What''s The Oldest Fountain Pen In Your Collection?

Sky Fountain Pens

A Waterman 12 POC, with two gold bands, manufactured in St-Lambert, Québec, about one hundred years ago, some time between 1909 and 1917. Wonderful flex. Bought it in an antique store in Québec City five years ago. Didn't know much about pens then, but I just couldn't resist.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sky Fountain Pens

• kestrel

• siamackz

• kirchh

I guess my oldest pen is a Waterman 14 PSF from the 1920's, I believe.

I thought I had a Mabie-Todd Blackbird somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest is a 1953 Eversharp Slim Ventura in sterling silver, which was found NOS as a set with paperwork and a matching 1.1mm repeating push cap mechanical pencil :)

Still works like the day it was made too. The sac is still perfectly functional, though very black, very rubber and very opaque ;)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

• 6 months later...

When this thread started, I said it was the Morrison ringtop. That's probably been passed by the 1926 Parker Lucky Curve Duofold.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have few rusty Parker pens that I inherited from my grandfather. They are obviously all from the 1900s, but I'm not exactly sure when.

-William S. Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

The oldest and only vintage pen I have (I'm new to FP) is a navy blue Parker 51 Special demi that I've dated to around '55-'56 which I'm in the process of restoring, or to be more accurate: cleaning because the insides are in great shape, it seems it was emptied of ink before it was stored and not used for decades. Also my 51 is a bit bizarre in the fact it has all the hallmarks of the Special (plastic body, steel nib (I think, unless they did plating on nibs back then), black jewel, and simpler aerometric filler) but its not marked as a Special on the sac protector

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

• 3 weeks later...

My oldest is a Mabie Todd circa 1910. This FP was one once owned and used by my grandfather. The FP has not weathered the years very well prior to being handed down to me, doubt even if it could be used, but is still a valued FP in my collection.

I have said it before in posts and will say it again - if these FP's could only talk what a story they could tell!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I don't know if it's the oldest fountain pen I have, but it's the oldest I regularly use. A John Holland taper cap eyedropper, patent date 1887:

http://i.imgur.com/SyGcSfE.jpg

Posted, the ebonite cap evokes the tapered ebony handles of the dip pens from the same era (in this case, a Fairchild No.6):

http://i.imgur.com/LoZXApd.jpg

The nib is smooth, fine and delicate, with some gentle flex. The feed has a slight tendency to blob when first handled (in common with most of my eyedroppers) but settles quickly into a consistent flow. The "snail" pattern on the handle is practical, too: it makes for a tactile grip section. It's my favourite journalling pen. Writing with it feels like an event.

http://i.imgur.com/k15iA4A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Esterbrook Dollar, my iteration made in the late-thirties, which makes it just this side of eighty.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...

My most senior pen is an Esterbrook Dollar pen of black ebonite. It's from about 1934; has that style clip and a spear-style lever.

I picked it up in the classifieds here about 4-5 years ago.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

My oldest pen is the Waterman silver Night and Day from the 1920's. Fully restored and a beautiful writer. Bought it from Fountain Pen Hospital about 30 years ago.

post-36725-0-61831800-1444138147.jpeg

Not bought, but given: a Marxton lever-filler ( unsure of date), a Parker Duofold Lucky Curve (ditto), and my mother's Esterbrook (1950s-ish, probably).

Bought, but not new: a Sheaffer with Touchdown filler and conical nib. Could be from 40s or 50s...got a teeny Conklin that was never restored, so I have no idea from when...yeah, really not all that old compared to some.

The Sheaffer is the oldest fp I keep in actual rotation. I'm developing a thing for those.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1920s red ripple or wood grain with full flex gold nib. No name, no clip. Probably Securitas?? Slender to hold, but writes a treat. I have older nibs, for dip pens. The oldest writing instrument is a Sampson Mordan gold pencil 1832 or so.

...be like the ocean...

• 3 years later...

A Mabie Todd & Bard Swan Eyedropper, top and bottom feeds. with MT&B hallmarked silver chatelaine.

Model imprint is 32C OB

I can't trace this number, can anyone help?

I can resist anything but temptation