The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Repairs: What's With The Delays?

stipula stipula repairs

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 jgrammer

jgrammer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:58

I suspect there are either biweekly or monthly shipments of pens. When pens are sent to yafa they have to be received, catalogued, and then evaluated. If needing trip to Italy they are then catalogued for shipment and then segregated. When I spoke with Yafa they always mention shipment of pens. I would think they either ship when they have specific number of pens or as said biweekly or monthly. Once shipped this package of pens must go through two customs and then be received by Stipula. Same process to send back. Although I do not have knowledge of this I have read that little gets done in Italy in August. I certainly think the length of time is very long for what would seem to be at simple repair. I do not think 6 months should be the goal for the company, but believe up to two months are tied up in shipping. I certainly think people with pens requiring multiple shipments for repair of quality issue should be prioritized and cared for in much more timely fashion. Maybe I should take out word reasonable and replace with what I anticipated. Anyway happy to have pen back.

Sponsored Content

#122 SoCalBilling

SoCalBilling

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2015 - 16:57

I suspect there are either biweekly or monthly shipments of pens. When pens are sent to yafa they have to be received, catalogued, and then evaluated. If needing trip to Italy they are then catalogued for shipment and then segregated. When I spoke with Yafa they always mention shipment of pens. I would think they either ship when they have specific number of pens or as said biweekly or monthly. Once shipped this package of pens must go through two customs and then be received by Stipula. Same process to send back. Although I do not have knowledge of this I have read that little gets done in Italy in August. I certainly think the length of time is very long for what would seem to be at simple repair. I do not think 6 months should be the goal for the company, but believe up to two months are tied up in shipping. I certainly think people with pens requiring multiple shipments for repair of quality issue should be prioritized and cared for in much more timely fashion. Maybe I should take out word reasonable and replace with what I anticipated. Anyway happy to have pen back

This makes more sense as to why you thought it would take a month to travel to and from Italy, If you are accounting or the entire process as you described. I was thinking of only the actual travel time and not of these other things you described. But even with those things being what they are, even 4 months to do the actual repair seems to me far too long. This I just don't understand. Are that many of their pens breaking down and/or working properly? And you are correct about the summer months, I do believe that they close down for a month or two.

Anthony

#123 mgepark

mgepark

mgepark

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:28

Rest assured, although a slow process, pens come back professionally repaired and resolved via FedEx and at reasonable prices. I've had two go through the process the first took more than 6 months last year when big problems were lurking with the Company and the second came back last week which was 4 months less August so about 3 months. Fixed and back to original.

#124 SoCalBilling

SoCalBilling

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:43

Hello all ... just thought I would give an update on my Stipula Niciola pen. I've you have followed this thread at all you might know what is going on with my pen, but just in case you haven't, let me recap briefly :

The pen in question is a limited edition, celluloid, vacuum filler. I bought in Jan of 2014. The vacuum filler broke in March 2014. Sent it in to Yafa to get repaired, and they sent it to Italy. I got the pen back in August 2014 (5 months later). I used it for about 2 months, and the vacuum filler broke again in October 2014. I sent the pen back to Yafa in January 2015, and they sent it again to Italy for the second time. The pen was returned to Yafa in August 2015 (7 1/2 months later). I requested they test the filling system before sending the pen back to me, and sure enough, it broke again. so the pen was sent back to Italy for the third time in August. The pen came back to Yafa just today (4 months).

Now -

I emailed Yafa last week asking for the status of my pen and the response I got was that it was expected to be back in mid January 2016. This was on Wednesday 12/05/2015. I get an email this morning that my pen is back (how could that be? I just last Wednesday it wasn't supposed to be back until January). In addition to the email, there was a bill for $42! for the repair of "ink flow and skipping" !! what???

Long story short, I email Yafa back to confirm that 1) that this was my pen, and 2) that it was worked on for the correct repair.

This is the response that I received:

Hi Anthony,

I’m very sorry for the latest snafu with your Stipula Nicola pen.  I tested the one that came back and sure enough it has the same issue.  This time it looks like it is on Yafa as Stipula was not given the correct instructions.  We are not waiting for other repairs and are shipping your pen alone by air to Italy and asking that they take special care with this pen and return it as quickly as possible to us.  Clara will keep you informed on its progress, but I will personally call the owner of Stipula and have him look for the pen when it arrives.

My first reaction, you would think, would be one of anger and frustration, but actually, I just shook my head and chuckled to myself; I guess I am just at the point where it's becoming a joke.

Anthony

#125 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 18:20

Yup. Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry or just scream.

It seems as if some pens are for collecting. Some are for writing. And some are just for mailing back and forth for repairs.

David

#126 SoCalBilling

SoCalBilling

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2016 - 15:01

Hello all ... just thought I would give an update on my Stipula Niciola pen. I've you have followed this thread at all you might know what is going on with my pen, but just in case you haven't, let me recap briefly :

The pen in question is a limited edition, celluloid, vacuum filler. I bought in Jan of 2014. The vacuum filler broke in March 2014. Sent it in to Yafa to get repaired, and they sent it to Italy. I got the pen back in August 2014 (5 months later). I used it for about 2 months, and the vacuum filler broke again in October 2014. I sent the pen back to Yafa in January 2015, and they sent it again to Italy for the second time. The pen was returned to Yafa in August 2015 (7 1/2 months later). I requested they test the filling system before sending the pen back to me, and sure enough, it broke again. so the pen was sent back to Italy for the third time in August. The pen came back to Yafa just today (4 months).

Now -

I emailed Yafa last week asking for the status of my pen and the response I got was that it was expected to be back in mid January 2016. This was on Wednesday 12/05/2015. I get an email this morning that my pen is back (how could that be? I just last Wednesday it wasn't supposed to be back until January). In addition to the email, there was a bill for $42! for the repair of "ink flow and skipping" !! what???

Long story short, I email Yafa back to confirm that 1) that this was my pen, and 2) that it was worked on for the correct repair.

This is the response that I received:

Hi Anthony,

I’m very sorry for the latest snafu with your Stipula Nicola pen.  I tested the one that came back and sure enough it has the same issue.  This time it looks like it is on Yafa as Stipula was not given the correct instructions.  We are not waiting for other repairs and are shipping your pen alone by air to Italy and asking that they take special care with this pen and return it as quickly as possible to us.  Clara will keep you informed on its progress, but I will personally call the owner of Stipula and have him look for the pen when it arrives.

My first reaction, you would think, would be one of anger and frustration, but actually, I just shook my head and chuckled to myself; I guess I am just at the point where it's becoming a joke.

Anthony

After a 13 month wait, my pen is finally scheduled to arrive at my home sometime today. Now, let's see if it works!

Anthony

#127 SoCalBilling

SoCalBilling

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 18:59

Update ... my pen arrived back to me, and I'd forgotten how beautiful the pen was. Just looking at it again, made me fall in love with it all over again. I inked it up and used it, and the it worked wonderfully. I've been flushing the pen for the past couple of days, testing the filling system, and this morning, the filling system broke down again :(  :wallbash: .

Anthony

#128 FriendAmos

FriendAmos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 21:33

One thing I will say for Yafa is that they generally try to be helpful even when their Italian suppliers apparently can't be bothered.   I had a case (with a very expensive pen) where direct back-and-forth pen-trips to Italy did not work (and were costly), but Yafa eventually helped me sort out things.

#129 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 23:12

Update ... my pen arrived back to me, and I'd forgotten how beautiful the pen was. Just looking at it again, made me fall in love with it all over again. I inked it up and used it, and the it worked wonderfully. I've been flushing the pen for the past couple of days, testing the filling system, and this morning, the filling system broke down again :(  :wallbash: .

Anthony

Oh, man! That is just awful! 

Is it possible to salvage the pen by converting it to a different filling system?

David

#130 Larry Barrieau

Larry Barrieau

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:24

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who read this thread would have anything at all to do with Stipula.  The beaten wife syndrome I guess.

To better see my icon     http://fpnlcb.shutterfly.com/pictures

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen.  (It's smaller than an sj)

#131 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:32

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who read this thread would have anything at all to do with Stipula.  The beaten wife syndrome I guess.

The dilemma  is that Stipula has made some really beautiful pens with wonderful nibs.  Those pens are ergonomically near perfect.  The company has had some substantial problems in recent years, for sure. 

David

#132 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 19:06

I am really sorry to hear your news, Anthony.

Here is a situation where I can only speak to what I know. I have some excellent Stipula pens which I have accumulated over a number of years. I have had good luck with them. At the moment, I have one Etruria that has a frozen piston. I have not used the pen in quite a while and I only just discovered the problem. I have no intention of sending it to Stipula for repair. I am going to send it to a penmeister. The turn around time will be far better than Stipula's, the repair will be more reliable, and there will be a much better level of accountability for the quality of the repair. I will pay for those benefits out of my own pocket, and I jolly well prefer to do so than face Stipula.

Will I buy more Stipula products? Yes, I will. And I will deal with any problems on a case-by-case basis.

#133 PaulT00

PaulT00

trainee nutcase

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:46

There seems to be a continuing complete lack of any sense of urgency or accountability with Stipula.  I dropped my Suprema Nuda on a hard floor back around the middle of 2015, which snapped it at the section joint.  Entirely my fault, silly me.  I emailed Stipula regarding whether it might be repairable, and was advised a while later to send it to them.  I posted it around the middle of August 2015, then - nothing.  Chased by email a couple of times and finally was copied on an internal email (in Italian) which seemed to imply that the pen was fixed and awaiting despatch.  Then deathly quiet again.  Finally, in January 2016 I got an email informing me that the charge would be €30 (€10 for the repair, and €20 for the shipping home) - I paid by international bank transfer and emailed them on 18th Jan to let them know.  Since then, nothing.  I last chased them in February asking for confirmation that the repair was done and the pen on its way, but I haven't even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement as at mid April.  So they now have my pen, and my money, and apparently cannot even be bothered to talk to me...

Don't get me wrong - I think that some of their pens are absolutely gorgeous works of art.  And given the damage to the pen I was surprised they felt it would be repairable (I think it's more a case of swapping the nib, cap and filling system into a new body and section!) so I'm quite grateful as it was one of my favourite pens.  But I've more or less given up on any expectation of ever seeing it again... and I doubt I will ever buy another Stipula given the awful customer service.  Someone tell me if I'm being unreasonable, but I feel that a company which cannot even be bothered with the common courtesy of an acknowledgement to a reasonable enquiry has no place in the 21st century.

#134 AD64

AD64

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 21:05

I would like to see the return of the Passporto / Bon Voyage line in a better designed build. If memory serves right, the Bon Voyage had a threaded barrel end to better secure the cap when posting. The Passporto, again if memory serves right, didn't and I had seen an occasional complaint of a loose cap when posted and the real possibility of losing the cap. 

Currently the best small pocket pens I have are the Pilot Petit 1 and a Kaweco Ice Sport. A well built Passporto or a Bon Voyage would be very welcomed.

I don't know if you are still looking for a Passaporto, but just yesterday I discovered that the Fountain Pen Hospital has a stock of the demonstrators in clear, red, and blue. I called to ask about the threaded posting on their inventory as I knew this was a common issue for people. The very helpful clerk said that their stock has threaded posting of the caps. There are only F and M nibs though. The price was lower than anything I've seen on the auction house, even with shipping. 

A clear demonstrator with a F nib is on it's way to me now.

#135 Tinjapan

Tinjapan

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2016 - 15:54

I recently started another topic on Stipula ending operations in Japan. Not directly relevent to repairs but may add more info on the health of the company.

#136 PaulT00

PaulT00

trainee nutcase

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:05

A quick followup to my earlier post about dreadful customer service on repairs.

I finally lost patience and sent another email copied to every email address I've previously seen from Stipula.

I received a reply a couple of days later from Luca Viti, apologising profusely for the late response, and advising me that due to a communication failure with the logistics department my pen had been sitting awaiting despatch for several months.

It arrived yesterday.

It appears that Stipula have "repaired" my pen by swapping my nib into a complete new pen.  I was expecting that a new body would be required, but not a complete pen.  Unfortunately this means it's no longer "my" pen - 222/351 has been replaced by 242/351 - but, worse, the replacement body looks like a QC failure: the engraving on the (demonstrator) body has a very noticeable flaw which spoils the look of the pen and catches my eye every time I pick the thing up.  It writes beautifully - but the aesthetic issue with the engraving bugs me intensely and means I no longer want to use the pen.  Why Stipula feel it's appropriate to take a year to do a "repair" which looks to be essentially a nib swap into an old QC failure body they had spare is beyond me.  It's been long enough that they could - and should, if necessary! - have fabricated a complete new body from raw materials.  This is a pen which retails at more than £400, after all!

I have sent another email back, explaining my dissatisfaction, but have not yet had a reply.

I think it's highly unlikely that I will ever buy another Stipula.

#137 prok

prok

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2016 - 16:17

Please help. From Akademia Stipula pen not working the piston. Spinning endlessly. How to disassemble a pen? I want to do the repair yourself. Show pictures of the disassembly of the handle.

#138 EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:34

Reading this thread is eye opening.  You Stipula lovers have a lot of patience with what seems like a grossly incompetent and entitled manufacturer...They must really write well to justify this level of aggravation :D

#139 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:42

Reading this thread is eye opening.  You Stipula lovers have a lot of patience with what seems like a grossly incompetent and entitled manufacturer...They must really write well to justify this level of aggravation :D

I love my Stipula pens. They are beautifully designed and write wonderfully. The lower end models, with which I have had no experience, have had QA problems. Regarding repairs, there have been long delays, and I can't say I have been very patient. However, I understand that the company has been going through a prolonged existential crisis. It is not clear to me that they are out of it yet, although I believe there is new ownership. I'm hoping.

David

#140 prok

prok

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2016 - 14:20

None examined their own pen? Tell us where you can see how to dismantle it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stipula, stipula repairs

Sponsored Content