What's The Most Expensive Fountain Pen You Ever Bought?

Sky Fountain Pens

my post may have insulted some. I'm sorry for that.

Allan😀😀

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wspohn

• inkstainedruth

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• 4lex

85EUR for Diplomat Aero...I utterly love the Waterman Carene, so most probably that one will be coming in soon.

As a sidenote - I don't like it when people are judgemental on what others are spending their money on. I don't like cars myself but I would never tell someone that spending 100k on a car is stupid.

If someone bought a pen/watch/etc for a lot of money good for him/her :) of course they should post hi-res photos and write a detailed review in the relevant online community so the rest of the pen/watch fans can share part of the joy :)

To those of you that are willing to

post that you have very expensive pens, I applaud you. It gets old being insulted and called vain for buying expensive pens.

To those of you that call us vain. Maybe you're just jealous that you can't buy a 2000 dollar + fountain pen. When I spend 1 couple of grand on a pen I do so because I like it and because I can afford it. We don't insult you for buying 5 dollar pens. Please don't insult us for spending 200 or more for a pen.

Allan😀😀

An interesting take, I think most people have assigned a ceiling value to what they are willing to spend on pens rather than not being able to afford to. Personally I doubt that I would spend over £1000 On a pen, but I would happily spend ten times that on a watch. Similar story with shoes, a self imposed limit of a couple of hundred, because I know I can destroy them with one good night out. How I miss those Oliver Sweeney Oxfords 😣

To those of you that are willing to post that you have very expensive pens, I applaud you. It gets old being insulted and called vain for buying expensive pens.

To those of you that call us vain. Maybe you're just jealous that you can't buy a 2000 dollar + fountain pen. When I spend 1 couple of grand on a pen I do so because I like it and because I can afford it. We don't insult you for buying 5 dollar pens. Please don't insult us for spending 200 or more for a pen. I will admit to a purchase that was totally based in vanity. Back in about 1990 they came with a Motorola phone that needed no charge pack. This was the phone.

I bought this phone because I thought it made me look cool. That's vanity, but there is nothing g wrong with vanity. If some think makes you feel good, buy it. I also play golf. Golf is an expensive game but far from being vain. I play for the love of the game. This is my bag and yes, I pay someone to carry it for me

Allan

I remember when mobile phones used to look like that. :)

An interesting take, I think most people have assigned a ceiling value to what they are willing to spend on pens rather than not being able to afford to. Personally I doubt that I would spend over £1000 On a pen, but I would happily spend ten times that on a watch. Similar story with shoes, a self imposed limit of a couple of hundred, because I know I can destroy them with one good night out. How I miss those Oliver Sweeney Oxfords 😣

Agreed, and everyone's ceiling varies. I too will spend more on a watch than a pen. I don't know exactly why that makes sense to me. I suppose it is the fact I wear a watch during most waking hours, and use a good fountain pen some waking hours a day, and sometimes not every day.

Shame about the demise of Oliver Sweeney, both the man and the brand. After he died I think they went downhill.

The Bic I used to sign the Marriage License application.

I just came across jar's response and laughed out loud.

Debbie

I just came across jar's response and laughed out loud.

Debbie

6 months later I did also.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I spent about $375 (330E) on a Pelikan 800 Stresemann.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

None. :)

I buy expesive pens for cheap.

Yay! Show me the trick! lol

I try....sometimes I get good deals, sometimes I think I got good deals but probably not lol

Either way, I enjoy writing with them :D

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

The most expensive one was $450 for Aurora Mare Limited Edition.

That had been my dream pen for a while, so I am happy.

Otherwise, I try to stick to $300 or less, so that I can get more pens...

One day I got brand new Online pen for $3.14, last week I got near-mint russet/jade marble Mabie Todd for $152...

I am enjoying life :D

The most expensive I bought: a Parker Premier (think I paid US$ 250 for it four to five years ago).

The most expensive I own: a Caran d'Ache Léman (US$ 900 at Caran d'Ache online store).

Yay! Show me the trick! lol

I try....sometimes I get good deals, sometimes I think I got good deals but probably not lol

Either way, I enjoy writing with them :D

Mine is a captive market. No Ebay. No compititioon. Seller can't sell to foreign/international buyers. Over here a pen is a pen whether a Vector or a MB 149.

:)

Khan M. Ilyas

I've consciously kept my pens under $200 or so.

Most expensive would be a tie between:

M400 brown tortoise modern

MB 1 danish button filler from 30s

MB 244 from the late 40s

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Up until this past spring I was similar to siamackz as far as price point. That kinda went to you-know-where-in-a-handbasket the end of March, when due to some extenuating circumstances which will probably *never* happen again, I had a PEN SHOPPING BUDGET. So I did my best impression of a friend of mine, who is normally somewhat notoriously frugal, but every once in a great while goes on a spree. Or, as her boyfriend puts it: "Watch out! Judith is going to be spending money like a drunken sailor!" B)

So I had (for me) a GINORMOUS amount of money that I could designate to spend on pens and inks. It will probably never happen again, unless I win the lottery.... And so I ended up buying more pens than I expected to, but the big ticket items (and those two pens took up a considerable chunk of that budget) were a couple of M405s -- a striated Blue with an EF nib and one of the Anthracite Stresemanns with a B nib. Both were on my "Ooh, really want...." list. Were they worth it? Absolutely. :thumbup: They're a joy to write with -- especially the one with the EF nib, which surprised me a bit.

Mind you I'm still a cheapskate at heart -- last week I was in a thrift store that specializes in craft supplies (which is a great idea -- the store is called Creative Reuse). And spent a buck on what turned out to be a Cross Verve with a steel B nib. Didn't even know what it was, but it looked okay and, well, it was a buck.... Turns out that because the pen was discontinued (after the amount of ink on my hands when I went to flush it out the first time and then tried to write with what ink had been reconstituted in the feed, I suspect I know WHY it was discontinued after only 4 years :rolleyes:). But the nib is pretty decent, if you don't mind nails for nibs ;)); and there's one on eBay at the moment which looks almost identical to mine except for the nib width -- and the seller is asking $350 US for it..... :yikes: No clue what the original list price for the model was, but, like I said, it was worth paying a buck for it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Mine is a captive market. No Ebay. No compititioon. Seller can't sell to foreign/international buyers. Over here a pen is a pen whether a Vector or a MB 149.

:)

That makes sense!

I like that a pen is a pen there...

Thank you for sharing! :D