Recommend Me A Pen!

FrostyToast

I have been using my Pilot Elite 95s for a while now and I absolutely love it, but I think it's time to kill my wallet again.

The main problem with me not being able to find a pen that I like is that I have fairly specific tastes and it's hard to satisfy them when I don't have a million dollars.

My requirements/preferences are as follows:

-must be <$300. Preferably I want something that is <$200, but I want to expand my horizons just to see if there is anything that absolutely blows me away.

-relatively fine italic nib, maybe 1.1mm (I have been using a fine nib on my Pilot and I want some more interesting lines while not getting too thick)

-Blue with gold trim (or alternatively white with blue accents and gold trim) I like the classy look of the burgundy/gold/white of my current driver but I want something more colourful and fun this time around.

-Average or above average length. I like having my pens slim/sleek and noticeably longer than they are thick. I personally don't like fat pens.

-Must be able to post it. I hate the fear of dropping or misplacing my cap. It also increases the length of the pen which I like.

That should pretty much exhaust my preferences. I'll just leave it at that as I would like to see as many options as possible!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrostyToast

• Davros

• Diderot

• Barnaby Bumble

Top Posters In This Topic

Pilot VP blue with gold trimming, maybe with a customized nib:

http://www.penchalet.com/images/products/enlarge/10531-BlueGold.jpg

Pilot VP blue with gold trimming, maybe with a customized nib:

I wonder how much getting a custom nib will cost for that.

Although if I can make that happen, the VP is a cool option.

My requirements/preferences are as follows:

-must be <$300. Preferably I want something that is <$200, but I want to expand my horizons just to see if there is anything that absolutely blows me away.

-relatively fine italic nib, maybe 1.1mm (I have been using a fine nib on my Pilot and I want some more interesting lines while not getting too thick)

-Blue with gold trim (or alternatively white with blue accents and gold trim) I like the classy look of the burgundy/gold/white of my current driver but I want something more colourful and fun this time around.

-Average or above average length. I like having my pens slim/sleek and noticeably longer than they are thick. I personally don't like fat pens.

-Must be able to post it. I hate the fear of dropping or misplacing my cap. It also increases the length of the pen which I like.

Platinum Century 3776:

$176 at nibs.com where you can have John M. turn a broad (or medium) into a cursive italic for an additional $40. (I wouldn't consider 1.1 to be fine. To me, a fine italic is about 0.4-0.6 mm)

Or you can cheap out and get the pen from Japan for $100 and then send it out to a nibmeister separately. (But then you're paying for shipping, waiting weeks or months for turn around time, etc.)

It's blue with gold trim.

Average length... Maybe a slight bit smaller than average, whatever that is. Smaller than Pelikan M800 or TWSBI 580, which are on the large side.

It posts. I write with it posted all the time. The nib has a very similar writing quality to the Nakaya nibs, as they are related companies.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Platinum/platinum-century-chartres-blue-uncapped.jpg

Platinum Century 3776:

$176 at nibs.com where you can have John M. turn a broad (or medium) into a cursive italic for an additional $40. (I wouldn't consider 1.1 to be fine. To me, a fine italic is about 0.4-0.6 mm)

Or you can cheap out and get the pen from Japan for $100 and then send it out to a nibmeister separately. (But then you're paying for shipping, waiting weeks or months for turn around time, etc.)

It's blue with gold trim.

Average length... Maybe a slight bit smaller than average, whatever that is. Smaller than Pelikan M800 or TWSBI 580, which are on the large side.

It posts. I write with it posted all the time. The nib has a very similar writing quality to the Nakaya nibs, as they are related companies.

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Platinum/platinum-century-chartres-blue-uncapped.jpg

I absolutely love the blue on this one!

I would prefer something longer, but this is still fairly good and on the borderline of what is within my preferences.

Anyone know where the heck I can find this one?

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountain_img/PAF-5000A/PAF-5000A_56_440.jpg

I believe it is out of production and I can't find this anywhere.

No personal experience with the 3776, but have heard good things and that color is gorgeous. I usually lean to the red end of the spectrum when going outside of black/silver type colors, but have two with green.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Dunno about that one, but it reminded me of the Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe:

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Aurora/aurora-ipsilon-de-luxe-blue-capped.jpg

It sells for $220 at nibs.com. You can probably get it for less, elsewhere, but if you get it there John Mottishaw will do pretty much whatever you want to the nib before shipping it to you. Plus, Aurora nibs are interchangeable.

I have an Ipsilon Metal, and enthusiastically endorse it.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

That is the price point I go to custom. Renée at Scriptorium has always done really great work, and has a lot of flexibility (and patience) to get you exactly what you want. I prefer posted pens too, and the balance is always good either way if you tell her what you like.

That is the price point I go to custom. Renée at Scriptorium has always done really great work, and has a lot of flexibility (and patience) to get you exactly what you want. I prefer posted pens too, and the balance is always good either way if you tell her what you like.

This is actually a fantastic option!

What is the average price point of these pens?

If it's around $200 then that is perfect.

The 3776 is a very good value and good writer if you like a nib with some feedback. They're a little slim and short for my tastes - I graduated to a President and sold my 3776 a couple of years back. While I was using it, it was a very reliable pen with no issues.

The vanishing point is a good choice as well. Very practical as a pen to be carried around and used for business meetings where one is intermittently taking notes. It eliminates the attention getting practice of capping and uncapping one's pen all through a meeting. However, at least for me, it is too small for extended writing sessions.

If you like long, slim and really eye-catching fountain pens, an Edison extended length Minna might be your ticket. It is 6" long capped and the msrp is $200 with steel nib or $300 with gold. It is also a hand made pen and will likely be better made than any production pen. You can order it in pretty much any color you want. I have an Edison, albeit not a Minna, and it is a terrific fountain pen. This would be my choice. It should be noted, however, that this pen is NOT postable. But, such a small compromise for art. :P

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/The-Extended-Mina/i-pGMzJTq/0/O/IMG_2264.jpg

Edited by PatientType

Thanks for the suggestion, PatientType!

That pen does look really sleek, however posting the pen is an absolute requirement for me.

Most of the other things I have listed are really just preferences, however posting is something I can't live without.

Hi,

For Blue pens, please see this Topic: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279990-help-choosing-a-blueblack-fp/?p=3205042

Kindly consider the Sailor 1911M. It might not fall into the 'slim' category, but it is just short enough that it is still fairly well balanced when the cap is posted - it doesn't 'wag'. The MS nib can be hand ground to the shape and width you desire; and I believe that the MS nib can be ground in ways that other wide nibs cannot. (?)

At that price-point and nib width, I reckon a good quality pen with a custom nib may well blow you away. (Cost ratio: pen 60%, nib 40% [gold+hand-grind].)

As to nib width, I have a fairly expansive natural hand and prefer nibs that generate a line no wider than 1.1mm on the sheet. I use a Parker with an M grade nib as my daily writer at the office, and if I were to use a Stub / CI shape as a daily writer, I'd choose a width from 0.6 - 0.9mm.

(My Ink Reviews are done-up with various nib widths and the same hand, so those might give you some insight into the change of appearance. e.g. Noodler's 54th Massachusetts https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255965-noodlers-54-massachusetts/?p=2825711)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

This is actually a fantastic option!

What is the average price point of these pens?

If it's around $200 then that is perfect.

It is about 225. There are things you can do to increase the price, mostly material costs or very labor-intensive requests, but I have found her prices fair, and she doesn't gouge. (I have never gone over the base price, and have a pretty serious list of requirements). Her nibs have always been perfect out of the box, but Pendleton Brown seems to have a good relationship with her, and has knocked a few bucks off his normal grind prices for me in the past. Or you could buy a #6 Masayuma or Binder nib from Franklin-Christoph or Richard Binder - they switch out easily.

Flickr with a gazillion pictures is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_tortoise/

Website here http://scriptoriumpens.com

Tell her I said hi if you drop her a line!

It is about 225. There are things you can do to increase the price, mostly material costs or very labor-intensive requests, but I have found her prices fair, and she doesn't gouge. (I have never gone over the base price, and have a pretty serious list of requirements). Her nibs have always been perfect out of the box, but Pendleton Brown seems to have a good relationship with her, and has knocked a few bucks off his normal grind prices for me in the past. Or you could buy a #6 Masayuma or Binder nib from Franklin-Christoph or Richard Binder - they switch out easily.

Flickr with a gazillion pictures is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/lady_tortoise/

Website here http://scriptoriumpens.com

Tell her I said hi if you drop her a line!

I am actually currently in contact with her. I will also of course mention your name!

Which one is this?

It's rather nice.

Diderot

I simple search by image on Google with tell you that this is the Montblanc Heritage 1914