieskjk

phillieskjk

Drowning in Impulse Buys

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:52

I do enjoy filling my pens, and I have several that I fill frequently, but I use the Hero for school and quick notetaking, so when it runs out of ink mid-day I can't refill it and am forced to switch to a... dare I say... ballpoint.

Check out more of my reviews at my website

#8 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:20

Carry an ink vial with spare ink... Easy to fill from, too. I've opened a pen I'd forgotten I had converted, and was lucky it was no longer even half full, but it was still enough of a mess... Now I no longer convert pens to ED - I only use them as such if they either were eyedroppers to begin with, or there is no other way - no converter, no cartridge - to fill it. (I do have a few of those, too...)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hero, eyedropper, eyedropper conversion, 329, ink

Sponsored Content

|