Which Is The Best Indian Fountain Pen You Own ?

mrmohitmishra

U

Only Chinese pens there.. Interestingly many of Western manufacturers have outsourced to China & India.

Even the Nooddlers Neponset Music Nib has the name "Vishnu Victory"

There are some Indian pens. He is in process of cataloguing Indian pens after he is finished with Chinese pens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrmohitmishra

• mhguda

• a_m

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should mention in this topic a special mention of great work being done by Mr. Soumitra Sanyal

bout 2

Here is his post.

Kindly see it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279504-sanyal-soumitras-mini-chinese-indian-pen-reviews/page-10

It is an extraordinary work he is doing. He has about 2000 pens. Like he said in one of his post, in India most people cannot afford these very high-end pens. His reviews provide information on pens in the cost range that many can afford. I've learned that just because it was made in China, does not make it a bad deal. I've purchased some very smooth writing & nice looking pens from China

It is an extraordinary work he is doing. He has about 2000 pens. Like he said in one of his post, in India most people cannot afford these very high-end pens. His reviews provide information on pens in the cost range that many can afford. I've learned that just because it was made in China, does not make it a bad deal. I've purchased some very smooth writing & nice looking pens from China

+1 to that.

And if I am not wrong he has done handwriten reviews of over 150 pens on FPN. He had posted a pic on FB with a room/hall full of Pens put on shelves - just like we have books in libraries.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

+1 to that.

And if I am not wrong he has done handwriten reviews of over 150 pens on FPN. He had posted a pic on FB with a room/hall full of Pens put on shelves - just like we have books in libraries.

Yes sir. A great work. It deserves special mention. The work deserves respect for the sheer labour and persistence involved. Salute to him

My Crystal has got a competitor....

My Spear....

Spear: Superb Balance, 3-in-1 filler, Form Follow Function Design, Good Jowo Nib, Costs merely 1200/- INR with a Schmidt converter

Crystal: Thick Impressive pen, Stunning, Eye Catchy, Looks costlier than what it is,Limited Edition, Bock Nib, Decent Flex and Duo tone Nib,Eye Dropper Costs 1900/- with the German Nib...

Both are from same Brand i.e. ASApens.

WHich is the best....

I am in a dilemma.....Ufffff

Two tones are usually better. Pls. share the pic of the collection if you could

As desired, my clutch of Airmail & Wality pens. Predominantly 69s with a few 71s thrown in. The second & third pens from right are rare ebonites

post-44171-0-49559200-1418314791_thumb.jpg

A lifelong FP user...

As desired, my clutch of Airmail & Wality pens. Predominantly 69s with a few 71s thrown in. The second & third pens from right are rare ebonites

attachicon.gifAirmail-Wality (1280x829).jpg

Wonderful collection Mr. Deepak. I today got one Wallity 71Jt. My experience has been sub optimal. Nib was poor and ultimately had to equip it with a Doctor nib before I could even write with it.

Have you too faced this problem.

In a few cases I did find nibs to be poor. This problem is more with their single-tone nib. The two-tones write well, generally. Of all Indian nibs, I find these are the least temperamental. My writing is small, and I find these nibs put down really thin lines.

(Edit - large hands + tiny keyboard = typos galore)

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...

+1 to all those who think there should be no best pen... I would be loath to single out one or two, but I would like to give a call out to these among my "preciousss-es" (if you get the drift).:

Ratnamson Supreme with custom 14K nib (one of a kind),

Deccan Author/Aurelius (love the way it writes),

Gama Kaveri & Revolution (lovely Jowo nibs in Indian Ebonite pens - best of both worlds),

ASA Athlete (probably the best stock nib in all of the Indian pens I own)

Yet to write with the ASA Spear, but it has an excellent balance in the hand.

Cheers

Sudhir

EDITED to correct a typo.

Edited by Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

Where can I, living in the US, purchase a Deccan Advocate?

You can try directly with the Deccan guys. Advocates are not available all the time, so there may be a bit of waiting...

A lifelong FP user...

You can try directly with the Deccan guys. Advocates are not available all the time, so there may be a bit of waiting...

Thank you for getting back to me! Do they have a website or number I can call?

attachicon.gifAirmail-Wality (1280x829).jpg

That's quite a collection. Very nice.

I put my savings to test

Where can I, living in the US, purchase a Deccan Advocate?

Most likely ASA will come out with similar model with German nibs !

I put my savings to test

From a purely utilitarian view, I have found Athlete to be very good, perhaps rate it at top.

i totally agree with anup ji

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Well of all the Indian pens that i am using following are my favorites:

1. ASA Spear : Green Rippled - Recently procured, Simply glides through every page.
  2. Gama Kuyil : Matte Black - My Daily workhorse
  3. Parker Vector Metallix (Made in India) : been with me for past 11 years and still going strong. Though i broke the clip of the cap but people at luxor replaced the same free of cost including the barrel.

vaibhav mehandiratta

Parker Vector Metalix is usually the first pen a person gets in India. In NCR , Parker Vector is the only pen available in the name of Fountain Pens, which is really sad. But they are good writers for their price

Sir, you would understand it when I say.

You know what a great fan of Athlete I am. However I have been using crystal and Airborne for a few days. These pens have grown on me. Expecially, the Crystal with a Bock nib. I ordered Pilot Black as you suggested and now the pen is working like a charm. Loved it.

HI Mohit

Pilot Black..... Please share the pics or exact model no.

vaibhav mehandiratta

HI Mohit

Pilot Black..... Please share the pics or exact model no.

Pilot black is the ink!!!

It works wonderfully with Pilot MR and Crystal. Honestly speaking, I got many pens and some really good ones but crystal with bock nib is undoubtedly the best among them all. I love writing with it. I know that best is subjective but I am pretty sure that any one who would own it would rank it among top three of his pens.