Meisterstuck Classique Authenticity Help

Drcollector

Hello everyone, I am brand new to FPN so please bear with me. I recently received a Meisterstuck Classique ballpoint pen on eBay, but I am already questioning its authenticity. I apologize for not having pictures, as I am currently unable to upload from my phone. I will do my best to bring this pen into a boutique for verification. In the meantime, I really need some help to identify a counterfeit. Below are the results of my inspection so far:

-There is no serial number on the top of the clip. I am aware that older models do not have this. However, my pen only has GERMANY inscribed and centered.

-The white star logo is clean and centered.

-Pix is not inscribed on the underside of the clip.

-The clip does not appear to be folded at the sides, which is a good sign.

-What made me particularly skeptical was the center band. Inscribed is the following: MONTBLANC - MEISTERSTUCK - Pix. I have seen fountain pens that have this along with the model number, but I have never seen such a design on a ballpoint.

-I shone a light through the bottom barrel and it produced a deep red, which seems to be a good sign.

-On the other hand, shining a light through the top barrel revealed nothing. Additionally, there is a sort of yellow, rubber material in the top barrel, which may be obstructing the light.

-The pen came with a Fisher Pressurized Pen refill, and upon replacing that with a real Montblanc ballpoint refill, I find that it protrudes only partially from the tip.

I truly hope that a return will not be necessary, so please offer your input on the legitimacy of this pen. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Urushiphile

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drcollector

• cooljatt18

• Chrissy

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

With good very clear pictures it might be possible to tell if it is a fake but there is no way to authenticate it without having the actual pen in hand and known samples to compare it against.

Your best bet is to take the pen to a Montblanc boutique and see what they say.

My Website

Welcome to FPN!! :)

The wording on the center band sounds fine, I own and have seen ballpoints which have this although I thought it was a newer style but I'm probably wrong. The pen I have which has Pix on the band also has stampings under the clip. It sounds like you may have an older model if it is authentic since it doesn't have a serial number. OR, maybe the clip is not original to the pen or was replaced by MB service. You are also right that you won't see light through the cap because there is metal and the twist mechanism preventing light from coming through.

Unfortunately without pictures, it really is hard to help. But the problem with the ink refill is worrisome.

Edited by Mister Mont Blanc

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

IMG_1078.jpg

Here is the clip with the Germany inscription. It says "Germany" only, not W. Germany.

IMG_1082.JPG

The center band with Montblanc - Meisterstuck - Pix. Note the style of the lettering. It looks narrower and sharper compared to my other Montblanc. I do not know if that is to compensate for the Pix inscription.

IMG_1085.JPG

However, there is no Pix under the clip! I read that Montblancs produced since the 2000s feature Pix on the center band. The article also stated that Pix was marked under the clip since 1997. Furthermore, if this is a newer Montblanc, then shouldn't it have a serial number?

IMG_1086.JPG

Here I have inserted a new genuine Montblanc refill. Note the tip, which appears to be a bit short based on photos of genuine models. The pen I received came with a Fisher pressurized refill designed to fit Montblanc pens, which makes me suspicious of this pen's authenticity.

IMG_1084.JPG

The pen, disassembled.

Urushiphile

Thank you everyone for your help so far! Fortunately, I was able to transfer my photos here. The key points that lead me to suspect a counterfeit are the following:

1. A brand new fine ballpoint Montblanc refill does not fully protrude from the tip.

2. The font on the center band is narrower than other models. It may just be that way to make more room for Pix.

3. The center band has Pix, which apparently started in the 2000s.

4. The clip does not have a serial number or Pix on the underside, which apparently started in 1997. Therefore, if the pen has Pix on the center band, shouldn't it have Pix on the underside as well as a serial number?

Please offer your thoughts. If needed, I will post more pictures.

Urushiphile

When I unscrew the two halves, the top is understandably heavier than the bottom barrel. Overall, it is fairly lightweight, between 15-25 grams.

Urushiphile

It looks like an authentic pen to me. If the refill is authentic then that's a good sign as they don't always fit into fakes and allow them to be screwed back together. They are frequently too fat for a fake barrel. The amount of tip protruding looks fine to me.

The other thing is that it has Pix on the cap band, so it wouldn't usually have Pix under the clip as well.

The word Germany looks very worn, so it's possible that the serial number is worn too. Under a loupe is there any trace of a number next to the clip?

Thank you for your responses. Upon close inspection, there is no serial number on the clip. Below are more pictures for your judgment.

IMG_1096.JPG

Here is the Fisher refill for comparison. Note how much further it protrudes from the tip.

IMG_1099.JPG

Center band close up. The lines in the inscription seem a bit choppy.

IMG_1100.JPG

Another view of the clip.

IMG_1095.JPG

Another view of the center band.

If anyone can provide an estimate of the production year of this pen, it would be much appreciated! Again, thank you all for your help.

Urushiphile

The many fakes I have seen and handled never seem to have such a smooth and perfect finish where the clip joins the band as authentic pens do. If this was my pen, I wouldn't be worried that it might be a fake.

Thank you for your input. I will make a far trip to a Montblanc boutique soon in order to verify its authenticity and inquire about repairs.

Urushiphile

The MB ballpoint refills are like that, which is a tad shorter which I felt it looks nicer, similar to my Le Grand.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I was concerned that the previous owner possibly tampered with the insides.

Urushiphile

Thanks again to everyone for their help. Upon visiting a Montblanc boutique, I was informed that the pen was genuine!

Urushiphile

Its probably early 90's before the serial numbers came in, but all in all looks legit, weight is a dead giveaway, fakes do not weigh this light.