The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Broadest Sailor King Of Pen Nib For Cursive Grind?

sailor nib kop king pilot platinum

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sach

Sach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 20:23

Just need some advice. I'm looking to add a KOP ebonite some time in the next month or so. I normally prefer broader nibs, and I have a Realo with a broad nib ground to CI. This nib, writes more like a medium as I expected.

Now with the KOP, does the broad write broader than the 911 Realo or is it just as wide? 

What would you recommend as the best base to have ground to a broad CI; the equivalent of a European broad, a standard broad or a Naginata Togi B nib?

Sponsored Content

#2 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 20:28

The Naginata-Togi Broad.

#3 MCWB

MCWB

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 22:35

I have two KOP B nibs, they both write like Western mediums at best. Nice nibs, but not suitable if you want a B CI/stub.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:33

+1

#5 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:43

I say King Cobra nib will make a good CI grind IF YOU CAN GET IT FIRST the pen comes later its broad its wet 

and could probably set you back some serious dough I say 700USD

Edited by Algester, 08 December 2014 - 02:45.

#6 lgreen

lgreen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 21:03

The Naginata-Togi Broad.

could you realistically have a NT recut as a cursive italic? wouldn't the design of the tipping on the nib make this difficult? A genuine query as have never heard of anyone doing this?

#7 Jezza

Jezza

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 00:52

I have a KOP with abroad nib.  Actually, I think it's more narrow than the 1911 21k broads.  Mine is almost a western fine, leaning towards a medium at most.

#8 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:15

could you realistically have a NT recut as a cursive italic? wouldn't the design of the tipping on the nib make this difficult? A genuine query as have never heard of anyone doing this?

ArchiMark had his KOP Naginata-Togi Broad ground to a cursive italic by Mike Masuyama. He seems quite happy with it, last I heard. PM him if you want to know more! :) 

#9 Nero

Nero

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 15:22

Another possibility might be to get the nib retipped and then ground to a cursive. I think Greg Minuskin does both things. Perhaps you can check with him too. I don't know which of the other nibmeistes does retipping as well.

#10 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 23:15

Another possibility might be to get the nib retipped and then ground to a cursive. I think Greg Minuskin does both things. Perhaps you can check with him too. I don't know which of the other nibmeistes does retipping as well.

John Mottishaw does it too. I believe he taught Greg Minuskin how to re-tip and grind nibs.

#11 PingleiHe

PingleiHe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 18:59

The broadest one is the Zoom nib.

there is the ef f m b and z , Z is like the double broad, similar to the platinum C or BB in european pens.

#12 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 19:17

The broadest one is the Zoom nib.

there is the ef f m b and z , Z is like the double broad, similar to the platinum C or BB in european pens.

They do not offer the Zoom nib on the KOP which the OP wanted. The broadest nib for KOP is the King Eagle nib, and given the cost and handicraft of that nib, grinding it to a cursive italic would be a waste. As I said earlier, the Naginata-Togi Broad is probably what the OP wants to use.

#13 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:39

They do not offer the Zoom nib on the KOP which the OP wanted. The broadest nib for KOP is the King Eagle nib, and given the cost and handicraft of that nib, grinding it to a cursive italic would be a waste. As I said earlier, the Naginata-Togi Broad is probably what the OP wants to use.

isnt the king cobra the broadest nib that Sailor has unless it doesnt fit the KoP section?

#14 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 16:34

isnt the king cobra the broadest nib that Sailor has unless it doesnt fit the KoP section?

AFAIK they don't produce the King Cobra in the size of the KOP nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, nib, kop, king, pilot, platinum

Sponsored Content

|