Industrial Quality Fountain Pen

Sky Fountain Pens

Take a look at Conidpens

Made with industrial precision and best materials like POM , PC and the most durable filling system on the market!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pankaj

• icevic

• Bo Bo Olson

• byggyns

??

Makrolon in that application is likely just as tough and durable as aluminum, probably a good deal less likely to dent permanently.

I work in a welding shop around hot steel, gouging, cutting and grinding, I carry a Lamy Alstar as the pen I use everyday to fill out my paperwork. And I'll vouch for the Alstar over the Lamy 2000 if your in a place where you have high heat around you. it's easier to replace a z24 converter that got melted through due to an errant spark then a Lamy 2000 that got punctured by that same spark. If your looking for a pen for an industrial environment you have to factor in 2 aspect, the durability, (which both pens have in their own right) and the cost to replace when something bad does happen to it. I've learned a few things in my field of work, and one of the biggest lessons new workers learn is that if there is if it can land on it, molten metal will find a way to catch the worst possible thing on fire.

You commit yourself to such a level where there is no compromise. You give everything you have, everything, absolutely everything. - Senna

I want to convey the fine line between passion and violence. I've got so much wickedness and sin, No, it wont be long until your break, Because I'm evil - Bat for Lashes

I think your best bet is a Kaweco AL Sport. They are very ruggedly built and there's almost nothing to break but the nib. You could even get the "stonewash" version if you want to go straight to the beat-up look!

This.

I have a black one and despite having carried it around in a pocket with my keys for months I'm still waiting for it to acquire the famed patina.

You probably have a few routes available to you based on your specific needs.

The Al-Star, Safari, or 2k from Lamy are all recommended above and are well-regarded pens. They are durable, faithful writers, and have some user-replaceable parts in the event of damage. They are great choices depending on your specific applications.

The next route would be to buy nicer-looking pens at budget prices. You will find many advocates for the Chinese manufactures who will sell you a dozen replicas of good pens for less than $20. You will probably have to work on the nibs or spend time finding one that meets your expectations in your purchase.

You could go a slightly different route and go with the cheap pen option like the Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy. I prefer the Preppy because you can easily swap out inks instead of pliers for the Varsity. The cost for these options is extremely low, they are quickly and easily replaceable, and they have surprisingly good writing qualities for their cost. I have no problem throwing a Preppy with Platinum nano ink (blue or black) into a bag and carry it anywhere to write on nearly every kind of bad paper. Heck, you won't even feel bad if you had to press firmly for carbon copies.

If you had a idea for a classic, then a Flighter-style pen could definitely do you well. Like the Lamy 2k, you are going to spend a bit more and might have a few more problems losing one, damaging, or destroying one of these pens.

Buzz

Rotring 600 if you also need to hammer home nails with something.

definitely the Rotring 600 with Black Knurled Finish. It's a classic design, and will hold it's value longer than some of the new metal pens.

FWIW, my pocket edc consists of three small writing instruments, all of which fit in a Kaweco two-pen leather slip together:

• Pilot MU-90 fp. This thing is small, stainless steel construction; nib is literally part of the barrel. Never fails to start -- unless of course I run short of ink :)
  • Fisher Space pen 'bullet', chrome finish bp. actually somewhat smaller both in length and girth from the Pilot. Those space pens just keep going and going and going...
  • a vintage 1920's era very petite mp, I think it is a 'Morris', which was a 'bonus' gift on a purchase I made with Peyton Street Pens (thanks Teri!); uses 1.1 mm lead

This little leather slip case with all three in it together takes less space in my pocket than a typical Swiss Army knife -- also part of my edc

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

The Platinum Plaisir is a aluminum-bodied Preppy that is durable and the cap seals out air so the nib never dries out. Very innovative for such a cheap pen.

The Pilot Vanishing Point is all metal and has no cap to lose. It doesn't take well to being dropped though as it will dent and both ends can be damaged by a drop.

Kwaeco Sport is very durable and fits in any pocket. The screw-on lid means it won't fly off if dropped or come unscrewed in a pocket.

ABS plastic is probably the best material in an industrial setting: it is light, tough, and doesn't deform. The Lamy Safari is a perfect example.

But every fountain pen nib is fragile when compared to a ballpoint or rollerball, so in that sense there are no industrial strength fountain pens.