Stipula Repairs: What's With The Delays?

dms525

I had sent two different Stipula pens to Yafa at different times for different problems. Both of these were last year. The first one came home last week, fixed perfectly. I'm hoping the other will come home soon.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• SoCalBilling

• Phormula

• mge01park

I just sold off an Etruria. Nice pens, but I think there has been a shake up at Stipula. I have also had a lot of issues with Lamy - my pens disappeared for almost a year and haven't returned.

I just sold off an Etruria. Nice pens, but I think there has been a shake up at Stipula. I have also had a lot of issues with Lamy - my pens disappeared for almost a year and haven't returned.

Yes. I agree: Re-organization, sale of the company to a new investor and moving the factory to a new location could be considered "a shake up." However, while it has taken over a year, it does appear that the company is now settling down and starting to function again.

David

Happy to know people are getting their pens back from Stipula. I have not gotten my pen back as of yet. I emailed Yafa a couple of weeks ago and was told that my pen is not yet back from Italy; hopefully soon. My concern is not so much the time it takes to get the pen back (although that is a concern); it's more an issue for me if my pen, once returned, will be properly repaired. As I have mentioned before in this thread, this is the second time sending this particular pen back for repair for the same issue. My confidence is low that it will be fixed properly, and if it breaks again with the same issue, I will be very upset. At that point I am not sure what to do, because I probably would just like to rid myself of the pen altogether. I'd like Stipula to give me a replacement or a refund (although I did not buy the pen directly from them). but I don't know the chances of that happening. Hopefully it won't come to that :)

Anthony

Happy to know people are getting their pens back from Stipula. I have not gotten my pen back as of yet. I emailed Yafa a couple of weeks ago and was told that my pen is not yet back from Italy; hopefully soon. My concern is not so much the time it takes to get the pen back (although that is a concern); it's more an issue for me if my pen, once returned, will be properly repaired. As I have mentioned before in this thread, this is the second time sending this particular pen back for repair for the same issue. My confidence is low that it will be fixed properly, and if it breaks again with the same issue, I will be very upset. At that point I am not sure what to do, because I probably would just like to rid myself of the pen altogether. I'd like Stipula to give me a replacement or a refund (although I did not buy the pen directly from them). but I don't know the chances of that happening. Hopefully it won't come to that :)

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I was like you, sent in for the first repair and after 4 months it came back with poor repair. My Stipula was only made two and it was over one grand. The repair wasn't done properly and I sent it back and after more than dozen emails I finally got the pen back a few days ago. The pen is like new! They fixed all the issues plus even fixed the gap in the tines.

It might take some time but I think you will eventually get the pen back properly fixed just like I have.

Best.

Hello Anthony,

I was like you, sent in for the first repair and after 4 months it came back with poor repair. My Stipula was only made two and it was over one grand. The repair wasn't done properly and I sent it back and after more than dozen emails I finally got the pen back a few days ago. The pen is like new! They fixed all the issues plus even fixed the gap in the tines.

It might take some time but I think you will eventually get the pen back properly fixed just like I have.

Best.

It's encouraging to know your pen was repaired properly this time around. What was the issue with your pen? My issue is with the filling system; it has a vacuum filler that keeps breaking down. It will work for about a month, then something inside breaks (I assume) and it stops sucking up ink - the vacuum stops working. I am no expert on filling systems so I cannot really say for sure why this is happening. My guess is that the problem lies with the actual part materials being used to make up the system. My fear is that they will just keep replacing the part or parts that are breaking down with the same (material) part.

I also don't know if, when they repair my pen this time around, are they aware that this is the second time around for the same issue? I asked Yafa to include a note regarding this, and they stated that they did, so I can only assume they are aware, but who knows. At least if they know that this has happened before, maybe that can do something to prevent this from happening again. I'd hate to have to send it in again.

Anthony

It's encouraging to know your pen was repaired properly this time around. What was the issue with your pen? My issue is with the filling system; it has a vacuum filler that keeps breaking down. It will work for about a month, then something inside breaks (I assume) and it stops sucking up ink - the vacuum stops working. I am no expert on filling systems so I cannot really say for sure why this is happening. My guess is that the problem lies with the actual part materials being used to make up the system. My fear is that they will just keep replacing the part or parts that are breaking down with the same (material) part.

I also don't know if, when they repair my pen this time around, are they aware that this is the second time around for the same issue? I asked Yafa to include a note regarding this, and they stated that they did, so I can only assume they are aware, but who knows. At least if they know that this has happened before, maybe that can do something to prevent this from happening again. I'd hate to have to send it in again.

Anthony

My pen had a very minor issues. The pen starts skipping due to a wide gap in the tines (flexible nib) and I was trying to clean up by soaking the nib in the water then the nib section got separated from the main body. I guess the glue that nib sections attached were somehow dissolved by the water. They repaired first time but wasn't glued properly and not exactly aligned so when I screw the cap back it touches the nib and making scratch sound and actually twisted the nib and was a bumpy thread due to residue from the glue. It totally felt rough and cheap not handmade bespoke pen that supposed to be.

Now after second time around, it's just like new!

I wouldn't know about much about the mechanical issues. Hopefully they fix yours with the proper parts.

Best of Luck!

I just got an e-mail today that my second pen has been shipped back to me and should arrive on Monday. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

This one is a Stipula Gladiator with a clip that had come loose. All it needed was either to have the clip reattached properly or to have the cap replaced. The pen itself was still working perfectly. We'll see what condition it's in when I get it on Monday.

The Etruria that I got back last week seems to be working OK. The piston had been so stiff that I couldn't fill it but it's fine now.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

The Gladiator just arrived, all fixed! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Two pens sent in, two pens fixed and returned, no charges. Slow, but otherwise perfect.

Bill Sexauer
PCA Member since 2006

All the reports of completed repairs are encouraging. I wonder what the turn around would be if a pen were sent in for repairs today.

The next thing I am watching for is the release of new high-quality products after the re-organization. I might give up giving up on Stipula. :)

David

All the reports of completed repairs are encouraging. I wonder what the turn around would be if a pen were sent in for repairs today.

The next thing I am watching for is the release of new high-quality products after the re-organization. I might give up giving up on Stipula. :)

David

Stipula was basically dead as a company.

Witout action, the factory was going to be shut down and all workers laid off.

Antiche Fabbriche Firenze saw a potential in the brand and decided to take the risk.

It took them some time to make a new start, but now the company seems to be back on track.

The good thing is that the new owners did not just took over the company, but seem to be genuinely interested in improving it.

You experienced dealys with repairs, shops here in Italy had issues with orders, i.e. the company was not delivering to shops.

Now the situation seems to be over, I was finally able to get an inkwell of Stipula blue ink I ordered from a shop longtime ago and most likely I will be able to get the Netto inkwell.

I also just got a Stipula Gransasso sent to me by a major Italian shop and I am currently using it with the purpose of reviewing.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I would like to see the return of the Passporto / Bon Voyage line in a better designed build. If memory serves right, the Bon Voyage had a threaded barrel end to better secure the cap when posting. The Passporto, again if memory serves right, didn't and I had seen an occasional complaint of a loose cap when posted and the real possibility of losing the cap.

Currently the best small pocket pens I have are the Pilot Petit 1 and a Kaweco Ice Sport. A well built Passporto or a Bon Voyage would be very welcomed.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

There was a notice on Massdrop yesterday regarding a possible redesigned Passaporto that supposedly addresses the afore mentioned issues including a change in manufacture from injection molding to lathe turning the resin to reduce chance of cracking. I have one that is without issue for me & did not "join" but the post was recent if it is of interest to anyone interested in this pen model.

• 2 months later...

Update on my Stipula

Finally for call from Yafa that my pen has returned from Italy....This was after I called to inquire about it, asked to send a photo of the pen, then told that it was not back yet, only to be called a couple days later stating that the pen was back.

Yeah.

Well, this was the second time I had sent in my pen for a broken filling system (a vacuum filler). After I sent the pen in for the second time (this past February), I had inquired with the Yafa about possibly getting a refund or another pen should this problem continue, that I didn't want to keep sending in the pen, over and over again, because it keeps breaking down. At this point I didn't have much faith that It was going to get fixed properly and I just wanted to explore my options if that scenario presented itself. I was basically told that If I did want a refund, that I'd have to contact the seller, but, I was told that they would send a note, along with my pen, to Stipula, about my inquiry. (I never got an answer).

fast-forward to Monday; I get a call from Yafa saying my pen is in, and they wanted to mail it to me. I called back and asked about my previous inquiry - if it breaks down again, can I get a refund or another pen? The girl handling my repair said she would hold off on mailing my pen and speak to the manager about what I asked, and that he would call me back the next day ( he never called). But the girl did call me back today, and basically told me that if I wanted a refund or a new pen that I'd have to get it from the seller, or from Stipula, that they would not do this. She also told me that if I did want to get the refund or new pen, that the seller would need to contact Stipula, that they would not. Before I could ask another questions, Ross Cameron was on the phone with me (Ross is the manager)

Ross was very nice and sympathetic, and said that something could be worked out. I explained the situation and he wanted to help out, but had assured me the pen was working and he tested it. I further explained to him that the problem was not with the pen filling initially, but the pen kept breaking down when flushing the pen, over and over, for cleaning. Because you need to repeat the filling procedure several times before the pen is clean. So I would use the pen for a month, clean it, and then it would stop filling; the vacuum would not longer create, and then pen would not fill. and with this information, Ross told me that he would hold off on shipping the pen back to me and test it. He would also contact the seller, whom he knows, and try to work out a solution.

Have to finish this tomorrow, sorry.

Anthony

Finishing up from yesterday ...

After speaking with Ross, I received an email from the seller to call him when I had a chance. I called him right away and he told me that he just had got a text from Ross @ Yafa, and that he had a solution for me. At this point I had not heard back from Ross yet. According to the seller, Ross was testing the pen in question, when it broke again! Same issue, the vacuum mechanism broke/stopped working, inside the pen, so he asked the seller, that If I wanted another pen, that he (Yafa) would reimburse him for his cost.

The seller offered up a few different pens he'd be willing to send me if I didn't want to keep the pen that was now not working again. But, truthfully, I didn't like these pens as much as I liked my pen, and so it was very difficult to accept, all the while the seller explaining to me that they will eventually get my pen fixed the proper way, and probably resell it. He also told me that Yafa would never offer me a refund, and if a refund were to come, it would need to be from him, which I didn't want to do. I've been buying from this seller for about 5 years now, and I didn't want him to lose money. I told him that I'd think about it his offer of a new pen

I then called Ross back and asked him about the pen breaking down again, and he said, "yes, I see what you were saying". It broke down in the exact same way as I broke for me two times already (now three). After speaking with him for a few minutes, I ultimately decided to send the pen back to Italy, try one more time. I asked him if when a pen gets sent back multiple times, are they aware of it's history? Will they stop just repairing in the same way and try something new to correct the problem? He assured me that he would send a detailed explanation of the issue, and that if it did break again, that the offer would still stand, that I would be able to chose another pen, should I want to.

Both the seller and Ross seem confident that the pen will get corrected, and that's what I'm hoping for, because I really love the pen, and want to keep it ... but I'm not as confident as they are that the pen will get fixed.

I failed to mention that the pen in question is a limited edition pen of only 20, so it's not like they can just offer me a new one of the same pen.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n327/socalbilling/IMG_8403-001-copy_zpsrcbs5qba.jpg

Does anyone think that I am being unreasonable, asking for a refund or a new pen? I just don't feel that it's right that I should have to keep sending in my pen, over and over again, spending $20 plus on shipping each time, waiting months upon months each time. I've had this pen for about 1 1/2 years, and I've used it a total of about 2 months, and it's been in Italy for almost 1 year total, soon to be longer. While I love the pen, I don't think this is right. I hope it gets fixed the proper way this time around, otherwise I'd just like to be rid of it.

Anthony

Finishing up from yesterday ...

After speaking with Ross, I received an email from the seller to call him when I had a chance. I called him right away and he told me that he just had got a text from Ross @ Yafa, and that he had a solution for me. At this point I had not heard back from Ross yet. According to the seller, Ross was testing the pen in question, when it broke again! Same issue, the vacuum mechanism broke/stopped working, inside the pen, so he asked the seller, that If I wanted another pen, that he (Yafa) would reimburse him for his cost.

The seller offered up a few different pens he'd be willing to send me if I didn't want to keep the pen that was now not working again. But, truthfully, I didn't like these pens as much as I liked my pen, and so it was very difficult to accept, all the while the seller explaining to me that they will eventually get my pen fixed the proper way, and probably resell it. He also told me that Yafa would never offer me a refund, and if a refund were to come, it would need to be from him, which I didn't want to do. I've been buying from this seller for about 5 years now, and I didn't want him to lose money. I told him that I'd think about it his offer of a new pen

I then called Ross back and asked him about the pen breaking down again, and he said, "yes, I see what you were saying". It broke down in the exact same way as I broke for me two times already (now three). After speaking with him for a few minutes, I ultimately decided to send the pen back to Italy, try one more time. I asked him if when a pen gets sent back multiple times, are they aware of it's history? Will they stop just repairing in the same way and try something new to correct the problem? He assured me that he would send a detailed explanation of the issue, and that if it did break again, that the offer would still stand, that I would be able to chose another pen, should I want to.

Both the seller and Ross seem confident that the pen will get corrected, and that's what I'm hoping for, because I really love the pen, and want to keep it ... but I'm not as confident as they are that the pen will get fixed.

I failed to mention that the pen in question is a limited edition pen of only 20, so it's not like they can just offer me a new one of the same pen.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n327/socalbilling/IMG_8403-001-copy_zpsrcbs5qba.jpg

Does anyone think that I am being unreasonable, asking for a refund or a new pen? I just don't feel that it's right that I should have to keep sending in my pen, over and over again, spending $20 plus on shipping each time, waiting months upon months each time. I've had this pen for about 1 1/2 years, and I've used it a total of about 2 months, and it's been in Italy for almost 1 year total, soon to be longer. While I love the pen, I don't think this is right. I hope it gets fixed the proper way this time around, otherwise I'd just like to be rid of it.

Anthony

I don't think it is at all unreasonable for you to ask for a refund or a new pen. You did not get what you paid for. The question is, who warranties the pen?

Whether you persist in trying to get the pen you have repaired or push for another option is your decision, of course. With my own problem with a long delay in getting my Etruria repaired, I would have accepted an exchange, if Yafa had had a comparable pen. As it was, I just gave Stipula time to get re-organized and eventually got my pen back. Apparently, it was repaired successfully. I hope you have success with your own pen .... eventually.

David

I don't think it is at all unreasonable for you to ask for a refund or a new pen. You did not get what you paid for. The question is, who warranties the pen?

Whether you persist in trying to get the pen you have repaired or push for another option is your decision, of course. With my own problem with a long delay in getting my Etruria repaired, I would have accepted an exchange, if Yafa had had a comparable pen. As it was, I just gave Stipula time to get re-organized and eventually got my pen back. Apparently, it was repaired successfully. I hope you have success with your own pen .... eventually.

David

Thank you David, I'm hoping as well :unsure: :unsure:

You are much more patient than I am. It's ludicrous to be treated like that and makes me think that not only is there a problem with quality control, but their business sense is equally lacking. A buisness that doesn't see the importance of keeping a customer happy (much less insulting him), won't be around long in these days of social media. This may be an aberration but it doesn't sound like it.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 2 months later...

I have a stipula suprema nuda that has been my daily wrighter for quite some time. The decorative emblem fell off top of cap and left small hole that contributed to drying of ink and poor performance. Sent pen to yafa in April. Pen took a trip to Italy. Called yafa two times and received prompt service and information. Got email mid October from yafa when pen came back from trip abroad. Received pen Monday. Repair good. Pen writes great again. I figure one month for travel each way. That gives about 4 months for repair. Overall I am very pleased with yafa. Repair time is what I expected from previous experience with trip to Italy(dropped pen-snapped barrel). I love my Stipulas and am myself pleased with service. Although I would like to get my pen back sooner I think this repair time was reasonable.

Edited by jgrammer

I have a stipula suprema nuda that has been my daily wrighter for quite some time. The decorative emblem fell off top of cap and left small hole that contributed to drying of ink and poor performance. Sent pen to yafa in April. Pen took a trip to Italy. Called yafa two times and received prompt service and information. Got email mid October from yafa when pen came back from trip abroad. Received pen Monday. Repair good. Pen writes great again. I figure one month for travel each way. That gives about 4 months for repair. Overall I am very pleased with yafa. Repair time is what I expected from previous experience with trip to Italy(dropped pen-snapped barrel). I love my Stipulas and am myself pleased with service. Although I would like to get my pen back sooner I think this repair time was reasonable.

Glad to hear your received your pen back .... and that it works. I disagree with you that 6 months is a "reasonable" time frame to have your pen repaired. It's unfathomable to me that it takes this long to repair a pen. How did you figure that it takes a month for the pen to ship to and another month for the pen to ship back? I can't imagine that it takes that long.

Anthony