The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dropped My Le Grand...now Leaks On My Fingers When Writting :-(

leaking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Comet

Comet

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:28

I was getting ready for work this week and my Le Grand Fountain pen got knocked off my dresser and landed flat on the wooden floor. There are no visible ctracks.  Unfortunately I am getting ink on my fingers after the mishap.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 14:15

Have you fully cleaned inside the cap?

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,848 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 16:28

I'd take it to MB and enquire about their repair service.
My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery & Homer. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#4 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 16:59

As Brandon points out, MB has a repair service.

But, I'd go with Jar's suggestion first.

A drop, or fall, may have ejected some ink into the cap. This will get onto the threads, the grip...everywhere.

Give it a thorough cleaning - incl inside the cap. If the problem persists, then go to MB - or post back here for advice from our experts.

Good luck.

#5 thebanker

thebanker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2014 - 19:23

Try cleaning the inside of the cap first.  I have had a newly inked FP dripped excess ink in the cap and it would make contact with the grip section when closed.

MB repair or a good pen shop.

#6 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:07

Agree. Flush the pen and the cap out and clean completely.

If it still leaks, check with a tissue paper to see where the leak is. Is it near the join between the nib section, feed, collar? If it's a micro-crack then it's off to the repairer. 

Obviously, don't fill the pen with bulletproof Noodler's if you're testing a leak. Something nice and washable :P

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#7 Comet

Comet

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 16:44

Thanks guys.  I cleaned out the cap, flushed it out and refilled with ink.  Problem solved!  Thanks again!

#8 Mister Mont Blanc

Mister Mont Blanc

Mr. Montblanc has cheated and fallen in love with Mr. Visconti

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2014 - 18:22

Thanks guys.  I cleaned out the cap, flushed it out and refilled with ink.  Problem solved!  Thanks again!

Great to hear!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaking

Sponsored Content

|