Pif Parker "51" Pen Tube With Hard And Soft Protection

Flounder

I've had some superlative PIFs this year; first an amazing 4 pen wrap from Adrienne, then a brand new Pilot 78G from Thuja.

Pen people are the best! It's time to pay it forward. Up for grabs is a pen tube for a Parker 51.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubes004.jpg

• The outside is a rigid PET plastic preform (approx 3mm thick), which is an excellent hard barrier against crushing, bending, twisting, scratching and cutting forces. Hostile synonyms are no match! Shattering - pah! Smashing - pishaw! Spiflicating - pish tosh!
  • The inside is lined with 3mm thick non-toxic, UV resistant closed cell soft foam (60 on the 00 shore scale), to absorb the stress of impact strikes and abrasion. To protect the 51's delicate celluloid jewels against the concentrated force of end on strikes, the top and bottom get 6mm of foam, lined in 100% silk.
  • The screw cap is a repurposed Diamine ink bottle cap. If you're going to make a pen tube, you may as well do it in style!

I wanted to make something that would be good protection for a daily carry pen, small enough to toss in a day bag with the rest of your gear, but strong enough to ward off damage. The inside of a day bag at walking pace can be a surprisingly hostile place, with jangling keys, spare change, and a heavy laptop all ready to do their worst.

PM me with the subject line "Don't spiflicate me, bro!" for a chance to win this P51 tube, by Sunday 21st December, 8pm ish GMT. This is a worldwide PIF.

Photos:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubessilklined6mmfoamcap.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubes003.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubesbarreldetail.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubes005.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flounder

• Ricardo1962

• amberleadavis

• Amberjack

WOW, those are awesome! Did you make them or buy them?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Wow, thanks for the complimentary replies!

Amber, I made them from preforms, foam, etc. I originally wanted to line the interior fully with silk, but couldn't because of a slight choke in the preforms. I could probably overcome the issue eventually, but wanted to get this PIF done for Christmas. Shame, my sewing was starting to improve!

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubes002.jpg

edit - I forgot to include this size comparison with one of those Retro51 packing tubes. Basically, if you look at any soda bottle cap, the pen tube is roughly that diameter, it's strong but handy-sized.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/FMT%20Hard%20-%20Soft%20Parker%2051%20Pen%20Tubes/FMTPenTubesizecomparisonwithRetro51.jpg

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

- Not an entry -

Just wanted to say that I think these are great and that you have inspired me to make something similar some time down the road.

I am totally impressed!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

~not an entry~

Amazing, unconventional & downright useful.

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

:)

I found this youtube clip that better explains preform tubes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NE4c1gwzPb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

edit - um, where has "allow HTML" gone?

Edited by Flounder

very cool. I have entered.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Congratulations to "RR4U", the P51 tube will be heading your way! Merry Christmas to everyone who entered. I have been surprised by the number of people who were enthusiastic about this PIF - if I can get the parts together, I will try to repeat it in the new year.

Happy holidays everyone!

Wearing rubber gloves ( :eureka: ), I inked up with Emerald Green. Then, I carefully wiped

the rim of the bottle and the inside of the cap. I tidied up before I took off the gloves. ( :eureka: )

When I threw the gloves into the trash, there was ink on one glove. I got green all

over my hand. ( :wallbash: ) Sometimes, I could just scream !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Congratulations to "RR4U", the P51 tube will be heading your way! Merry Christmas to everyone who entered. I have been surprised by the number of people who were enthusiastic about this PIF - if I can get the parts together, I will try to repeat it in the new year.

Happy holidays everyone!

:thumbup: YAY... I WON! :thumbup:

Thank you so much Flounder, this neat little item will definitely be put to good use.

I wish everybody here a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

R.

“The pen is the tongue of the mind.”

- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

fpn_1421103764__don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

Congratulations RR4U !

Thank you!

R.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the pen tube yesterday, it's GREAT!

A well executed brilliant idea and a wonderful addition to my writing instruments paraphernalia. Thank you Flounder. ;)

Best regards,

R.

I wish my Burgundy Duofold had been in one when I ran over it in my car!

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness