The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Adding Glitter To Fp Inks?

glitter ink mixing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Inksperimentrix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17

Hey guys. I'm almost through my sample of 1670 Stormy Gray, and am absolutely in love with both the base color and the glitter factor. It lead me to wondering.... are there any fine enough glitters that we could add it to bottled ink and get that kind of sheen/shine effect, without destroying pens?

Imagine a lovely blue with a silver glitter, or a yellow with green... Has anyone tried? I know there's been some discussion for dip pens, but clearly J Herbin found a way to make glitter FP-friendly.....

Pens: TWSBI Diamond 580-AL (M), TWSBI Eco (M)

Lamy Safari { Vista (M); Charcoal (M); Charcoal (1.1mm SI)},

Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness, Blue Poseidon Pearl, Clear Demo, King Philip Purple Demo)

Retro 51 Tornado EXT in Lincoln (copper) (M)

Inks: Noodler's: 54th Massachusetts, Apache Sunset, Red Black, BSiARIcelandic Minty Bathwater, Lexington Grey, Liberty's Elysium, Old Manhattan Blackest Black

"an' it harm none, | Primum Non Nocere | do what ye will."
l.png

Sponsored Content

#2 TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:21

I started a thread on using gold luster dust. It's available in over 20 colors. There's one or two other threads around FPN.

#3 FP_Ink_Geek

FP_Ink_Geek

Ambrose

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:17

I saw on /r/fountainpens (reddit) where someone added metallic paint powder to 54th Mass and it turned out extremely well. The website he bought the stuff from has tones of different powders that could be added to an assorted ink. Here are his results along with the post on reddit and the site you can buy the powder from. 

http://www.reddit.co...fo_in_comments/

http://www.metallicm...powder_s/25.htm

stormy seas.jpg

I am the artist formally known as Ambrose Bierce (I recently changed my username from that). If you love me you'll check out my blog http://fpinkgeek.blogspot.com/ or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @Fp_Ink_Geek :D

#4 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:50

I do wonder about the feed.

I have a bottle of Stormy Gray and so far I'm disliking it as it just deposited a ton of sparkles in the feed channel.

#Nope

#5 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:57

I wouldn't use it with anything but a dip nib, or maybe a Noodler's pen that's easy to pull apart and clean the channels out.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#6 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:18

I wouldn't use it with anything but a dip nib, or maybe a Noodler's pen that's easy to pull apart and clean the channels out.

Depends on the glitter. If some way we can normally buy nano particle sized glitter making ink should be fine(?) after all there are those pigment inks.

#Nope

#7 Miz Black Crow

Miz Black Crow

Inksperimentrix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:23

ScubaSteve, thank you for the link! I've been staring at it since I got home.

AmbroseBierce,  :puddle: ! I love 54th Mass, and silver, and the two together make my heart hurt with want. Thank you for that link!

IcyWolfe, I actually just washed Stormy Gray out of my Ahab (heresy, I know, but I had very good reasons... minty reasons). It cleaned out easily with no problem, with a regular soapy-water flush followed by a fresh-water rinse (about a dozen fill/discharge cycles each). Didn't have clogging problems or anything at all. It seems to be pretty safe. The sparkles deposit in the feed, but the ink flows very well regardless. I would check the thread ScubaSteve linked to with regards to safety. Assuming you get the right stuff, it appears to be non-harmful to pens and nibs.

Pens: TWSBI Diamond 580-AL (M), TWSBI Eco (M)

Lamy Safari { Vista (M); Charcoal (M); Charcoal (1.1mm SI)},

Noodler's Ahab (Cardinal Darkness, Blue Poseidon Pearl, Clear Demo, King Philip Purple Demo)

Retro 51 Tornado EXT in Lincoln (copper) (M)

Inks: Noodler's: 54th Massachusetts, Apache Sunset, Red Black, BSiARIcelandic Minty Bathwater, Lexington Grey, Liberty's Elysium, Old Manhattan Blackest Black

"an' it harm none, | Primum Non Nocere | do what ye will."
l.png

#8 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:35

IcyWolfe, I actually just washed Stormy Gray out of my Ahab (heresy, I know, but I had very good reasons... minty reasons). It cleaned out easily with no problem, with a regular soapy-water flush followed by a fresh-water rinse (about a dozen fill/discharge cycles each). Didn't have clogging problems or anything at all. It seems to be pretty safe. The sparkles deposit in the feed, but the ink flows very well regardless. I would check the thread ScubaSteve linked to with regards to safety. Assuming you get the right stuff, it appears to be non-harmful to pens and nibs.

I just have my pen inked up. I looked it with a flash light and I noticed that. I have USC that that clean anything.

#Nope

#9 BoBoJones

BoBoJones

Burn Before Reading

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2014 - 21:21

If one of these inks hosed down a feed, you could likely get a replacement feed for a modern pen.  It seems worth it to find something that will delight you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glitter, ink mixing

Sponsored Content

|