All Time Favorite Ink

Ambrose Bierce

Must be about five years since I discovered the inky world beyond Quink and about three since I properly discovered Diamine Eau de Nil. Get through an 80ml bottle a year and whichever pen it's in becomes my daily writer.

Having said all that, right now it is resting because I have just got Edelstein Aquamarine. That is a very close match to EdN, just a tad more green. Thought it may be an improvement, but no. EdN seems almost magical.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HalloweenHJB

• Arkanabar

• martinbir

• Sleebus

Must be about five years since I discovered the inky world beyond Quink and about three since I properly discovered Diamine Eau de Nil. Get through an 80ml bottle a year and whichever pen it's in becomes my daily writer.

Having said all that, right now it is resting because I have just got Edelstein Aquamarine. That is a very close match to EdN, just a tad more green. Thought it may be an improvement, but no. EdN seems almost magical.

Due to your glowing testimonial, I just ordered a bottle of EdN! Can't wait to try it out!

Waterman Mysterious Blue. Lovely shading with a medium nib on good paper. More solid with a fine nib. Solid color on cheap paper. Always interesting what you get out of it. I really like the color, my pens like it and the price is right.

I am looking for a good red though, maybe y'all can share your favorite red? I'm looking for a red that comes out of a felt-tip Flair or Pilot Razor point. I bought some Noodler's Tiananmen, but that's way too dark when dry...almost brown. From what I can tell, Skrip Red is what I'm looking for, but anyone's experience is definitely appreciated.

I am looking for a good red though, maybe y'all can share your favorite red? I'm looking for a red that comes out of a felt-tip Flair or Pilot Razor point. I bought some Noodler's Tiananmen, but that's way too dark when dry...almost brown. From what I can tell, Skrip Red is what I'm looking for, but anyone's experience is definitely appreciated.

Skrip red would be my red of choice too. But if you use a Pilot c/c pen, you might consider Pilot Mixable Red cartridges. They're made for the Parallel pens, but they have the same form factor as regular Pilot carts, and the red is very like that of a red Pilot Precise V5 rollerball.

Skrip red would be my red of choice too. But if you use a Pilot c/c pen, you might consider Pilot Mixable Red cartridges. They're made for the Parallel pens, but they have the same form factor as regular Pilot carts, and the red is very like that of a red Pilot Precise V5 rollerball.

I struggled to find a red red that had good behavior and didn't smear on smooth papers. I settled on Skrip Red. I also asked the folks at Goulet for a recommendation... they suggested -- for non-smearing Skrip Red, Lamy Red, and Platinum Pigmented, but those last two are too light and pinkish for me.So, Skrip it is.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

For a super bright red, I'd go with either Diamine Wild Strawberry or Poppy. Super red, without the pink undertone.

For a super bright red, I'd go with either Diamine Wild Strawberry or Poppy. Super red, without the pink undertone.

Those two look great. Looks like I'll be trialing all 3 this afternoon at the pen shop. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sailor Bungu-Box 4B.

It strikes the perfect balance between maturity and pizzazz (with that ever-present dramatic red sheen); the fact that it is so impeccably behaved is just icing on the cake.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Waterman's Red is another good choice for a bright red. I think the current version is called "Audacious Red".

post-132891-0-51774200-1481255314_thumb.jpg

There are so many really nice inks out there. The one I keep coming back to though, is Noodlers Heart of Darkness. :thumbup:

Sailor Sei-Boku. While there are colors that I like better (although it is definitely my favorite blue), this ink checks all my checkboxes for performance. It performs well on all kinds of paper. It is neither too wet not too dry and does well in every pen I've tried it in. It never clogs. It shades beautifully. And it is extremely waterfast.

Yet another Sarah.

Mont Blanc Permanent Blue so far is my perfect blue/ink. Pilot Blue Black is a close second. But MBPB is just more vibrant on the page.

Edited by ShortRound131

Due to your glowing testimonial, I just ordered a bottle of EdN! Can't wait to try it out!

Not looked back for a while, glad I inspired you. What do you think of it? An unusual colour but I think acceptable for everyday use.

Don't have many inks yet, as I'm just starting my collection, but I have to say I really love Diamine eau de nil... something about that dark colour, the conrrast it makes on the pages of my leuchtturm, that not-blue not-green not-turquoise quality... kind of teal but not teal either... I just love it, and I'm planning on buying an 80 ML bottle next time instead of the 30 ML I own now.

Forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde.

In terms of I have gone through more of it? Pelikan 4001 Blue Black.

There may be others I like as well or better though. But I have forked out cash for this 3 times now.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Not looked back for a while, glad I inspired you. What do you think of it? An unusual colour but I think acceptable for everyday use.

Yes, certainly, it's a good ink for daily use. However, I did not take seriously the claims that the new Dutch Master's Israels Zeeblauw was an exact match to Diamine's Eau de Nil. With various pens and various papers, the two are nearly identical. So now I have oceans of that color ink. But since I do like it very much, I can't complain.

Good grief. Might as well ask for my favorite Bach piece. I would have to go with a choice for each color, and even that's not going to be easy.

Let me cogitate.

Okay.

Red: Noodler's Berning Red

Yellow: My own blend of 4 parts Private Reserve Buttercup to 1 part Private Reserve Vampire Red. Very rich gold, that makes.

Green: Iroshizuku shin-ryoku

Teal: Lamy Turquoise

Blue: Oh, no. No way can I narrow that down.

Blue-Black: Waterman Blue Black

Purple: Levenger Amethyst

Black: Pelikan Brilliant Black

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested