The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Right Tool For The Job

field notes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oldmatekev

oldmatekev

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:53

I've been doing some field training at work this week that's required me to take brief notes on paper while standing up in a small group of people.

On the first morning I paused for a few moments to consider what would be the best pen to use. Some of my favorite pens have difficulty writing at strange angles, and I've found springy nibs to be troublesome on a hand-held notebook.

My instinct was to fall back on a trusty Bic Grip rollerball, utterly bullet-proof, but I felt like something a bit different.

On impulse I picked the Sheaffer Balance rollerball that was clipped inside my bag, unused for months. It worked flawlessly, but completely uninspiringly, the sharply tapered ends were very good for pointing at things though.

The next day I craved something a bit different, but I still needed a reliable pen that would work at all angles and not draw attention to itself.
The Parker 45. Of course. It was clipped in my bag right next to the Sheaffer, fitted with a Mocha cartridge (supplied by FPN stalwart Mghuda in a very generous PIF :thumbup: ).

It's robust, discreet, reliable and comfortable. The plain-Jane medium nib is ideal for rapid note-taking, the pointy end is ideal for......pointing, even the brown ink has good contrast and flow characteristics.

It's a bit lifeless for desk-top use, but in the field it's in its element.
Horses for courses eh?

Sponsored Content

#2 Sky Fountain Pens

Sky Fountain Pens

Scientia Est Potentia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:54

Maybe try a Fisher Space Pen. Black maybe.

#3 balson

balson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 18:47

if you need to quickly start and stop writing a pilot vanishing point might be a good option.  i have only used one briefly but its the only pen i have seen that compares with the connivance of a desk pen and it meets your criteria of being nondescript.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: field notes

Sponsored Content

|